Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

its more detail about the 87 models that will be available in the jan 2017 edition of Hornbys magazine. think the models are penned to Q3.

No fraid not. The list is said to show all new models announced on The Engine Shed and at Warley, which will be produced during the calendar year and releases of existing models in new liveries due to be released in the first quarter. If you click on the new items it gives more details of the estimated release dates, they are in Quarter 3 or 4.

Noone seems to have pointed out the moulded multi-working gear on the front end yet.

Is this something that everyone is ok with? I just would have thought that in this day and age, a separate moulding would have been the order of the day, and could otherwise spoil the front end completely. I understand that separate whatever can cause increased cost, but for quite a major piece of detailing, it kind of compromises it somewhat.

If it were me, I would most certainly be cutting off and replacing, which means a partial respray of course..........

cheers

Andy

BR blue with cross arm pantograph, will this be the first OO model with a correct cross arm pan?

First RTR maybe, but some of us got there over 30 years ago :) .

Here are a few examples:

post-317-0-42551500-1480193522_thumb.jpg

post-317-0-55216200-1480193589_thumb.jpg

[Edit]: I should also add the pans shown were being used as well...

Edited by Gordon H
  • Like 7

First RTR maybe, but some of us got there over 30 years ago :) .

Here are a few examples:

attachicon.giffreightlinersmall.jpg

attachicon.gifM6bridgesmall.jpg

[Edit]: I should also add the pans shown were being used as well...

Seem to remember that layout - thought it was cracking.  Was it at Tilbury Riverside station?

What happened to the layout?  I'd say it would still stand up well today.

Someone please let Hornby know to get rid of the radio aerials on the cross-arm pan version...

Andi

As i said, Hornby are listening to customers now.  So I'm sure they would be interested to hear comments and be made aware of any corrections that could be made before production gets too far advanced.

attachicon.gifClass-87-A-2.jpg

This picture is taken from a link from a trade e-mail we have just received.

Definitely a cross-arm pantograph, and the centre headlight is of the correct style too.

Noted as being for release in quarter 4 2017.

Now that one I am liking very much but I dont think it should have the X type aerials on the roof as they were a later addition.

Edit-

Dagworth has made the same point.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

Having lived all my life on the WCML (at least the periods where I've been at home) the AC electrics have always had a special place in my heart. And of the AC electrics the Class 87 was my favourite, I thought that the two window front gave it a nicer front end appearance than the three window Class 86. I actually think the old Lima Class 87 can scrub up well and does a lot better than most other models of its age but to get a new super detail Class 87 is a dream release for me. Thank you to Hornby.

Appetite well and truly whetted!

For those who have commented on the radio aerials on the CAD for the BR Blue version, I have sent an e-mail off to Hornby to point this out.

(Now then, 87 029 for my Oxford Mark 3s with a Mark 1 catering vehicle, another pair for the Ravenscraig coils, a pair for a Freightliner, one for a set of Bachmann Mark 2s...........)

Does anybody know if there is a central point of contact/discussion/suggestion box with Hornby on this new model if here is not the place or is it a simple case of firing them an email?

The cab roof shows some centrally running lines on the roof front to back but I presume its simply because this is a rough sample.  I think they've got the depth of the front handrail under the cab front windows spot on.  not too thin.  looks good.   

good to see theyve fitted dummy like corridor facade's behind the 2 x cab-to-cab side corridor windows - Id like to see a couple of small LED lights in here the same as the Bachmann Class 85 but independent of other lighting.  weve already established that little extras like this really dont add much to the overall cost.

that said I wonder what, if any, "tweaks" H can still or are prepared to do given that the RRP has now been set already at £169.99?

Independent cab lighting would be another nice touch.  but provided the shape is bob on with a good heavy chassis I'm sure most folk will happily buy them anyway and add the extra lights themselves or sprung buffers if these are fixed.  Not sure if Hornby are moving away from sprung buffers now.........if they do them then I would like to see the sprung moving shanks behind the buffer heads in shiny silver/bare metal for a very real appearance.

Id like to see a full side profile shot of the 87 to get a better perspective on the loco length and its bogies.  If anyone is at the show today and could do that, that would be great/useful.

Tis' strange though that Hornby are going for 87010 which the old Limby model adorned - they really should reconsider a new number/name for that IC version.

Wonder how long itll be before we see some special "commissions" announced too. doubt it will be that long.

wonder too if it allows drop in wheels for EM/ P4? 

Wonder how long itll be before we see some special "commissions" announced too. doubt it will be that long.

The problem with doing special commissions with Hornby is the length of run required. Last I heard was 1,000 required. With a price of £170 per loco, that is one hell of a gamble. 'Thane of Fife', I suggest you do not hold your breath on any specials being done.

As an aside, Bachmann do runs of 500-ish, and I have commissioned runs of 200 from Dapol

And here is the Hornby class 87 decorated in IC swallow livery "King Arthur"

post-15098-0-20281000-1480242340_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-76433800-1480242357_thumb.jpg

Brought for £40 a few years back (note this is the former Lima model not the new 87). Considering this comes from the last batch of 87s they did, I agree it is strange choice for an all new model.

Edit: dam why does the phone and site have different notions on which way is up for a photo!

Edited by JSpencer

Main things I noted: aerials shouldn't be there on the early version; roof tanks shouldn't be there on the later one as they weren't fitted until Virgin days. Also rather disappointed by the fact they aren't even going to try to spring the high speed panto. Also the wheels in the cad image look superb, but not so good on the mock up. I hope they change the wheels so they are more like the cad image. Spoke to the Hornby chap, and Virgin is quite high on the livery priorities and he got rather coy when I asked if an 86 was following! :)

Ps unfortunately I cannot upload my pics as the files are too large :(

Edited by daveahudson

I may respray this into "Back the Bid London 2012/ Host City London 2012" class 87012.

Should Hornby wish to have the livery diagram as used by paint supremo Phil at Top Shed 1A, I'm sure someone could oblige....  :angel:

And here is the Hornby class 87 decorated in IC swallow livery "King Arthur"

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Brought for £40 a few years back (note this is the former Lima model not the new 87). Considering this comes from the last batch of 87s they did, I agree it is strange choice for an all new model.

Edit: dam why does the phone and site have different notions on which way is up for a photo!

JSpencer

I hope you don't mind but it was driving me bonkers

post-28417-0-49675400-1480248827.jpg

post-28417-0-82246400-1480248848.jpg

JohnS

• RMweb Gold

There is something very wrong with the side grills, they don't seem to have the surround at all whereas it should be a surround that stands proud of the vertical slats of the grill.The grills on the EP seem to have the slats at the depth that the surround should be, or possibly more proud than they should be, the slats should be set back a lot further than they are at present.

post-6674-0-62426400-1480249373_thumb.png

Edit: I don't want to be seen to be just finding fault, I want (no, I NEED) this loco to be right!

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

hopefully a few of those involved at HQ will come here and keep everyone abreast of progress and where possible put it out there for modellers to make observations/suggestions.

itll pay them back in the long run.  they don't want a Heljan Class 86-esque model on their hands and the poo pooing that would follow from us lot.

• Like 1

When I worked at the GEC in rugby, Willans Works 1985 – 1986, I operated an antiquated Herberts Batchmatic CNC lathe, and from my working position, at the back of the light machine shop in summer, with the bay doors open, I had a grandstand view of the north flyover approach to Rugby station. I got so used to seeing classes 86 and 87 standing on and rushing under the flyover that I started to take it for granted, and it was all happening in glorious rail blue – I’d give my eye teeth to go back and watch it all now!

Another plus to working there was that if I did overtime on a Wednesday (if I remember right) at about 6.00pm if I nipped out with a cup of tea for a quick break I could see the APT pass by. Those were the days, I don’t know why I ever moved on!

• Like 1

OK my point - class 87s have a special place in my memory, but they would maybe need a comparable class 86 as companion sooner or later. The way things are going lately, someone might come up with what's necessary, and what with the Bachmann 85, maybe recreating the scene I remember above might be possible.

• Like 1

A welcome announcement, but if Virgin isn't being produced gives me a chance to finnish off my Lima model. Initial comments; not sure about the moulded on jumpers, and now Ive had a chance to look at the pictures on here, yes the side grill vents being proud of the upper bodyside is a little odd, other it looks a nice model, look forward to seeing more EPs etc

NL

• Like 1

was that called How Gill?

The layout was 'High Gill', and was located at Riverside Railway Society's clubroom at Tilbury Riverside Station.

Fully fitted for OHLE operation, and (eventually) controlled using route selection via a BBC Model B computer with a light pen.

It was sold to a couple of members of Southend Model Railway club in the early 90's, but I have not seen it since.