Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

29 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

I hope they don't go too left field with the next releases ie porterbrook purple, GBRf etc.    

I agree.

Hornby would sell loads of 87s  if they release original Intercity executive and maybe another blue one both with high speed pantographs rather than one off liveries.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Spelling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 02/10/2019 at 20:51, cravensdmufan said:

I agree.

Hornby would sell loads of 87s  if they release original Intercity executive and maybe another blue one both with high speed pantographs rather than one off liveries.

I’m sure they will over time, the 87 is a great model, delivered in small doses.

87002 is the one I’m waiting for, in the last 12 months I’ve seen it :

GWML

ECML

WCML

and my my little one got really up close with a cab visit too.

of course many years before she was ever thought of, I copped it too.., Jan 2003

and even earlier around 1989.., at Farrington jn, Preston.

And a little later in 2013..

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Golden buffers ?

Who thought of that, was a mickey take on a footballer with golden wotnots at the time ?

dont think ive ever seen a loco with golden buffers before.

It was a Wembley thing (as was other fancy buffers and plastering shed stickers everywhere), but the depot and not the stadium. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James90012 said:

Just so I understand, for the upcoming 87001 model is it going to be possible to rename it to Stephenson both sides as per 2003/4 condition or are there other changes that would need to be made?

Will have to check with Hornby, but I think they will print STEPHENSON on one side, and Royal Scott on the other side, so we'll have to remove those printed names before you can put STEPHENSON name plates on both sides...

Beyond the nameplates and gold buffers there should not be any detailed differences between the loco as preserved and as last operating in revenue service. All the post-withdrawal changes were merely cosmetic I believe (except for the replacement of the Transformer with that from 87031!).

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

All the post-withdrawal changes were merely cosmetic I believe (except for the replacement of the Transformer with that from 87031!).

and that one is unlikely to have started life in 87031. I imagine there were spares and they got swopped around during overhauls.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/09/2018 at 03:00, Crewlisle said:

All this talk of whether the Air Blast Circuit Breaker is in the correct position is insignificant & 'rivet counting' to the extreme compared with this excellent model not having a metal sprung pantograph to raise & be in contact with the OLE as in real life.  Those without OLE could keep it clipped down.

Also, it is pathetic & laughable when reading comments that the 'pantograph' can easily be knocked off!   Sorry Hornby but 10 out of 10 for the actual model but 0 out of 10 for the pantograph.

Peter

Without re-reading through all the subsequent posts does anybody know if Hornby will be producing any spare B/W pantographs?

Unfortunately my Virgin one came off and it looks as if the very delicate plastic fixing to the base has partially broken.

Whilst the pantograph could be glued in position it will then not be capable of being raised.

I am loathe to take it back to the retailer (for time and effort reasons alone) when the model is otherwise fine.

Hoping to ask Hornby at Warley but would be grateful for any  heads up.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, jonathan452 said:

Without re-reading through all the subsequent posts does anybody know if Hornby will be producing any spare B/W pantographs?

Unfortunately my Virgin one came off and it looks as if the very delicate plastic fixing to the base has partially broken.

Whilst the pantograph could be glued in position it will then not be capable of being raised.

I am loathe to take it back to the retailer (for time and effort reasons alone) when the model is otherwise fine.

Hoping to ask Hornby at Warley but would be grateful for any  heads up.

If they're not, I hope they can be persuaded to sell them as spares. I'll have a few dozen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Haha, I’d be rather hoping Accurascale  sell spares of their forthcoming Class 92’s pan, or Bachmann’s 90 pan, the Hornby 87’s plastic one is fine for a display cabinet but for anyone with actual wires it is likely a challenge! 

It’s not sprung correctly to appear realistic when touching the Contact wire, the upper part bends down too easily and the entire pan sadly doesn’t spring high enough for anything but low Contact wire heights..! You can pose it for photos but it’ll rarely raise to full height without intervention, bit of an amusing shortcoming on an AC Electric! :lol:

Otherwise, the 87 is a great model, I’m half tempted to put on the old Hornby cast metal pans on my Virgin pair as a placeholder until some decent spares are released from either say, Accurascale or Bachmann, or failing all of that, finding some of the fiddly old Hurst BW pan kits! :)

Cheers,

James

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I quite like the Hornby pan (for down operation and up on static display). I agree its totally useless for use in up position on the move, its un-sprung and fragile.

On Hornby pan spares (plastic) i mentioned this to Simon Kohler at a show and said in general the Hornby spares situation is a joke but specifically the lack of this plastic pan as a spare is a real missed opportunity. Especially given the frailty of it and the fact many want to retro fit to other models  to improve the look when used in down mode only. Simon fully agreed on both my points but to my knowledge I havent seen this as a spare yet or an improvement in spare supply in general. My conversation was over a year ago. 

I could find this out myself but if anyone can say here, how good is the Bachmann 90 pan in strength and sprung operation? I dread to think how much Bachmann would charge as a spare given some of their other spare prices!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/10/2019 at 13:33, G-BOAF said:

Beyond the nameplates and gold buffers there should not be any detailed differences between the loco as preserved and as last operating in revenue service. All the post-withdrawal changes were merely cosmetic I believe (except for the replacement of the Transformer with that from 87031!).

Why was the transformer swapped ?

bad for a goodun, or vice versa considering they were export bound ?

Bit of fun ahead of the new range announcements...….any predictions for what livery/spec Hornby will announce next (one maybe two models).  The virgin model was a single announcement then they returned to a twin announcement with the CS version and 87101/001 version. 

Will we see all new or will we get another model in BR blue  (as built)  or Swallow?

Personal wish is to see 87006 in large logo but I imagine this will be on the back boiler for ages knowing my luck...….

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Please, not another Swallow one.  Original executive livery would be nice - the one with the dark grey extending all the way around the front of the cab. With high speed pantograph of course.

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/37190-dalzell/10246493426/

(Oh, and could we have a brand new 86/2 and 86/4 please Hornby?) :good_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, 298 said:

To return 87001 to traffic.

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

All things considered a bit of a waste, 87031 could be working in Bulgaria, 001’s never going to run again.

Did I say traffic? I meant so it could run light engine to York. 

With hindsight it seemed to be a bit of a struggle to get all of the useable 87's exported, and at least 87001 is complete and undercover.

22 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Why was the transformer swapped ?

bad for a goodun, or vice versa considering they were export bound ?

I believe 001 had a bad transformer as withdrawn from service. This was swapped with a good one, enabling it to move to York under its own power (and be preserved in 'complete' condition).

Somewhere online (possibly no longer available) was an account of the repaint and restoration of 87001. As well as the transformer swap it was noted that the tyres were almost out of profile and for any continued usage the wheels would need a turn on the lathe. This could not be achieved before the loco was sent to York.

Edited by G-BOAF

58 minutes ago, Johnfromoz said:

Returning to the Hornby model, can any forum members provide definitive advice about any dcc decoder that WILL fit the 87?   So far I have deduced that even the dcc concepts 8  pin direct will not fit?

Thanks in advance

John

I've got a lenz standard in mine. Wasnt the easiest to fit though, and have used the sticky pad you get with it to secure it underneath the circuit board above the driveshaft.

2 hours ago, Johnfromoz said:

Returning to the Hornby model, can any forum members provide definitive advice about any dcc decoder that WILL fit the 87?   So far I have deduced that even the dcc concepts 8  pin direct will not fit?

Thanks in advance

John

I have LokSound V4 micros in both of mine. They only just fit & I was a bit worried about the wires with the way I had to squeeze them in.

Not even Hornby's own decoders fit. How silly is that? I heard Hornby were a bit embarrassed when they were told of this.

Maybe they will alter the chassis a little before the next batch?

Speaking of which, I think an original InterCity will be the most useful next livery & it is what I would choose to make.

There are several other variants, like light grey instead of white for the swallow version & also the the variation with yellow extending up around the windows.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Johnfromoz said:

Thanks for the info guys. Just want to put non sound in for now. Might try lenz. Crazy that an 8 pin direct wont fit?

It is not the only model I have with this problem.

1 of my Bachmann crabs & 2MT Ivatt would only accept a blanking plate. A direct plug decoder or standard decoder would not fit anywhere. In the crab, the decoder socket was suspended on long mounting lugs, which I simply cut down.

I am still wondering what the hell I can do with the Ivatt though.

I have another crab & don't remember having much of a problem with that one.

These were earlier models (maybe even pre-DCC with their designs modified). The Hornby 87 is a brand new design. Since it includes a DCC socket, I really think that being able to fit a Hornby decoder is an entirely reasonable expectation.

The same applies to the speaker location. It seems to have a space marked for a round speaker under the PCB, but this would have to be no thicker than a thin sheet of card. There is no space for an enclosure, cone or driver.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
poor grammar made it difficult to read