Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Yes, I’m impressed that Hornby is not only listening but addressing the problem. However, if the pantograph is to bear on the overhead line, should the contact not be metal rather than plastic?

Hopefully Paul Isles can answer that. Normally in CAD images different colours mean different parts/materials. The pantograph head seems to have 2 colours. Maybe the head is a mix of materials?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

The forthcoming Hornby Class 91 has a sprung pantograph with metal parts as well. Maybe if it's a straight swap, future batches of the Class 87 will have it too. Or hopefully it will be sold as a spare. I'm sure many will be happy with this news.

1477381653_HornbyClass91Pantograph(2).jpg.349ed00e5cfbecc9f58ab452f5d398f8.jpg

544003305_HornbyClass91Pantograph(1).jpg.69ff722c3febb88ad67fbecd2d80aaba.jpg

Really like the look of this.

Please Hornby make them available as spares so we can upgrade our existing 87s.  Thanks,

• Agree 3

• 4 weeks later...

Someone in the facotory has 'touched up' the orange conduit on my Class 87 and smeared paint onto the body tumblehome.

Any advice for getting this off without damaging the model?

It is NOT smeared tampo printing but actual orange paint probably from a QC check. Bit of a mess.

Should is use a blunt blade? alcohol?

Any tips

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Someone in the factory has 'touched up' the orange conduit on my Class 87 and smeared paint onto the body tumblehome.

It is NOT smeared tampo printing but actual orange paint probably from a QC check. Bit of a mess.

Any tips

Cannot give you any actual product suggestions (as I normally have to use alternative products since I am not in the UK), but whatever you do decide on using, be very very gentle with it.

I have in the past I have used two methods (you'll have to try these are your own risk):-

- Fine 2000 grit sandpaper very gently to remove a paint defect on a Hornby Class 90. It was successful.
- Isopropyl alochol/paint thinner/nail polish remover very gently on a Dapol Class 68. This was successful.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Someone in the facotory has 'touched up' the orange conduit on my Class 87 and smeared paint onto the body tumblehome.

Any tips

T-cut on a cotton bud

• Agree 2

Guest Half-full
5 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Cannot give you any actual product suggestions (as I normally have to use alternative products since I am not in the UK), but whatever you do decide on using, be very very gentle with it.

I have in the past I have used two methods (you'll have to try these are your own risk):-

- Fine 2000 grit sandpaper very gently to remove a paint defect on a Hornby Class 90. It was successful.
- Isopropyl alochol/paint thinner/nail polish remover very gently on a Dapol Class 68. This was successful.

If its acetone based, avoid like the plague!!!

Finally got round to opening my R3656 Virgin 87019. Overall it is a nice model and captures the look of the 87 well. It runs superbly and the underframe is excellent with many added details. The bogies also look great too.

Unfortunately, at £170 rrp, I feel there are a number of shortcomings with the model though. I was surprised to see this model doesn't have opening doors. All my other top range Hornby models seem to have this feature (08,09,31,43,50,56,60), even the matching Virgin DVT has them. I realise not everyone appreciates this feature (same could be said about sprung buffers) but when other cheaper Hornby models have it I would have thought this model would have had them too. Perhaps Hornby were unable to fit them due to the drive mechanism.

The interior cab is all grey molded plastic. Hornby have not even attempted to highlight any dials, gauges, levers etc as one would expect in their other high end models. Even the seats are the same grey plastic colour. The back of the cab, also grey plastic, has no detail at all. It really is a disappointment when compared to all other high end Hornby models.

As mentioned by others the pantograph is a poor representation of the real thing. Hopefully they will start to use the new 91 pantograph if it proves popular. The 8 pin dcc socket/ sound provision also limits functionality. All other manufacturers have moved on to 21 pin sockets. I really wish Hornby could design/ wire up a 21 pin board on all their models, even shipped with an adaptor to allow Hornby 8 pin decoders, therefore allowing people to upgrade light functions using 21 pin decoders if they wish.

I've noticed the TDM cables at the pantograph end are painted plane yellow yet the ones at the other end have a white and red hatching pattern. I assume this a mistake by Hornby. I cannot find any pictures of 87019 with plane yellow TDM cable ends. At first I thought it was just my model but looking online it appears that it is not just my model. In fact it looks like 87001 and 87010 Hornby models also have this mistake, just at the pantograpgh end. Annoyingly, the cheap Railroad version of 87010 is painted correctly. It reminds me of the livery error on the high end Virgin HST that the Railroad one didn't have. Can anyone confirm if it is a mistake by Hornby or if there was a time when it ran like this.

1152898978_Virginclass87.jpg.31519e8e953c1bba2df4d3e99f5c37ae.jpg

Overall I feel like the designers spent too long perfecting the underframe and ended up rushing on the cab, pantograph, electronics, etc. It is a nice model but at £170 rrp it should have been much much better. After all, this is the same rrp as the new Accurascale 37. It's cab console will not just be detailed but will actually be illimunated! Where other manufacturers are trying to innovate and improve features on similarly priced models (Dapol 59- diesel smoke, Hattons 66-rotating axle boxes, Bachmann 90- servo pantograph, Accurascale 37- illuminated cab controls, etc) Hornby aren't just standing still but appear to be going backwards in many areas with this model. It's a good attempt but could have been much better for the price.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

is there any desire here to see the next release based on the recently repainted 87002 ?

Given that its similar to the first release in inter city swallow livery I personally dont see any point if a renumber can achieve the same result but it feels like there is a preference to release models of present day prototypes. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

is there any desire here to see the next release based on the recently repainted 87002 ?

Given that its similar to the first release in inter city swallow livery I personally dont see any point if a renumber can achieve the same result but it feels like there is a preference to release models of present day prototypes. 

I'd pick up an RTR model of 87002 if it saved me a little renumbering.

4 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

It is actually different - fire bottles and NRN arials on the roof.

But having produced it in Caledonian Sleeper livery, I can't see a re-run of the same identity within 12 months.

I would certainly get one if they did, one of my favourite liveries

28 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

It is actually different - fire bottles and NRN arials on the roof.

But having produced it in Caledonian Sleeper livery, I can't see a re-run of the same identity within 12 months.

I would certainly get one if they did, one of my favourite liveries

If they want to release present-day liveries then options on UK rails are limited. At least producing the same loco in different liveries makes more sense than when they did 87010 in the same livery with different tooling. its Intercity Executive livery I'd like to see

Were the fire bottles and NRN aerials added during Virgin liveried days then?

• Like 2

I believe that the NRN aerials were fitted from about 1988. The fire bottles  were from virgin era. I believe they were to replace the original fire fighting system with something more environmentally friendly. I understand it was inergen. All the freightliner 86s were done

• Informative/Useful 1

On 12/06/2020 at 04:33, ThaneofFife said:

My personal preference is that they move onto IC Executive which lasted nearly 10 years in service, almost as long as their use in blue (and there's three options in that minefield, with the original jumper cables, with the jumpers and the TDM connections, and without the jumpers and just the TDMs to keep them happy!) and then possibly one of the "celebrity" repaints like Purple Ronnie or the ACoRP Black livery, although personally not the faux NSE livery, that would be too much.  My bet is the next releases will be Exec and a celeb.

Of course, there's also un-named blue as delivered, although I suspect Hornby would consider that guise less attractive than a "namer".

Once 002 starts to run on the main line in whatever use LSL have planned for it there might be interest in doing a model then but perhaps as a dealer special.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Personally intercity executive for me with a short name to enable a renumbering. Then possibly 87002 in the purple. Not so keen on the NSE and ACORP one. I remember it was a rail magazine competition to design a livery with two suggested pictures one in the NSE one in the black. After lots of nice entries we got the NSE one and the black one. I always felt cheated that some of the other interesting entries weren't used. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PM47079 said:

Personally intercity executive for me with a short name to enable a renumbering. Then possibly 87002 in the purple. Not so keen on the NSE and ACORP one. I remember it was a rail magazine competition to design a livery with two suggested pictures one in the NSE one in the black. After lots of nice entries we got the NSE one and the black one. I always felt cheated that some of the other interesting entries weren't used. 

Yes, always thought that was predetermined. Wasn’t it Rail Express?

13 hours ago, PM47079 said:

Personally intercity executive for me with a short name to enable a renumbering. 

If Hornby continue to use their current printing process (& I see no reason why they should change it), numbers & names are easy to remove with a little T cut.

Removing a short name just means a little less work, but it is not a case of covering it with a larger nameplate.

• Agree 1

On 13/06/2020 at 18:23, wombatofludham said:

My personal preference is that they move onto IC Executive which lasted nearly 10 years in service, almost as long as their use in blue (and there's three options in that minefield, with the original jumper cables, with the jumpers and the TDM connections, and without the jumpers and just the TDMs to keep them happy!) and then possibly one of the "celebrity" repaints like Purple Ronnie or the ACoRP Black livery, although personally not the faux NSE livery, that would be too much.  My bet is the next releases will be Exec and a celeb.

Of course, there's also un-named blue as delivered, although I suspect Hornby would consider that guise less attractive than a "namer".

Once 002 starts to run on the main line in whatever use LSL have planned for it there might be interest in doing a model then but perhaps as a dealer special.

There were several variations on how Intercity Executive was applied too - (1) there was all yellow cabsides of the first few (at least 87012 and 87018) and black BR arrows on the yellow cabsides, (2) then the dark grey was extended to wrap round the cab front, then (3) the BR Arrow was moved to the dark grey bodyside in white and then latterly (4) the yellow on the front was extended up to the windscreens. Some of these variations tie up with the multiple working connection changes but there are exceptions.

87012 Carlisle

87009 1S57 0945 Euston - Glasgow Central at Euston 08.09.1984

Double Headed Class 87

Evening 87 At Winwick Junction.

• Like 8

• 5 months later...

Has anyone got any tips for removing the cab interior? I'm currently going through some of my locos with the intent on fitting drivers and it looks like the cab is screwed to the PCB from the top then glued to the underside of the cab roof

• 1 month later...

so great news today for fans of the 7.  i reckon its an easy win for Hornby releasing this pair as they go so well together i envisage many modellers will snap up both together.......i was hoping for 87006 for a while now and glad it on the way......hopefully the front has the correct equipment represented and that the roof area is grey not white.

release date is Nov 2021 so I hope the minor flaws are addressed.   will drop Hornby a line on my thoughts.

if Bachmann release a class 81 I think thats me well and truly catered for iro of AC locos......never thought I would see the day.

48 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

so great news today for fans of the 7.  i reckon its an easy win for Hornby releasing this pair as they go so well together i envisage many modellers will snap up both together.......i was hoping for 87006 for a while now and glad it on the way......hopefully the front has the correct equipment represented and that the roof area is grey not white.

release date is Nov 2021 so I hope the minor flaws are addressed.   will drop Hornby a line on my thoughts.

if Bachmann release a class 81 I think thats me well and truly catered for iro of AC locos......never thought I would see the day.

What is the news?