Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

I've masked off the roof area on both of mine, removed the bus bar and insulators and pantographs and resprayed with Halfords grey primer. Then gave everything  a light dusting of dark brown powder after it was reassembled. Will post some pic's over the weekend.

You are better off removing the body from the chassis than taking the bogies apart, a couple of pieces of plastic card will slide up between body and chassis and the body will slide off as its only retained by some clips.

Hope this helps.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, GRUNFOS said:

I've masked off the roof area on both of mine, removed the bus bar and insulators and pantographs and resprayed with Halfords grey primer. Then gave everything  a light dusting of dark brown powder after it was reassembled. Will post some pic's over the weekend.

You are better off removing the body from the chassis than taking the bogies apart, a couple of pieces of plastic card will slide up between body and chassis and the body will slide off as its only retained by some clips.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I got the body off without problems, but want to be able to wash dust and grease off the bogies and wheels before weathering, so working with the frames in situ not an option. 

5 hours ago, daveahudson said:

Bogie frames are fairly easy to remove. IIRC from when I took mine apart, there's a small screw to undo, then lever the clip at either end of the underside of the wheel sets with a small flat head screwdriver. 

Thanks - I'll try that! 

i think the white roof is another faux par in the same way as the early white battery charger debate but this was not picked up and corrected.  white was fine ex works from new = we got to Hornby in good time for them to change the artwork on the charger colour so that got changed to black but i think for the same reason the roof should have been light grey in its next chronological ex works make over once it received its name of "Robert Burns".  had i spotted this sooner i would have contacted Hornby.  i am not sure if the grey did run up the vertical back ends of the cab rooves.  I think it did but wil trawl some photos......

I guess its not end of the world stuff as that roof can easily be masked off and resprayed.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. Looking at the photo of H of E that I posted above, it looks quite a dark grey (though you would perhaps expect BR to paint with a grey they had in stock - that used on the upper body sides of carriages). Anyway, mine's going to get a darker grey to match the photo - NER freight grey I think. 

• RMweb Gold
On 15/12/2019 at 00:03, Jim76 said:

Apologies if this been covered before but I couldn’t find anything - what time period is the Blue 87 035 suitable for? I am guessing late 70s/early 80s?

Correct, it has the early pantograph and button headlight.

one thing about this headlight that mimics DC operation, is the button headlight on the real thing only worked when the loco was about to move / off when stopped.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

They look superb.

One of my favourite locomotives in the late 70's, early 80's.

Just to see 'that little loco' at the end of a huge passenger train, driver climb into the cab with 5 minutes to go, then with seconds, cooling fans fire up and off it goes ... so effortless!!

Al.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, GRUNFOS said:

A few pics of mine with grey roof area and renumbering.

The roof looks right. I was sceptical when you mentioned Halford's primer as I thought it was very light, but it's actually darker than I thought - the same colour as the NER freight grey I've used on mine (airbrushed  - I didn't fancy aerosoling!). 

• 2 weeks later...

A question for those that have detailed the cab interior further than what Hornby offer (which is just grey plastic!). How do you get the cabs out, the fitment looks a lot more permanent and solid than many other models do. I dont want to experiment and beak something. Any one else got a proven way to get them out?

Thanks

PS over xmas I got my hands on both the Bachmann 90 and the Hornby 87. Both are great models but i personally feel theres no doubt overall the Bachammn model is the better of the two when you consider they are about the same price.

Edited by sanspareil
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It looks like Hornby’s R3739 BR Blue version of 87001 Royal Scot /  Stephenson is on its way as my pre-order has been processed.

A bit of a shame the recently announced 2020 range doesn’t include any new liveries ... I guess because the delivery of the 2019 livery announcements of R3739 and the Caledonian 87002 R3751 have slipped into 2020. Hopefully the 2021 range will include an IC Executive version and maybe one or two others.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The recently released 87001 Stephenson / Royal Scot arrived safe and sound and runs lovely, bringing back fond memories of many trips up and down the WCML during the early 2000s. The goodie bag supplied also contains a metal nameplate of each name.

B4328267-9517-48A2-BFD0-24E9DC648B82.jpeg.b407c5621e7ddb510ad9e198e638176e.jpeg

922CEB05-5EEE-486A-8A1D-070FCE1F9050.jpeg.193899e220cb4ddf8e9758f8a28bcc6c.jpeg

D1AFC385-C242-4A07-B44E-65AA4E5B8D40.jpeg.7d3455d47f53faeb7fe0781402e0253e.jpeg

E18FADF2-B4F4-4A30-8CC4-66A84D6BCD8E.jpeg.690fcc78bc4aa7c28d282a0287cf7c06.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The pantograph contact strip looks different from the earlier versions of the 87. Has Hornby, by any chance, made it of metal so that it can run in contact with overhead  wires as shown in your excellent pictures?

The earlier models also had metal nameplates but they were printed, not etched.

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

The pantograph contact strip looks different from the earlier versions of the 87. Has Hornby, by any chance, made it of metal so that it can run in contact with overhead  wires as shown in your excellent pictures?

The earlier models also had metal nameplates but they were printed, not etched.

Many thanks. Regarding the pantograph, it’s the same style plastic pantograph (unfortunately!) ... so it’s only posable and I’m lucky in that once the pantograph height is extended past the ‘click’ in its raised position, it rests approx at the same height as the contact wire on my layout.

I’ve not yet opened the goodie bag to have a proper look at the nameplates, but I had a feel and the plates seemed much firmer and metallic compared to the previous releases.

23 hours ago, Patriot87003 said:

The recently released 87001 Stephenson / Royal Scot arrived safe and sound and runs lovely, bringing back fond memories of many trips up and down the WCML during the early 2000s. The goodie bag supplied also contains a metal nameplate of each name.

B4328267-9517-48A2-BFD0-24E9DC648B82.jpeg.b407c5621e7ddb510ad9e198e638176e.jpeg

922CEB05-5EEE-486A-8A1D-070FCE1F9050.jpeg.193899e220cb4ddf8e9758f8a28bcc6c.jpeg

D1AFC385-C242-4A07-B44E-65AA4E5B8D40.jpeg.7d3455d47f53faeb7fe0781402e0253e.jpeg

E18FADF2-B4F4-4A30-8CC4-66A84D6BCD8E.jpeg.690fcc78bc4aa7c28d282a0287cf7c06.jpeg

Beauty!

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

So most retailers seem to be offering a measly 10% below RRP on the new Class 87, hence £153 prices, which is an increase on the £130-140 the 87s were priced at when first released.

Hobby Shop Faversham however doing 87001 for £140 (plus postage)

https://hobb-e-mail.com/Hornby-r3739-br-87001-royal-scotstephenson---new-38356-p.asp

Amazon doing 87001 for £141.31 with FREE postage

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-R3739-Class-Royal-Stephenson/dp/B07N8CC2H2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=R3739+Hornby&qid=1582111912&sr=8-1

No connection with Hobby Shop, other than a satistifed customer

No connection with Amazon other than a lazy customer.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

So most retailers seem to be offering a measly 10% below RRP on the new Class 87, hence £153 prices, which is an increase on the £130-140 the 87s were priced at when first released.

Hobby Shop Faversham however doing 87001 for £140 (plus postage)

https://hobb-e-mail.com/Hornby-r3739-br-87001-royal-scotstephenson---new-38356-p.asp

Amazon doing 87001 for £141.31 with FREE postage

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-R3739-Class-Royal-Stephenson/dp/B07N8CC2H2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=R3739+Hornby&qid=1582111912&sr=8-1

No connection with Hobby Shop, other than a satistifed customer

No connection with Amazon other than a lazy customer.

Good morning,

Regarding the 10%, that is due to Hornby's new max discount limit for the first 6 weeks of a products release (similar to Bachmann's 15% for the first 8 weeks). After 6 weeks retailers are free to do as they wish with the price. 

Hope this helps

All the best

Charles 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, napierlion said:

Good morning,

Regarding the 10%, that is due to Hornby's new max discount limit for the first 6 weeks of a products release (similar to Bachmann's 15% for the first 8 weeks). After 6 weeks retailers are free to do as they wish with the price. 

Hope this helps

All the best

Charles 

Hmm, well in that case Amazon are undercutting Hornby's discount limit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up my 87001 - very happy with it, although I haven't had a good look at the pantograph yet.

Hornby notes that 87002 is due this month 

Cheers,

EDIT: Yeah another -1 for the pantograph. I've modified the mountings so that it's a loose fit and can be removed for storage.

Edited by 60800