Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

• 2 weeks later...

So two new additions this year to the 87 range;-

87001 Royal Scot / Stephenson in BR Blue livery

87002 Royal Sovereign in Caledonian livery

The image of the latter looks really nice.

87002 looks a bit light to me, but I think dark blue varies a lot on the ambient light.

I usually see it from about 3-4 platforms away at the north end of a sleeper in Euston at about 0715, so probably not the best lighting to make a harsh judgment!

Is 87001 as it was when Virgin did their heritage liberties? Didn't realise it had a different name either side on the prototype...

I've been trying to work this out. AIUI in Virgin days, c. 2003 it was Stephenson on both sides and later on in preservation became the dual named version we have today. So as I want 87001 in Virgin 2003 condition, I will have to rename one side of the loco!

• Like 1

It was refitted with the Royal Scot nameplates prior to running from Willesden to York in November 2005, so never in service with dual names.

And just to complicate things, the Stephenson plates are different height locations to the Royal Scot plates, so not a quick overlay. Rather remove, revarnish etc.

HOPEFULLY - Hornby will not print the plates, but rather provide etched plates with templates to locate them? Or print one side (Stephenson) and supply two Stephenson and one Royal Scot set of etched plates

Too much to ask?

Edited by G-BOAF

And just to complicate things, the Stephenson plates are different height locations to the Royal Scot plates, so not a quick overlay. Rather remove, revarnish etc.

HOPEFULLY - Hornby will not print the plates, but rather provide etched plates with templates to locate them? Or print one side (Stephenson) and supply two Stephenson and one Royal Scot set of etched plates

Too much to ask?

The plates from InterCity Royal Sovreign removed very easily with T cut & a cotton bud, leaving only a slightly shiny surface where the rubbing took place. If 87001's names are printed the same, then a light coat of varnish should finish removing any sign that they were ever there at all.

• Like 1

From the website mock up, it has the correct BW pan, fire extinguisher tanks, aerials, but looks like it's got multiple working cables on the cab fronts. Shouldn't it just have TDM push-pull cables? Might just be an oversight on the mock up...

just seems rather an odd choice to have a dual named model in the form of 87001/101.  

with all the intercity swallow and executive liveried Mk2s flooding onto the market now youd have bet they would have launched an executive version or at least another inter-city version.

this version though.....has it ever seen use hauling trains?   I thought I knew my 87s quite well but tbh this one has thrown me - I am aware 87001 is at the NRM in blue so is this effectively a museum piece? 

to me its seems borderline in the same camp as the make believe Lima 87022 in large logo was...….

just seems rather an odd choice to have a dual named model in the form of 87001/101.  

with all the intercity swallow and executive liveried Mk2s flooding onto the market now youd have bet they would have launched an executive version or at least another inter-city version.

this version though.....has it ever seen use hauling trains?   I thought I knew my 87s quite well but tbh this one has thrown me - I am aware 87001 is at the NRM in blue so is this effectively a museum piece? 

to me its seems borderline in the same camp as the make believe Lima 87022 in large logo was...….

I wonder how many people will know it carried two names at one point in time?

I can also imagine the number of people who will open it up, find out it has two names, think it's an error and then send it back or try and sell it on eBay at a premium.  :jester:

• Like 2

Odd choice, yes. It is not 87101 though.

87001 was originally named Stephenson but this was later changed to Royal Scot with Stephenson being transferred to 87101.

87101 was later scrapped & its name was re-applied to 1 side only of 87001. I believe this was after it was preserved.

It is in this condition which the model is being depicted.

I can also imagine the number of people who will open it up, find out it has two names, think it's an error and then send it back or try and sell it on eBay at a premium.  :jester:

I'm hoping that anyone who opens it up will find the haunting spirit of 87031's transformer...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just to interject and spoil all the conspiracy theories etc, 87001 is being produced as part of the NRM (it’s hard to call it by its ‘new’ title of Railway Museum) Collection, hence the dual naming and Era 11 designation (because that’s how it appears currently).

We measured 87001 at the NRM on the day after we measured 87035 at Crewe as a cross check to the measurements. Was an interesting trip across the Pennines as we tried to outrun the snow that was coming in....

• Like 2

Just to interject and spoil all the conspiracy theories etc, 87001 is being produced as part of the NRM (it’s hard to call it by its ‘new’ title of Railway Museum) Collection, hence the dual naming and Era 11 designation (because that’s how it appears currently).

We measured 87001 at the NRM on the day after we measured 87035 at Crewe as a cross check to the measurements. Was an interesting trip across the Pennines as we tried to outrun the snow that was coming in....

So will it have a gloss finish??

You cant see both sides of a model at once.

Many modellers run locos with different numbers either side, so why does the name matter ?

Unless you've got a mirror as a backscene.  :O

Personally I couldn't run this particular model with the "Royal Scot" side showing because it never ran in the guise Hornby are producing it hence I said its more suited maybe to display as a nod to the NRM loco on whatever side you care to choose.  The NRM loco looks to have white rimmed tyres so maybe we will see Hornby add this to the actual model?   The original MU jumpers need to go though but the website image may only be an initial illustration.

However I have long been advocate of dual numbering where appropriate but really you need ensure that both locos being modelled have the same equipment  although I draw the line at pristine on one side and weathered on the other but I am sure somebody thinks that's a cool idea. :sungum:  

I see from the Hattons website that it has listed this model  "As preserved" and the above has confirmed it is the NRM loco.

Edited by ThaneofFife

• RMweb Gold

Credit to Hornby for announcing two additional liveries for the Class 87/0 to arrive during 2019, as don't forget the Virgin Liveried 87019 is still shown as due during July 2019.

I was also a bit surprised to see 87001 in it's current dual-named NRM static display announced, especially following the release of the as-built BR Blue 87035 in the first batch last year, but having thought about it, is quite a versatile move:

- The proposed dual-named version is 'current & modern', has been in that configuration since 2005 (so one of the longest durations of the same livery and name of any 87: Amazing how time whizzes by!), and who knows how long it will remain dual-named in BR Blue in the future. Also, a technicality is that it has been seen on the main line in this guise .... during it's light-engine move to the NRM on 11th November 2005: https://www.rail-net.org.uk/jpgpage.php?picid=9132&storyid=246

- For those modelling 87001 in BR Blue between 2003 and 2005 when it was named STEPHENSON on both sides - a simple re-naming of one side will be required. Or as others have mentioned, simply operate the model with the Royal-Scot on the non-seen side! :sungum: . Note that Hornby currently have Virgin liveried Mark 3's and a Mark 3 DVT out and available in many shops ... so a bit of joined up thinking.

- The model could also be renumbered and renamed to 87002 Royal Sovereign in it's 2008 to 2015 BR Blue livery (I think that's when it was repainted into it's current Caledonian sleeper livery).

Already within a year or so of it's release, Hornby have covered most of the life of the 87's with at least one livery/operating configuration:

- 1974 As-Built until fitted with Brecknell Willis Pantographs: 87035 BR Blue

- Sectorisation until Post-Privatisation: 87004 IC Swallow

- Privatisation until fleet withdrawal during 2005: 87019 Virgin

- After-life/current: 87001 BR Blue and 87002 Caledonian Sleeper

The only significant gap not covered as ToF has mentioned is the post-BR Blue/experimental period of IC-Exec during the 1980's. It's also top of my wishlist ... but I can understand why it's probably lower down Hornby's to-do list as the time period is relatively small, also the number of sub-liveries/variations/TDM & detail configurations was probably at it's greatest. Also, the only coaches currently/recently in production in IC Exec livery are in the form of the Bachmann Mark 2F's ... so less likely for Hornby to produce the 87's in IC Exec until other options/liveries are produced that better match it's own plans for coaches (eg. Hornby Mark 2F's in IC Swallow as announced yesterday).

Overall, I'm very happy that Hornby are showing continued commitment to further 87's ... fingers crossed the 2020 range will contain a few more liveries and variations :)

Have we seen yet another classic Hornby screw up in a period when they are financial a bit wobbly? Does the 2019 range include mk3 sleepers in the Caledonia livery ?.... apologies if I have missed that if not then another loco with no typical stock to run behind it.

• RMweb Gold

This is how it looked in April 2018.

Coupled to an Aircon Mk2, with a couple of Brutes by the side of it.

Sitting there in the shadows, it does remind me of Euston platform 1.

As for 87002... you could run it alongside class 800's, with BR Mk1s in Chocolate and Cream (I know I will)…

I'll be shopping for both 87's, they've been part of my life since a child, and I don't have catenary on my layout so the name not being wholly accurate on one sides for representing in service use is largely moot anyway.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4