Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Premium

Well, R3681 6241 'City of Edinburgh' in post-war LMS lined black has arrived in some shops, at about UKP184 vs rrp UKP204.

I wonder how this will fare compared to the Hornby/Rails exclusive 46229 in lined black or for that matter the gloss Hornby BR/Locomotion red 46229?

Can't find any photos of R3681 yet but these below do rather whet the appetite! :) Hopefully the lettering on the tender will be the right height.

46229_Duchess_Img_8488abc_r1200.jpg

46229_Duchess_Hamilton_Hornby_R3594_portrait10_1ab_r1200a.jpg

I also wonder if and when we might see a green 'Princess Coronation', but that is just my idle curiosity.

We’ve had a green one Rob. R3509TTS City Of Birmingham 46235

• RMweb Gold

I reckon you have too many locos Rob!!, I think you should give some away, I'm only across the ditch in South Australia so it wouldn't cost you much in postage!! :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Ah well I tried. :angel:

Rgds......Mike

Well, R3681 6241 'City of Edinburgh' in post-war LMS lined black has arrived in some shops, at about UKP184 vs rrp UKP204.

I wonder how this will fare compared to the Hornby/Rails exclusive 46229 in lined black or for that matter the gloss Hornby BR/Locomotion red 46229?

Can't find any photos of R3681 yet but these below do rather whet the appetite! :) Hopefully the lettering on the tender will be the right height.

attachicon.gif46229_Duchess_Img_8488abc_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gif46229_Duchess_Hamilton_Hornby_R3594_portrait10_1ab_r1200a.jpg

I also wonder if and when we might see a green 'Princess Coronation', but that is just my idle curiosity.

Ours have just arrived in stock. Beautiful loco looks, in my opinion, very nice in LMS black.

post-22956-0-93232200-1541767705_thumb.jpgpost-22956-0-92264900-1541767737_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Why do Hornby persist in painting the injectors in that copper colour? I've never see a photo of the prototype with these polished and even they were its only the pipe work that is copper, the cast parts are brass.

Polished copper and brass fittings is just their latest obsession. A few years back it was Electrication flashes which they plastered over everything. Before that it was shiny silver valve gear and rods.

How ever good their latest models, they never really got past being a toy-maker at heart.

• Like 1

Have they sorted out the chassis on this batch? Is the centre driving wheel still too 'low' on one side (i.e. this is what was causing one of the front drivers to appear lifted)?

And has the flimsy tongue securing the front of the body to the chassis been beefed up?

Edited by G-BOAF

Polished copper and brass fittings is just their latest obsession. A few years back it was Electrication flashes which they plastered over everything. Before that it was shiny silver valve gear and rods.

How ever good their latest models, they never really got past being a toy-maker at heart.

I can't think of a model that they have put them on incorrectly. Someone even complained about the late crest H Class having them and I even posted photographic evidence that the locomotive had them and the model was correct. That person still moaned.

Just because people don't like Electrification Warning Flashes doesn't mean they should be released without them if they are meant to be there.

Jason

Why do Hornby persist in painting the injectors in that copper colour? I've never see a photo of the prototype with these polished and even they were its only the pipe work that is copper, the cast parts are brass.

When new, the brass and copper would be shinny-ish even if not highly polished. It wouldn't take long in service to become the same colour as the rest of the chassis. For people who don't like it, just paint it. :)  

• RMweb Gold

When new, the brass and copper would be shinny-ish even if not highly polished. It wouldn't take long in service to become the same colour as the rest of the chassis. For people who don't like it, just paint it. :)

I know you can paint them and I do. My question is where did Hornby get the idea that the way they model them is realistic? Have a look at photo’s of ex Crewe works locos, the pipe work appears to have been painted black even then.

I know you can paint them and I do. My question is where did Hornby get the idea that the way they model them is realistic? Have a look at photo’s of ex Crewe works locos, the pipe work appears to have been painted black even then.

Presumably they have concluded it appeals to a significant number of customers (who possibly don't know any better).

Ours have just arrived in stock. Beautiful loco looks, in my opinion, very nice in LMS black.

attachicon.gifDSC_1382.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_1383.JPG

I agree and have just bought one.   I blame Hornby for producing outstanding models....

Haven't received my purchase yet but these superb machines look good in lined LMS black....  here is the Rails 46229.

post-7929-0-78786300-1542087004_thumb.jpg

For reasons I cannot put my finger on Hornby make black plastic models look outstanding, moreso I would suggest than other 00 RTR makers, it might be the specification of the plastic, or the fine detail, but they certainly are masters of the craft.

Edit, here below a couple of my edited versions....  will remove if they offend. 

post-7929-0-26969800-1542087527_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-23728100-1542087570_thumb.jpg

cheers, and that fireman might have to shift a few tons of coal before the day is over! :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

I can't see why not as they've done City Of Nottingham before.

Jason

I remember seeing a re-name of City of Nottingham on a traders' stand at Nottingham show a few years ago....In streamlined red!

It was back again the following year.

For those who don't see the irony, it was never streamlined & carried 1946 black when new.

I remember seeing a re-name of City of Nottingham on a traders' stand at Nottingham show a few years ago....In streamlined red!

It was back again the following year.

For those who don't see the irony, it was never streamlined & carried 1946 black when new.

She was wartime black when new, no deflectors and streamlined tender.

Oops, is was only the last 5 which carried '46 from new wasn't it...although the last one was never LMS at all.

The running plate shape & tenders for the later ones have a story of their own too.

Very true.

I did speak with Hornby when the new tooling was annouced and he said that they had tooled up the tender for 6253-6255, which means we'll get them for the first ever with correct tender.

• Like 1

Oops, is was only the last 5 which carried '46 from new wasn't it...although the last one was never LMS at all.

The running plate shape & tenders for the later ones have a story of their own too.

For the record only 46257 carried a BR number from new. It was photographed in Crewe Works before entering service as M6257 but this had been changed when it entered service.

• RMweb Gold

Very true.

I did speak with Hornby when the new tooling was annouced and he said that they had tooled up the tender for 6253-6255, which means we'll get them for the first ever with correct tender.

Always providing that Hornby do not repeat the blunder it made with the tender of Bulleid 34050,the replacement for which is yet to appear.