Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

46236 ran between Paddington and Plymouth during the 1948 Locomotive Exchanges. 46237 was trialled on the Western Region in 1955 on trains to Bristol, Plymouth and Birmingham.  46254 and 46257 were used on the Western Region in 1956 while Kings were out of service for repairs to bogies.

droooool!!

Lovely looking beasts!

Now, how long will I have to wait for a Maroon Hamilton as running in the 1960s (or 1980s/90s)??

The Ivatt Duchess does look magnificant, but totally out of era for a preservation modeller... I've never been so tempted to break my own modelling rules!

I am always amazed she was never preserved, would compliment Sir Nigel Gresley. I guess there is little chance of a new build Ivatt Duchess I suppose...

Legend has it, one man could push the Ivatt Duchess thanks to its roller bearings. I find that hard to believe, but when my dad worked in the navy, he said he could sit on the quayside and push a 3000 tonne frigate out with his legs! So you never know.

The single chimney Duchess looks interesting and odd at the same time. A sort of gone wrong Princess.

I am very tempted by No.46256. Did they ever manage to get into the western region?

Yes.

46236 City of Bradford in the 1948 trials,

46237 City of Bristol in April 1955 Dynamometer tests (Paddington - Plymouth and Paddington - Wolverhampton).

46254 City fo Stoke on trent and 46257 City of Salford in January 1956 in west of England trains whilst the King's bogie problem was fixed.

In one of my books suggest it being a 4-6-4 or 4-8-2 (cant find which one at mo) though I can't see fitting a bigger firebox would work on a 4-8-2. Others may know better.

There were ideas for both a 4-6-4 and a smaller driving wheeled 4-8-4 at one time. Neither got further than a drawing or two.

• RMweb Gold

I am very tempted by No.46256. Did they ever manage to get into the western region?

As well as the instances above both 46251 and 46245 ran specials on the Western in 1964. There is a pretty well known photo of 46251 on Swindon Shed next to a highly polished Caste (5054?) which was also involved in special tour duty on the same day.

The Ivo Peters photo of 46251 at Swindon Shed shows the loco with 'RCTS The East Midlander' headboard, which would date it as 9 May 1964. The very clean Castle to it's left is 7022, which presumably was the Swindon standby loco for the Ian Allan 'High Speed Special' which took place on the same date.

I have a T.J. Edgington photo of 46237 at Birmingham Snow Hill (not displayed for copyright reasons).  It is dated 28 April 1955 and labelled as 46237 on the 9.10 Paddington - Birkenhead.  46237 has the standard WR reporting numbers on the smokebox door (180).  The train formation appears to be entirely ex-GWR stock.  There is no sign of any dynanometer car, so 46237 appears to have been used on 'ordinary' expresses as part of the testing programme.

• RMweb Gold

The Ivo Peters photo of 46251 at Swindon Shed shows the loco with 'RCTS The East Midlander' headboard, which would date it as 9 May 1964. The very clean Castle to it's left is 7022, which presumably was the Swindon standby loco for the Ian Allan 'High Speed Special' which took place on the same date.

Magnificent she looks too...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotorus/8113283337

Cheers,

Keith

I guess there is little chance of a new build Ivatt Duchess I suppose...

You could come home, toddle down to the pub with a couple of mates and bingo! Eighteen years and £3 million later …

It might turn out to be a very practical idea. With all the labour-saving gadgetry, it could be highly utilised. That sort of gadgetry was used in the Britannias, which enabled them to run a very intensive service between London and Norwich. Jiggle the firebars, turn her round and off we go again!

If it worked, we could get rid of all the diesels and electrics and run a real railway again. :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

You could come home, toddle down to the pub with a couple of mates and bingo! Eighteen years and £3 million later …

It might turn out to be a very practical idea. With all the labour-saving gadgetry, it could be highly utilised. That sort of gadgetry was used in the Britannias, which enabled them to run a very intensive service between London and Norwich. Jiggle the firebars, turn her round and off we go again!

If it worked, we could get rid of fall the diesels and electrics and run a real railway again. :locomotive:

Which would still be cheaper than the mongrel kit of parts now running as 60103 Flying Scotsman :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If it worked, we could get rid of all the diesels and electrics and run a real railway again. :locomotive:

Nice idea, though for me I'd rather see three million put towards having Hamilton back on the mainline and in streamlined form too :-)

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman

I have a T.J. Edgington photo of 46237 at Birmingham Snow Hill (not displayed for copyright reasons). It is dated 28 April 1955 and labelled as 46237 on the 9.10 Paddington - Birkenhead. 46237 has the standard WR reporting numbers on the smokebox door (180). The train formation appears to be entirely ex-GWR stock. There is no sign of any dynanometer car, so 46237 appears to have been used on 'ordinary' expresses as part of the testing programme.

There was a problem with the Kings and the LM region lent a number of Pacifics to the WR in the mid 50s hence use on ordinary service trains that were normally King turns

David

• RMweb Gold

Good to see as much of the brake gear as they can fit filling the gap between the front drivers and the bogie  - makes a big visual improvement. Agree with dogsbody that Hornby usually get a greater finesse into their models - but then spoil it by a flat and lifeless finish. I am cautious about these photos - Hornby colour illustrations are often better than the colour of the model inside the box!

But overall these all look superb - am genuinely excited! :)

I believe things are improving with regard to paint finish .The new Clan Line proves the point I think.

... Hopefully there will be something of a pivotable trailing bogie along with the flanged wheels...

Wait and  see on that front. I'd guess the flanged wheelset is being provided for 'showcase' purposes, and only useable for any modeller in the happy possession of 4' and up radii on the layout; that is if the past pacific releases I own are anything to go by. The recent MN has a fixed truck and unflanged wheelset in the photos I have seen: does it come with a flanged display wheelset included in the packaging for the owner to install?.

...Legend has it, one man could push the Ivatt Duchess thanks to its roller bearings. I find that hard to believe, but when my dad worked in the navy, he said he could sit on the quayside and push a 3000 tonne frigate out with his legs! So you never know...

It is no legend. There's film of the NYC Niagara (400 ton 4-8-4 and seven axle tender ensemble) with roller bearings everywhere including on the rods, being kept rolling - very slowly - by two men. What with physics being the same both sides of the Atlantic... the brakes had to be properly off, cylinder cocks open and track level. This is the secret of the iron road, very little energy is absorbed in rolling friction, starting from a hard and elastic tyre on a hard and elastic rail. (Elastic in the sense used in physics.)

I believe things are improving with regard to paint finish .The new Clan Line proves the point I think.

City of Birmingham does indeed look to be in new improved Clan Line green, but it also looks to have the rather odd Clan Line yellow/straw lining.

This doesn't have enough orange/red to my eyes (and would be a whole lot more difficult to re-line than those nice flat Clan Line spam-can sides ....)

• RMweb Gold

City of Birmingham does indeed look to be in new improved Clan Line green, but it also looks to have the rather odd Clan Line yellow/straw lining.

This doesn't have enough orange/red to my eyes (and would be a whole lot more difficult to re-line than those nice flat Clan Line spam-can sides ....)

As someone has already posted,these are computer generated images and not necessarily images of what we will eventually get out of the box.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There was a problem with the Kings and the LM region lent a number of Pacifics to the WR in the mid 50s hence use on ordinary service trains that were normally King turns

David

That was due to the Kings Bogie design. Several derailed which led to the class being withdrawn for modifications to the springing.

• RMweb Premium

droooool!!

Lovely looking beasts!

Now, how long will I have to wait for a Maroon Hamilton as running in the 1960s (or 1980s/90s)??

The Ivatt Duchess does look magnificant, but totally out of era for a preservation modeller... I've never been so tempted to break my own modelling rules!

A Preservation modeller? That's an area that intrigues me a lot and one which I hope we, as enthusiasts, can explore in conversations at the remaining shows that Hornby will be attending this year. By Preservation, do you mean as per the locomotive's last running in service, or post-restoration? Does this mean that you would run the locomotive with a mish-mash of rolling stock, in different liveries?

Look forward to some responses on this aspect of modelling....

Paul.

That was due to the Kings Bogie design. Several derailed which led to the class being withdrawn for modifications to the springing.

Nothing to do with the bogie design, that was sorted in the first few months out of Swindon. The reason for the 1950s withdrawn from service was frame fatigue, and front half was renewed at Swindon.

Richard