Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

Nice one Patriot 87. 

Cheers for the tips- my modelling isn’t the best to be honest- but the tips you’ve made have given me some inspiration to get stuck in. 

Cheers Patriot 87

Edited by gazwire
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Patriot87003 said:

Thanks Gazwire! It’s on the to-do list to purchase and try a proper airbrush and learn a new skill, I haven’t been brave enough yet, also concentrated in recent years progressing my layout. I really wanted an IC Exec 87 with the new chassis, so I took the following steps:

• Step 1: Decent quality masking tape to mask the yellow areas. I used a Railmatch aerosol 1202 and gave two coats. Both came out quite thick/blobby, possibly because the can is at least two years old, or the temperature was quite cool.
  • Step 2: I wasn’t happy with the result, so I purchased Deluxe materials strip magic and carefully removed the layers of the yellow areas and took back to the bare plastic. I then used IPA alcohol to neutralise the strip magic.
  • Step 3: I brush coated two thin coats of matt white paint of the yellow cab areas to neutralise the dark plastic.
  • Step 4: I brush coated five thin coats of Railmatch 202 warning panel yellow enamel.
  • Step 5: Removed masking tape with fingers crossed! Was pleasantly surprised, with only a small amount of touching up required of the yellow cab areas.
  • Step 6: Mask and paint the Railmatch 201 executive dark grey areas.
  • Step 7: Mask and paint the Railmatch 200 executive light grey areas.
  • Step 8: Paint chassis and bogies matt black (mainly to cover the white pipes), with buffer beam given three thin coats of red.
  • Step 9: Apply transfers.

The biggest tip I’ve learnt over time is if brush painting, purchase a decent set of brushes with a range of widths, really can achieve a decent quality finish especially if thin coats are built up. I know it’s not as good as finish as from airbrushing, but I’m pleased with how it’s turned out.

ps. I agree and remember those 87 hauled trips along the WCML, also the sounds of the rheostatic breaking and heat released and smells of the brake pads when full service braking was whacked on!

Whislt I don't support brush painting, I think that it's still a good way to start. I suggest using "horse hair brushes". Also budget airbrshes work just as good. Buy one and learn. Then go for the more expensive ones.

Good job nonetheless.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 10/03/2019 at 06:16, Patriot87003 said:

Thanks Gazwire! It’s on the to-do list to purchase and try a proper airbrush and learn a new skill, I haven’t been brave enough yet, also concentrated in recent years progressing my layout. I really wanted an IC Exec 87 with the new chassis, so I took the following steps:

Go for it. Like most things, airbrushing nicely takes practice. I need a lot more!

You do not need a hugely expensive airbrush either. Avoid using aerosol propellants because they do not last very long. A compressor is definitly a good investment.

As for the model, Hornby did it with the MU cables removed & the TDM cables in the later position (The stowage sockets at the bottom were initially the other way up).

It would look nice with a set of MU cables stuck on but I can certainly understand some modeller's licence in leaving the TDM cables alone.

Thinking about it, I may do this to one of my Swallow models.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
Mentioning modding one of mine was an afterthought
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, GRUNFOS said:

Hi

Anyone chipped on yet? If so which have you used. Have tried 3 for my 87 009 but none are small enough. 

Thanks Paul.

10 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

What 3 decoders have you tried? Would be helpful if you listed those 3...

Haven't chipped mine yet, but I'd be very surprised if Hornby hadn't ensured its own R8249 would fit, so anything smaller should do so too.

• Agree 1

Fitted an R8249 into "Robert Burns" earlier today. The slot for the decoder easily contains the decoder, but the main problem is where to route the wiring. I eventually pushed as much of it into the slot for the decoder as I could. No problem getting the loco body back on after fitting.

• Informative/Useful 4

Hi 

I've tried a zen 360 with stay alive, lenz  gold and hattons 8 pin direct all of which were at hand and also to large. Will order a zen nano and see what happens.

here's a couple of pics of my renumbered 009 as runnig July 1976 and as class 81 was mentioned earlier a couple of one I've been working on. Need to speak to Lee to fit handrails and give it a squirt of blue and yellow. Hope the Heljan 86 is going to be a vast improvement on thier first effort.

Thanks Paul.

PICT0002 (2).JPG

PICT0005 (2).JPG

PICT0004 (2).JPG

PICT0009 (2).JPG

PICT0008 (2).JPG

Edited by GRUNFOS
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Apologies if ive missed this, but has anyone figured out a way to sort out the lighting problem, ie not have tail lights on when headlights are on? (On dcc)

Surely you would need to replace or re-engineer the main board to achieve this?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Surely you would need to replace or re-engineer the main board to achieve this?

I normally fit one of these (or one of the other variant if more suitable) and a six function decoder. For example, my Bachmann Class 46 Ixion which had no lights and was an eight pin socket, now has a 21pin decoder and front, tail and cab lights, all independently controlled.

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/accessories/adapterplatinen/21mtc-adapter-board-2/

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Added link that I missed :-(

As I follow the common procedure of fitting pipes and cosmetic couplings to one end and a tension lock coupler to the other, I get round the problem by taping over the rear contacts. One would think that Hornby would have learnt to design things better after the poor DCC provision in the 71s but sadly not. It’s a shame because in many respects the 87 is very good.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

As I follow the common procedure of fitting pipes and cosmetic couplings to one end and a tension lock coupler to the other, I get round the problem by taping over the rear contacts. One would think that Hornby would have learnt to design things better after the poor DCC provision in the 71s but sadly not. It’s a shame because in many respects the 87 is very good.

Indeed, I can't believe manufacturers are still equipping locos for an 8-pin decoder when 6-function chips are becoming the norm and enabling so much more functionality. Hornby aren't the only one sticking with 8-pin interfaces.

Roy

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Just received a 'coming soon' email from Hornby, which includes the Virgin livery Class 87. They advise that 'coming soon' means they are in transit to the UK. They also show the blue/grey mk 2fs and Intercity swallow 2fs as well.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had a RAILS update yesterday to say the opposite.  VT 87 019 now in production expected  release sometime in August.  id be tempted to replace the pan with a Bachmann one but not a clue if they are available as a spare.

the photo looks good though but ima waiting for Hornby to announce their next batch of liveries - hoping for one in executive original plain front high speed pan and half yellow half grey front ends or an early 80s blue one with orange cant rail pinstripe and high speed pan.  I reckon its another year or two away as we have 87002 and 87101 to follow.

are people still having issues fitting decoders in?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

not a clue about the best decoder (non sound) I would like to know...….

rails of Sheffield emailed today to say the new virgin trains 87 is now in stock £153 odd delivered.

move along then virgin and the announced blue 001/101 and Caledonian versions as we need to see a nice IC executive liveried 87 to come along.   

Edited by ThaneofFife

1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

not a clue about the best decoder (non sound) I would like to know...….

rails of Sheffield emailed today to say the new virgin trains 87 is now in stock £153 odd delivered.

move along then virgin and the announced blue 001/101 and Caledonian versions as we need to see a nice IC executive liveried 87 to come along.   

It's due in stock this week...