Revolution offers HOA stone hopper as next modernwagon in N

Revolution Ben

Sorry I am not an N modeller, but patiently hope these shall be done in OO. I’ve recently noticed that some of the Whatley services operated by DB are not Mendip Rail but Tarmac. I see on the advised sample formations HOAs are marked as Hanson, when they are Tarmac. Explains why the formations lack Mendip Rail branded HOAs, and are mixed with JGA wagons. This contract continues beyond the move over to Freightliner.

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/HOA-sample-consists.pdf

Tarmac

6M20 Whatley - St Pancras 22-5-2008

6B35 Hayes - Moreton-on-Lugg 23-5-2012

6M20 Whatley - St Pancras 25-9-2015

I hope this information is of interest.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ben & Mike,

Just a quick question before I place my order and thanks by the way for helping me to break the bank yet again...

I've looked through the topic and can't see anything confirming the wagon dimensions. Sorry if I've missed it. Are the HOAs the same length as the Farish JGAs? The reason I ask is its the difference between a rake of 12 or 15.

Also is there any chance of you including a de-branded version of the Cemex livery? I know a few people have asked for it so the demand would probably be there and the livery has been around quite a bit longer than the branded versions...

Thanks again for doing this one - another real missing link.

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

The length over the buffers is 102mm. With the 4mm Freightliner TEAs we produced a blanking decal to allow the model to be depicted in the revised VTG livery, we may do something similar to allow the unbranded Cemex versions to be depicted.

Cheers

Ben A.

A Cemex blanking decal does sound a good option Ben.

Just got my order in, not quite as big as I'd hoped, but still glad I've been saving! A good mix of EWS/DB and MRL should allow the chance to model a few trains I've worked with

Jo

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

HOA hoppers getting nearer…

Revolution Trains has received painted samples of its forthcoming HOA stone hoppers in N. Once minor corrections have been made the models will be approved for production, with delivery expected before the end of the year.

Img_9722.jpg

Img_9727.jpg

Img_9731.jpg

These wagons were introduced in 2006 by EWS, with many being repainted into the livery of customer CEMEX. Some have also received the bright red livery of DB Cargo. They have seen service on stone, sand and aggregate trains on a variety of flows to and from the Midlands, East Anglia, South East, North and Scotland.

In 2016 two further batches were built for Ermewa/Tarmac and VTG/Mendip rail, and these are now in use on traffic from Tarmac quarries in the Midlands and the Mendip quarries in Somerset.

Img_9736.jpg

Img_9738.jpg

Revolution is offering all five variants with differences in bodyside appearance and braking accurately depicted. (See attached image showing the difference in brake wheel types and positioning.)

Revolution is offering:

N-HOA-101 – EWS grey with 3-beasties loco.

N-HOA-111 – Cemex grey/blue.

N-HOA-121 – DB red

N-HOA-131 – Ermewa/Tarmac grey

N-HOA-141 – VTG Mendip Rail silver.

The models are also available in ‘A’ and ‘B’ triple packs with different running numbers, enabling realistic rakes to be built up. The pre-order price is £30.50 for single wagons and £91.50 for triple packs.

As we will soon close the order book we would urge customers to order now to avoid missing the deadline. The models will be available in due course from selected retailers but at a higher price.

Img_9750.jpg

Img_9756.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steven,

Yes - agreed.  Because these samples are just to check the decoration they have been "thrown together" a little by hand.  

Our experience is that for full production the factory production line managers ensure that mechanical assembly is as it should be.

cheers

Ben A.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Ben,

Overall samples look rather good, can't wait to get my hands on my order!

I know Phil's post mentions minor corrections, there's a couple of minor things I've noticed, but not sure if it's the photos resolution and exposure/ lighting causing the effect, if so, disregard these points!

Firstly, is the horizontal yellow stripe along the top present on the livery samples? Certainly EWS, Cemex and MRL should have it. The DB red correctly doesn't have it

Secondly, and as I said, this may be down to light and exposure, but is the MRL one a bit too metallic? The silver on the real things is quite a grey shade, definitely metallic though.

DSC_0132.JPG.dc5ecb7a0fecbfdab2ee86331ac807bc.JPG

DSC_0234.JPG.2e1324f3d76352faf5a7690975d0f5e3.JPG

Jo

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jo,

The yellow line is there.  

IMG_8596.JPG.5c77d8dcd659918f72eb5d988de596c9.JPG

Silver/metallic shades are tricky.  

Light does not scale, plus even a very thin patina of dust on the prototype will rapidly dull the effect.  I reckon a quick blast with the airbrush would tone it down.

cheers

Ben A.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently the flow from Avonmouth to Theale for FM Conway (runs Monday only, as required) has gone from HTA to a mix of HOA and IIA. The set of 19 on Monday 1st July was all HOA/ IIA in a mix of EWS Construction and debranded Cemex, with a sole DB red wagon (320054) in the mix. Using blue and grey HOAs as a stand in for the IIA makes this train very modelable. 66030 was the loco, in EWS livery.

The set does 6V97 Wembley - Westbury (MT), run round and forms 6C83 Westbury - Avonmouth (MT), 6A83 Avonmouth - Theale (LD) in the afternoon before working 6M83 (MT) back to Wembley after discharge. Outward via Swindon to Westbury, then via the Avon valley to Bristol. Return via the Avon valley then up the B&H to Theale

Hope this goes some more excuses to order a few wagons!

Jo

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Production is expected to begin just after TINGS, so we are expecting the models to arrive sometime before Xmas.

They won't have loads with them, but we are investigating the possibility of producing shaped blanks that drop in to create a "base" for a load of your choice.  If we go down this route then we'll probably upload a video tutorial showing how to make them look more realistic.

cheers

Ben A.

I have created loads for a large range of wagons. I cut pieces of foam to fill half or two thirds of each wagon. It means very little added weight and the foam can be cut on the top surface to create irregular loads. 

Then I top up with coal, ballast or a choice of aggregate.

cheers,

Ged.

• Like 1