Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

The wait for this was definitely worth it. The livery has been well applied and it looks great with a rake of mk3s and dvt. Shame about the pantograph but hey ho. I renumbered mine last night; first time I've done it and was a bit nervous on a brand new model, but I think that it looks ok.

IMG_20190928_235745.jpg

IMG_20190928_235846.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, Markn said:

The wait for this was definitely worth it. The livery has been well applied and it looks great with a rake of mk3s and dvt. Shame about the pantograph but hey ho. I renumbered mine last night; first time I've done it and was a bit nervous on a brand new model, but I think that it looks ok.

IMG_20190928_235745.jpg

IMG_20190928_235846.jpg

Looking good.  I take it the T cut works wonders on them.    I wonder if there will be a TTS decoder in 2020 for the Class 87?  

Regards,

C.

Looking at the excellent photos of the model on this thread.I noticed that 87019 has two cabside numbers on one side and one cabside number on the other side . This is correct when compared to prototype photos . Is this something unique to 87019 Sir Winston Churchil or were other Virgin class 87's so adorned ?

mogs 37116

Thanks! I used a little bit of white spirit in the end on a cotton bud. The name came off easy enough, but the cab numbers took ages to rub off.

I also noticed that the model only had the three numbers. When researching yesterday it looks like 87027 and others did on all the photos I could see, so I am guessing it was fleetwide.

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Markn said:

IMG_20190928_235745.jpg

IMG_20190928_235846.jpg

Hallo,

What is wrong with the pantograph? I had thought about buying the BR Blue version even though I'm an N-Gauger, but was really hoping for a Brecknell Willis pantograph.

es grüßt 

pc

19 hours ago, Markn said:

IMG_20190928_235745.jpg

IMG_20190928_235846.jpg

A beauty!

Excellet work on the re-numbering too!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

Looking good.  I take it the T cut works wonders on them.    I wonder if there will be a TTS decoder in 2020 for the Class 87?  

Regards,

C.

A re-design would be required for this. The Inter-City one has a cavity for a decoder but it is very small. A Loksound V4 micro barely fit. A TTS would be too big.

There is also a space for a "speaker" but it has to have a very flat cone & no driver. :blink: Such a device does not exist.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, daveahudson said:

Just seen the new 87001 painted sample posted by Hattons on Instagram - they've put the correct TDM cables on the cab ends rather than the multiple working cables on the mock-up. Well done Hornby for noting!

I’m still a bit odd about this model, sure its as the loco appears today, static in a museum. However running a model in a condition which it has never worked, either in service or preserved, with differing names on either side just doesnt feel right. I feel the same about Bittern with 2 tenders in LNER blue.. it never worked like that preserved or in service, (it ran as 4492 with silver letters with 2 tenders, and in BR green as 60019 in preservation), though at least you could run it with 1 tender and get an accurate representation.

i’d prefer 87001 to have both plates and let the user chose.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 4

17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’m still a bit odd about this model, sure its as the loco appears today, static in a museum. However running a model in a condition which it has never worked, either in service or preserved, with differing names on either side just doesnt feel right. I feel the same about Bittern with 2 tenders in LNER blue.. it never worked like that preserved or in service, (it ran as 4492 with silver letters with 2 tenders, and in BR green as 60019 in preservation), though at least you could run it with 1 tender and get an accurate representation.

i’d prefer 87001 to have both plates and let the user chose.

Yes, I agree, although they would have to not print the names on the side of the loco either. I want one with STEPHENSON on both sides and no crests, as it was in 2003 when repainted in BR Blue...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveahudson said:

Yes, I agree, although they would have to not print the names on the side of the loco either. I want one with STEPHENSON on both sides and no crests, as it was in 2003 when repainted in BR Blue...

I shall be purchasing 001 on release & agree with you Dave that I would have preferred Stephenson on both sides. However on purchase I will be chucking a few quid to Fox Transfers for etched Stephenson plates & will put them over the Royal Scot side.. Problem Solved. It's a bit of a headscratcher as to why Hornby have chosen to model 001 this way as the loco only ever ran dual named once & that was on the transit move from Wembley to the NRM, alas Fox Transfers will provide the solution.

The loco is obviously being modelled 'as preserved'.

Given the near zero operational possibilities for the model in this condition, it is confusing is why they are not supplying it without nameplates printed (maybe with a guide for positioning), along with two sets of etched Stephenson and one set of etched Royal Scot plates. This would also save a couple of printing processes in the factory, but probably offset by plate costs.

The model will also, it seems, have gold buffers, also only as preserved. This is easier to fix by the modeller and is a simple bit of black paint, but removing and repositioning printed nameplates is much harder.

For me, I'm happy with the loco as preserved, as she will be a static model, but I'm now wondering if this will be a model that is headed for price reductions in the new year....

56 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

The loco is obviously being modelled 'as preserved'.

Given the near zero operational possibilities for the model in this condition, it is confusing is why they are not supplying it without nameplates printed (maybe with a guide for positioning), along with two sets of etched Stephenson and one set of etched Royal Scot plates. This would also save a couple of printing processes in the factory, but probably offset by plate costs.

The model will also, it seems, have gold buffers, also only as preserved. This is easier to fix by the modeller and is a simple bit of black paint, but removing and repositioning printed nameplates is much harder.

A model that you have to finish the livery on yourself would be an even worse seller. In this day and age if you run something that isn't straight out of the box then you're probably not the average customer.

Hornby might be onto something with the two names as it gives a choice simply by turning the loco round. 

From what I've seen on Flickr 87001 with high-level nameplates and additional plaque showing Stephenson in profile ran on some of the last scheduled Mk3 services through the West Midlands in May 2005.  I must admit that will be perfect for me as I'm designing "Wednesford" as a roundy roundy fixed to the walls of the shed so I'll just turn the "Royal Scot" nameplates to the wall.  All we need now if for Oxford to urinate or get off the Gozunda and release their Virgin Mk3 coaches.

• Funny 1

I think its a strange one too.

IMHO I think they should have gone with 87 001 as it was circa 1983.  blue, original fronts, orange cant rail stripes between cab roof ends, high speed pan.  possibly too close to 87 035 though which could be easily altered.  although I am not a fan of that white painted roof area on 035.  think they were painted light grey after their first major works overhauls......think Hornby stuck with the "as built" white roof on 035 despite the name despite them backing down on the white battery charger box.   I never spotted it before.

I hope they don't go too left field with the next releases ie porterbrook purple, GBRf etc.    

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

The model will also, it seems, have gold buffers, also only as preserved.

Golden buffers ?

Who thought of that, was a mickey take on a footballer with golden wotnots at the time ?

dont think ive ever seen a loco with golden buffers before.