Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

• RMweb Gold

You wouldn't need a runround loop if a through-cabled TDM set with a DVT was used.

Is the Pretendolino still about? If not, there are rakes of TDM Mk3s stabled at Norwich. I am not sure if any would be available on a Saturday though.

Wait for Saphos/Locomotive services, i understand Mr Hoskings is buying two class 90’s a rake of mk3’s and a HST to join the historic fleet.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I collected 035 from my local dealer yesterday which was from the second Hornby delivery as promised.

Absolutely delighted with it.

(Just wondering, would anyone consider selling me a single arm pantograph from an 87 010?  I want to replace the cross arm one from my 035 to make it suitable for mid 1980's. Can swap if anyone is looking for a cross arm!  Will post this request in the "wanted" section as well)

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I collected 035 from my local dealer yesterday which was from the second Hornby delivery as promised.

Absolutely delighted with it.

(Just wondering, would anyone consider selling me a single arm pantograph from an 87 010?  I want to replace the cross arm one from my 035 to make it suitable for mid 1980's. Can swap if anyone is looking for a cross arm!  Will post this request in the "wanted" section as well)

Just contact Hornby spares department and I’m sure they’d either sell you a new one or swop it over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rather late in the day, I have got my pair. My example of 87 010 (Intercity Swallow) arrived with the top of the pantograph detached and taped to the roof the wrong way round. It tends to fall off when I try to clip it on. Are they all like that?

Sounds broken in which case there would be uproar if they all arrived like yours has.  I would exchange it or ask for my money back.  If you bought it on ebay was the description matching what you describe?

Sounds broken in which case there would be uproar if they all arrived like yours has.  I would exchange it or ask for my money back.  If you bought it on ebay was the description matching what you describe?

Many thanks for that. It came from a retailer. It might be a factory bodge.

• 2 weeks later...

What new livery would you like to see next; from Hornby-

BR Blue (as per Robert Burns but with an orange cant rail lining circa early 1980s with high speed pan or late 70s with CrossArm.

NSE livery 87012 Back the Bid bulled up special

Porterbrook Purple 87002

Black L&NWR livery 87019

Caledonian Sleeper 87002

Executive livery high speed pan (or the oddball 87009 with Stone Faiveley pan) - half grey wrap arounds, half grey below cab sides with non wrap arounds or grey windows only. pre or post TDMs and/or high intensity headlight.

First GBRf livery 87022 or 87028

Experimental grey livery 87006 City of Glasgow large logo

Cotswold Rail livery

DRS livery

Executive with red buffer beams such as 87021 (I don't know why only a few 87s got the red buffer beam treatment).

INTERCITY with red buffer beams and full yellow front ends and black front window frames.

Any of overseas Bulgarian liveries if you model that region

Any other incarnation you care to favour...…….

I think personally I would be down to a choice of an Executive version or the Experimental Inter-City Large logo.

87012 'The Olympian' - "Back the Bid London 2012" as prepared by the crack painters at Top Shed 1A and named at Euston by Mike Power of the ODA.

87019 'Association of Community Rail Partnerships' as prepared by the competing painters at LNWR Crewe and named at Crewe by Pete Waterman.

Two executive liveried for me - one as originally outshopped with a full set of jumper and RCH (TDM) front end connectors and one representing the last few which carried a very weatherbeaten executive livery with the jumper cables removed and just the RCH connectors on the front plus replacement headlight.

Although I'm not a fan of celebrity one-offs, the Purple People Eater "Porterbrook" livery would be nice to run on the circa 2004-5 final Mk3 workings, and could cash in on Accurascale's intended purple Deltic for the febrile OCD afflicted collector's market who like themes.

Looking at what they currently have to compliment any new 87s, a safe bet would be one of the Virgin celebrities, as long as they also managed to re-release their Mk3b DVT at the same time.

A bit of a calculated risk could be 87005 in blue, as this would fit in with other manufacturers coaches and Freightliners, and allow the more conscientious modeller to fit an aftermarket metal Faiveley Pantograph in lieu of unworkable floppy plastic.

Thanks again for your comment. The retailer replaced the model with the broken panto. Juddery running turned out to be nothing worse than very dirty wheels, so I think I got a demonstrator. The panto is still very delicate and reluctant to pose – much worse than the cross-arm version. All in all, I’m not very impressed. In my opinion, the pantos are much inferior to the ones on Bachmann’s 85 and the lighting is poor. Oddly, the cab lights come on with the night settling, when in reality they would be less likely to be left on because they would destroy the driver’s night vision. On the plus side, they are directionally controlled which is an area where Bachmann trails behind.

The plates are ferrous metal although, curiously, Hornby has chosen to paint the metal with sparkly paint (I’m starting to sound like a broken record on this topic). The nameplates are a step forward from the bulky plastic slabs but they are still not etched. The models look so fine that I shall be obtaining etched plates for them.

Hornby has knocked out an 87 which looks excellent and runs extremely well. It’s a very good starting point. New metal pantos which are poseable and ideally sprung for those enterprising enough to install OHLE and a complete internal re-wire and PCB for the lighting and the model would be superb. The question is, will Hornby do it?