Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

And now Hornby's 46256 in motion . This has to be model of the year surely.

Could be very close call on that one.The new airsmooth Merchant Navies are superb and this comes from someone who generally favours the LMR.

http://www.hornbymagazine.com/2017/10/12/video-Hornby-stanier-duchess-4-6-2-for-oo/

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold

And now Hornby's 46256 in motion . This has to be model of the year surely.

Could be very close call on that one.The new airsmooth Merchant Navies are superb and this comes from someone who generally favours the LMR.

http://www.hornbymagazine.com/2017/10/12/video-Hornby-stanier-duchess-4-6-2-for-oo/

I'm biased to the LMR too and equally was wowed by the MN. But I think the Duchess will pip it because the finish is better. Put it another way, if the MN had a satin finish the same as the Duchess I would have bought it on impulse even though I have absolutely no use for it whatsoever. And you get a flanged wheel as a spare with the Duchess. Its a fag paper widths better imho :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the shots in Hornby magazine the locos are absolutely stunning and due very soon.

My latest HM landed on the doormat last Friday, but was the September edition. So I'll take your word for it! My pre-order of 46256 may even arrive first!

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1

I spoke to someone on the Hornby stand at the Great Electric Train Show yesterday & he mentioned City of Salford.

He said that they were doing Atholl as a nod to their past, because it was the first Duchess they made.

Birmingham because this was the loco they spent some time measuring in order to get the dimensions right.

Stanier because they felt it was the natural one of the Ivatt pair to do.

He stressed that these were going to be the first & more would follow in time. He specifically mentioned Salford, so be patient & you should see it.

Hornby-Dublo made the Duchess of Atholl. Apart from the name 'Hornby' 'Hornby-Dublo' has got nothing to do with 'Hornby.' I have ordered one for nostalgia reasons as a school friend had one of these on his three-rail layout. Perhaps Hornby-Dublo would be producing something like this if they existed now. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Didn't three of them get allocated to the Western Region when the Kings bogies fell apart in 1955?

46237, 46254 and 46257. So you can even have an Ivatt. :)

Jason

Ah yes so they did. Perfect excuse. An Ivatt version it will be. If I can get one that is lol

Hornby-Dublo made the Duchess of Atholl. Apart from the name 'Hornby' 'Hornby-Dublo' has got nothing to do with 'Hornby.' I have ordered one for nostalgia reasons as a school friend had one of these on his three-rail layout. Perhaps Hornby-Dublo would be producing something like this if they existed now. 

In physical terms, no - but then again modern Hornby doesn't really have much left in common with Triang, so it's a nod to the forebears more than anything