Revolution offers HOA stone hopper as next modernwagon in N

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Revolution Trains - which uses crowd-funding principles to offer niche models - is offering the HOA stone hopper as its next N gauge wagon.

This model follows the very well received TEA tanker wagons and is a logical progression as it utilises the same bogies.

post-420-0-03435900-1480177665_thumb.jpg

The wagons were introduced in 2006 for EWS Construction. A large number were repainted into Cemex blue livery, and some are now carrying DB red.

Since then, more have been built for wagon lessors Ermewa, for Tarmac traffic, and VTG, in operation with Mendip Rail.

These vehicles are used for stone traffic from quarries in the Derbyshire Peaks, the North East and the Mendips to customers across Britain, and have also seen service in Anglo Scottish sand traffic.

We plan to produce all five variants so far in service in both single and differently numbered triple packs.

post-420-0-38196800-1480177602_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-95857200-1480177619_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-83488100-1480177557_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-26589800-1480177577_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-16511000-1480177589_thumb.jpg

We have been working closely with VTG and with the manufacturers to prepare drawings and are ready to begin CAD work.

post-420-0-95267600-1480177632.jpg

At this time we are only seeking expressions of interest via our website, and no money is required.

At Warley today we have been asked by many people whether we plan to offer this model in OO and the answer is possibly, but we are making no further 00 announcements until we have actually delivered the 00 TEA tankers that are currently in development.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 15

I whole respect your decision to hold off announcing them in OO, but you are fully trusted as an outfit, you have the superb Rapido as your manufacturing partner who have already delivered other UK OO models. I very much hope once the TEAs are delivered, the HOAs shall be announced. My expression of interest for OO gauge are: 6 x Tarmac, 6 x MRL and 1 x each of the other three. Would be wonderful to run with the upcoming Dapol 59s and of course the range of available Bachmann 66s.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

At this time we aren't planning the unbranded ones as a stand alone, but we are looking at including blanking decals or rub-downs, since these are fairly visible my on the real thing.

But the first priority is to reach adequate expressions of interest.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Chatting to Mike at the NEC/Warley show, he said that there was plenty of interest shown in a 00 version - me included.

I'll be happy if they're ready in about 2 years..... please!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Guest eddie reffin

Thought these would have been out of region for me but I noticed the Anglo Scottish sand traffic reference. Can you shed a bit more light on which flow this was and which version it was please.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Eddie,

In Rail Express May 2006 there is a photo of an EWS 66 with a rake of about 15 HOAs in Construction livery and the text describes it as a sand flow for glassmaking in Irvine. It does not say where in England the flow originated, but I believe it may have been from Middleton Towers in Norfolk. I don't know how long the flow lasted. One of the reasons I have not yet published our usual map guide is that I am struggling to be sure about the route taken by this flow.

Marcus,

We are certainly considering further models in 00 but have taken a decision not to announce any until we have actually delivered something in 00, although preparatory work may be going on in the background.

It does mean we could be in a position where our hand is forced, or we seem to be second to announce, but following the very positive responses we have had to our handling of the 92 situation in N we are going to stick with this approach. The feedback we get is that many people are tired of endless promises and land grabs.

However I will say that we have received a *lot* of 00 requests at Warley from 4mm modellers after they picked up and looked at the TEA factory samples - and I will be posting some photos of them in that thread later.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 4

Guest eddie reffin

Thanks for the prompt reply Ben, sounds like it would have probably had to pass through Carlisle so that gives me a good starting point for research the flow. Better get saving I think!

• RMweb Gold

The HOAs are also used for stone off Mountsorrel - the Trowse stone is HOAs a couple of times per week. The Barham is also HOA

Last Friday - 25 November 2016 - it was a mini stone, perfect for those on a budget

Eccles Road

66021 on 6L39, 06:37, Mountsorrel Sdgs - Trowse Yard Redland Siding (11:51) - loaded stone (4 HOA)

post-6662-0-75705900-1480358373_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-32833700-1480358385_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-28654100-1480358396_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-73107000-1480358407_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-89632500-1480358419_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Eddie,

There were some hoppers that looked a lot like these being hauled, loaded, over the level crossing in King's Lynn at about 14:30 last Saturday, Schenker and EWS Construction liveries were present.

Not sure whether this flow goes up to Scotland from Middleton Towers, but hope this information is of some use.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

In Rail Express May 2006 there is a photo of an EWS 66 with a rake of about 15 HOAs in Construction livery and the text describes it as a sand flow for glassmaking in Irvine. It does not say where in England the flow originated, but I believe it may have been from Middleton Towers in Norfolk. I don't know how long the flow lasted. One of the reasons I have not yet published our usual map guide is that I am struggling to be sure about the route taken by this flow.

Ben - What was the loco and is there a date this working ran ? I have my emails going back many years (and I have been in gen groups for many years) and *might* have something on it in my archives

• RMweb Gold

Hi Eddie,

There were some hoppers that looked a lot like these being hauled, loaded, over the level crossing in King's Lynn at about 14:30 last Saturday, Schenker and EWS Construction liveries were present.

Not sure whether this flow goes up to Scotland from Middleton Towers, but hope this information is of some use.

Mark

66059 on 6M89, 13:39, Middleton Towers - Arpley - for Quinn glass at Ince (near Helsby)

Here's the train on 15 October at Little Downham

66068 on 6M89, 13:39, Middleton Towers - Arpley Sidings (21:05) - loaded sand (23)

post-6662-0-33794700-1480372556_thumb.jpg

I photographed every wagon if anyone is interested.