Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Premium
On 05/09/2020 at 13:30, Steamport Southport said:

I see 46257 City Of Solford is due.

On 29/09/2020 at 16:18, MikeParkin65 said:

Be interesting to see if it is finished in the same shades as 46211. 

59 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Kernow has included a photo of 46257 on one of what i presume is a shop layout. They seem to do this for most locos at least. I find these images particularly useful, because you can compare the colour of the background between photos to adjust the colour of the loco as well.

Kernow's layout photo of 46211 is lighter than the one of 46257, but taking that into account I would say that the BR green is pretty much the same on both. I also think the BR green one these two is richer than than the BR green Hornby has been using on its BR(W) locos. It also looks pretty close to the BR green on Hornby's recent WC/BB locos.

Hopefully this is the new Hornby BR green that will be used on all models in future, but I suspect it will still depend on which factory produces the model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

A question if I may. Does anyone do the lining transfers for this scheme, or are you one of the very talented people who can use a lining pen?

Although I'm not particularly an LMS fan, it is a very striking livery, and I wouldn't mind doing the odd respray myself. Someone on here did a Britannia in it a while back, which looked totally stunning.

Many thanks,

John.

If I was talented enough to use a pen, I would have no hesitation in doing it. :D

Fox do a range of post-1946 lining & numbers. They would still need patience & care to apply neatly.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

A question if I may. Does anyone do the lining transfers for this scheme, or are you one of the very talented people who can use a lining pen?

Although I'm not particularly an LMS fan, it is a very striking livery, and I wouldn't mind doing the odd respray myself. Someone on here did a Britannia in it a while back, which looked totally stunning.

Many thanks,

John.

I think its almost inevitable that there will be a model of 6256 in LMS black - maybe as part of ltd edition? 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I think that I've raised this before, but - those Kernow photos do suggest that the boiler lining is a single orange line.

Can anyone who has seen this model 'in the flesh' confirm whether this is the case, or is there a black line between two orange lines?

John Isherwood.

Photo on Hereford Model Centres site now and you can (just) make out that the black line is indeed present on the boiler bands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Photo on Hereford Model Centres site now and you can (just) make out that the black line is indeed present on the boiler bands. 

Thank you - one case where the lining is understated; albeit only in the black.

John Isherwood.

Best pics I could get for now, on my 8 year old sons railway. With bad lighting, I’ll get some outside ones in daylight on a drier day. Very happy with city of Salford though, ideal companion to sir William a stanier frs. The finish is to a high std with the boiler linings not to prominent. 

2812A09E-2CAC-4FAA-A4C3-799728F7769D.jpeg

E2845A1F-14E5-481D-8EC4-DEE91A69F354.jpeg

4228A061-3DA3-4E78-B685-91B4F8B35EEA.jpeg

A179A94E-B696-4217-A212-52C0FF309DD9.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 02/10/2020 at 14:27, MikeParkin65 said:

Just received mine courtesy of another fine service from Derails.I can confirm the lining is finely applied with demarcation between the yellow bands almost imperceptible with the naked eye but nevertheless in place. I’m also happy with the paint finish,the green being just so for me and fortunately without the dull flat impression that seems present on some recent models 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Just received mine courtesy of another fine service from Derails.I can confirm the lining is finely applied with demarcation between the yellow bands almost imperceptible with the naked eye but nevertheless in place. I’m also happy with the paint finish,the green being just so for me and fortunately without the dull flat impression that seems present on some recent models 

Thanks Ian. I knew it would be ok as soon as I 'won' a Comet conversion kit for an Ivatt Duchess on Ebay yesterday :lol:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now we have seen pictures of a green and maroon Princess Coronation class locomotives I enclose a picture of my new blue one. My new R3857 6220 Coronation ran very well with a rake of six free running old Coronation Scot coaches as did my old tender driven Coronation.  I am sure that they will both be able to cope with nine new Coronation Scot coaches when they come out.

P1110688.JPG

• Like 5

A view of part of my collection of Princess Coronation class locomotives with matching coaches:

6233 Duchess of Sutherland with matching LMS Stanier coaches

6237 City of Bristol tender driven and 6229 Duchess of Hamilton with mainly fictitious Coronation Scot coaches

6220 Coronation tender driven and a new locomotive driven version with Coronation Scot coaches

46232 Duchess of Montrose with a couple of crimson and cream Mk1s

Hornby are going to produce some authentic blue Coronation Scot coaches which will enhance the Coronation display.  When I first saw an illustration of Coronation in a book I did not recognise it as the same class of locomotive as a Duchess built without streamlining. 

P1110705.JPG

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/10/2020 at 11:12, Robin Brasher said:

A view of part of my collection of Princess Coronation class locomotives with matching coaches:

6233 Duchess of Sutherland with matching LMS Stanier coaches

6237 City of Bristol tender driven and 6229 Duchess of Hamilton with mainly fictitious Coronation Scot coaches

6220 Coronation tender driven and a new locomotive driven version with Coronation Scot coaches

46232 Duchess of Montrose with a couple of crimson and cream Mk1s

The LMS never ran Maroon and gold coaches in the united kingdom. A special set was built for the USA tour but never used over here.  Those sold by Hornby are a work of fiction.

Oops - just saw your 'ficticious' comment. My apologies. I suppose there could be readers who didn't already know this. :)

Edited by jacko
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, jacko said:

The LMS never ran Maroon and gold coaches in the united kingdom. A special set was built for the USA tour but never used over here.  Those sold by Hornby are a work of fiction.

Oops - just saw your 'ficticious' comment. My apologies. I suppose there could be readers who didn't already know this. :)

No longer fiction - the NRM has a standard LMS brake third painted red and gold accompanying 6229 Duchess of Hamilton. Life imitating art :)

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 18/11/2020 at 22:03, MikeParkin65 said:

No longer fiction - the NRM has a standard LMS brake third painted red and gold accompanying 6229 Duchess of Hamilton. Life imitating art :)

I visited the NRM back in 2014, finally fulfilling a lifetime’s dream of seeing a fully streamlined Coronation Pacific in person.

I spent a small age worshiping at the Art Deco altar of this spectacular restoration, but was equally enthralled by the accompanying Stanier coach in matching Maroon and Gold livery.

I know that livery only existed on the set that accompanied Duchess of Hamilton on its tour of the USA. However the coach livery gave me a powerful insight into an alternate reality where WWII never happened and the elegance of the late 1930s continued well into the 1940s (and possibly beyond).

I have the full set of blue Coronation coaches on pre-order, but would be willing to shell out my hard-earned cash for a second rake in lined maroon and gold should Hornby provide this at a later date (a likely proposition given the popularity of the first release!)

Even better would be an accompanying Hamilton loco, dressed up as Coronation with the bell and lights for its US adventures.....

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 01/10/2020 at 03:26, brushman47544 said:

It would be a shame after all the trouble Hornby went to to get the BR maroon correct on 46256 to make a hash of the BR green on 46257

I see that this model of BR green 46257 is not exactly widely available, did Hattons sell out ?

Did anyone ever actually get to see the version of green R3856 has?  The Kernow ad makes it look rather yellow but Kernow tend this way with their photos, to my eye anyway.

I'm curious as to the rarity of this model, my feeling is that it might become a short production run.... I'd be happier buying one if I thought the green was at the darker end of the Hornby range of greens.

Cheers

On 02/10/2020 at 23:24, brushman47544 said:

Kernow has included a photo of 46257 on one of what i presume is a shop layout. They seem to do this for most locos at least. I find these images particularly useful, because you can compare the colour of the background between photos to adjust the colour of the loco as well.

Kernow's layout photo of 46211 is lighter than the one of 46257, but taking that into account I would say that the BR green is pretty much the same on both. I also think the BR green one these two is richer than than the BR green Hornby has been using on its BR(W) locos. It also looks pretty close to the BR green on Hornby's recent WC/BB locos.

Hopefully this is the new Hornby BR green that will be used on all models in future, but I suspect it will still depend on which factory produces the model.

Ah I see my question had already been answered,  by reading back a few posts. Sorry.

I'll assume 46257 is a relatively rich shade of green.

20 minutes ago, robmcg said:

I see that this model of BR green 46257 is not exactly widely available, did Hattons sell out ?

Did anyone ever actually get to see the version of green R3856 has?  The Kernow ad makes it look rather yellow but Kernow tend this way with their photos, to my eye anyway.

I'm curious as to the rarity of this model, my feeling is that it might become a short production run.... I'd be happier buying one if I thought the green was at the darker end of the Hornby range of greens.

Cheers

Rob,

Still quite a few of these available at UK outlets priced between £152 and £170.99.

I think the livery application is akin to that applied to the Princess class Queen Maud and the Lord Nelson's.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Rob,

Still quite a few of these available at UK outlets priced between £152 and £170.99.

I think the livery application is akin to that applied to the Princess class Queen Maud and the Lord Nelson's.

Not too bad then!   Thanks for the replies. 

Note to self; I really must look a little way back in a thread before I start asking dumb questions! 

Edited by robmcg
brainfade
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Rob,

Yes I find that version of Brunswick Green quite acceptable and own examples of both the above, and have ordered a 46257 ... the question now being delivery times UK-NZ...

Also pre-ordered a weathered A2/2 from TMC,  so much to look forward to! :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Rob,

I hope not. 30863 Lord Rodney was awful. There is a picture of it in the new Hornby catalogue and it looks quite acceptable. I don’t think that lighting could account for the difference – perhaps the model was a hand-painted, pre-production model.