Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

I've keen on the Hornby R3555 - 'Sir William A. Stanier F.R.S' Princess Coronation Class 4-6-2 - what do members think is the best deal on this decidedly expensive but beautiful loco? Out in the wilds of Scotland, I don't have a dealer anywhere at hand.

Thanks

Neil

2 hours ago, neilmack said:

I've keen on the Hornby R3555 - 'Sir William A. Stanier F.R.S' Princess Coronation Class 4-6-2 - what do members think is the best deal on this decidedly expensive but beautiful loco? Out in the wilds of Scotland, I don't have a dealer anywhere at hand.

Thanks

Neil

A simple google search with the words 'Hornby R3555' should bring you a range of sellers.

Best current on offer would be at a guess around £170 plus delivery, the latter can vary widely.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, neilmack said:

Thanks

Neil

It would be wise to pick a dealer who will undertake to test the loco before sending it to you - cheapest price may not be the best dealer. If you read back on his thread you will see that this model can suffer cosmetic, construction and mechanical problems tho a good one is indeed a joy. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Brocp said:

Wrong thread maybe?

Also where did this picture come from? 

Sorry, not really an LMS person.....I've always known them as the Duchess and Princess Royal, so a little confused with the Princess Coronation name. Simple error.

The image was shared by the manufacturer itself...Hornby.

Any one like Duchesses? Obviously do since you are looking here. ;) 

Well worth getting. Loads of photos in colour, some I've not seen previously.

https://steamdaysmag.keypublishing.com/

Usual disclaimer as just a satisfied customer and thought it may be of interest.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

Happy Bank Holiday weekend, all,

I'm looking at purchasing Hornby's R3642 'Duchess of Montrose' but have noticed on the stock photographs of many retailers that the cab appears to 'lean' backwards. At first I thought this might be down to the printing of lining and numbers on the cabsides, but upon closer inspection it appears to be the whole cab fitting that doesn't appear to be sat correctly. I've attached a photo from Rails of Sheffield (I'll remove if requested) with some crude annotations to get my point across. 

Has anyone found this with their model/version of a Duchess? Is this an easy fix, or is this simply a case of inspecting the assembly of the model prior to purchase?

Apologies too - I could not find much mention of this in this existing thread, but please point me in the right direction if there is.

Thank you,

Henry

6232 cab alignment.jpg

Edited by Henry 84F

13 minutes ago, Henry 84F said:

Happy Bank Holiday weekend, all,

I'm looking at purchasing Hornby's R3642 'Duchess of Montrose' but have noticed on the stock photographs of many retailers that the cab appears to 'lean' backwards. At first I thought this might be down to the printing of lining and numbers on the cabsides, but upon closer inspection it appears to be the whole cab fitting that doesn't appear to be sat correctly. I've attached a photo from Rails of Sheffield (I'll remove if requested) with some crude annotations to get my point across. 

Has anyone found this with their model/version of a Duchess? Is this an easy fix, or is this simply a case of inspecting the assembly of the model prior to purchase?

Apologies too - I could not find much mention of this in this existing thread, but please point me in the right direction if there is.

Thank you,

Henry

6232 cab alignment.jpg

Slight problem on previous releases, but this looks much worse. I suspect the cab is a seperate part, and that careful breaking of the glue join between the cab and boiler will allow the cab to be repositioned. There should be a 'lip' on the inside of the cab, which interfaces with the inside of the firebox. Or at least this is how Hornby have done it on other steam locos.

But don't have one to hand.

Anyone else?

• Thanks 1

I suspect they commonly have this slight cab droop, mine does too...  not sure how easy to fix, and eye tends not always to pick it up...

Here are some pics of my 46232 model.

46232_Duchess_Montrose_portrait1_1abcdef_r1500.jpg.16cf876cdfcf2351346f0d8413bb8800.jpg

46232_Duchess_Montrose_portrait3_1abc_r1200.jpg.712f94ef2a7040e6bf3b8a0cbb224b2c.jpg

46232_Duchess_Montrose_Portrait2_1ab_r1200.jpg.0a273e4b5762cb59cbc0ebf45dd190a4.jpg

46232_Duchess_Montrose_Portrait2_1abc_r1200_crop.jpg.50d8661557faa8365ed88017759dfe61.jpg

and here is 46235

46235_duchess_IMG_9353a_r1200.jpg.f3699a647b9e945731dd9d1a3aae221d.jpg

46229 in red is pretty good ...

46229_Duchess_Hamilton_Hornby_R3594_Img_8582abc1_r1200.jpg.0e265ca2dbf1525f4fcf87aa6ce41c30.jpg

46229_Duchess_Hamilton_Hornby_R3594_portrait10_1ab_r1200.jpg.fe13d1ac253f08f3c14429b3459a799a.jpg

I tend not to notice out of sheer willfulness, being currently photographing pre-2010 Princess models... :)

1665340274_46203_princess_new_computer4abcd_r1500.jpg.ff939a087079e1b3bc0d1cd704a8bc76.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Real thing at Worcester Shrub Hill this afternoon - does the top of the cab side line up perfectly with the tender? I'm not saying the cab droop is prototypical I am just saying  dont get hung up on it :).

There are prototype photos of Stanier 5s and Jubilees where I think the cabs are definitely drooping. 

Of course, when I try to find examples, I can't. Interestingly, though, I've found one where the cab side-sheet seems to lean forward.

https://images.app.goo.gl/i3YXLBPZLN47nppn9

13 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Real thing at Worcester Shrub Hill this afternoon - does the top of the cab side line up perfectly with the tender? I'm not saying the cab droop is prototypical I am just saying  dont get hung up on it :)

fullsizeoutput_17f8.jpeg

I agree, the relationship between engine and tender was quite variable, the 'sit' of  the engine, springs etc., and the same for the tender, loaded, worn springs etc.

although this is in a curve, ...

1997648824_6210_princess_2192835_67e83ce4(2).jpg.72822b4e34ca373678da16d4eb230abb.jpg

• Agree 2

Morning all,

I'm looking at purchasing a Princess Coronation R3639 King George V1.

I've heard that there were some issues with the valve gear,particularly in relation to the cross head and piston fitting tolerances and a lack of movement on the eccentric rods. 

I'm aware that Mike from Model Railways Unlimited had some issues with his Queen Elizabeth, but could someone please comment as to whether these faults are a common issue on this particular model.

Many thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I've an R3677 and it's perfect .... 

NOT REALLY!

When I received it, it was shorting out, and Hornby took it back, DEcreased some of the excessive soldering which was shorting in difficult-to-access areas, beneath a contact plunger.

It runs smoothly forwards, OK backwards, but does 'click'. I notice the valvegear is a little loose and will try a little gentle crimping - worked on a 'new-old' R2303 5000 Black 5 without problem.

Beautiful model, but may need a little work to make 'perfect'.

Having said that, here's an absolute GEM I have, not worth a lot, but I've tweaked a little here and there ... particularly as the 1:1 is so active.

Apparently it's ex-set, and didn't come with a box when I purchased.

It's as smooth as the smoothest lightly whipped cream - and fast as well - 6233 Duchess of Sutherland.

I noticed on some photos I took yesterday it didn't have a smokebox door 'dart', and looking at older photos of it, never had had - I just hadn't noticed!!

It does now - chromed as well.

I didn't fancy my painting skills enough to paint the hinges, otherwise it's pretty good!!

Al.

6233 DoS 20190825-3 small.jpg

6233 DoS 20190826-1 small.jpg

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! Just took delivery of my Hornby R3509 TTS City of Birmingham. Superb looking model. However........ Have Hornby forgotten that the Dutchess 8p was a four cylinder locomotive? The sound decoder is absolutely dreadfull! The loco looks and runs superb but one exhaust beat per one revolution of the driving wheels just does not cut it! The sound seems to have a mind of its own in that it speeds up and down with no variation in loco speed and cuts out and goes quiet after about 3 minutes of running. I have priced the decoders up seperately and they are 36 quid....speaker and all so what do you bloody expect? I have now fitted a ESU Loksound decoder and sugar cube speaker.........What a difference. Now sounds as good as she looks and runs! Put your TTS decoder in the bin.... Best place for it and treat yourself and your Dutchess to a loksound ESU... More pricey but well worth it!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, 10000/10001 said:

Hi everyone! Just took delivery of my Hornby R3509 TTS City of Birmingham. Superb looking model. However........ Have Hornby forgotten that the Dutchess 8p was a four cylinder locomotive? The sound decoder is absolutely dreadfull! The loco looks and runs superb but one exhaust beat per one revolution of the driving wheels just does not cut it! The sound seems to have a mind of its own in that it speeds up and down with no variation in loco speed and cuts out and goes quiet after about 3 minutes of running. I have priced the decoders up seperately and they are 36 quid....speaker and all so what do you bloody expect? I have now fitted a ESU Loksound decoder and sugar cube speaker.........What a difference. Now sounds as good as she looks and runs! Put your TTS decoder in the bin.... Best place for it and treat yourself and your Dutchess to a loksound ESU... More pricey but well worth it!

Whose project did you go for?

I have 4 older Duchesses, all factory fitted with v4 decoders. They sound ok but have limited features so  re-blowing them is an option.

• 4 weeks later...

A short running session featuring the Hornby Princess Coronation Class 4-6-2 "Sir William A. Stanier FRS", in stunning British Railways Lined Maroon Livery, edited with Real Sound. 
Sounds are provided by fellow Class Member 6233 "Duchess of Sutherland" on a slection of Railtours from my sound collection, captured over the past few years.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 5