Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

I hope not. 30863 Lord Rodney was awful. There is a picture of it in the new Hornby catalogue and it looks quite acceptable. I don’t think that lighting could account for the difference – perhaps the model was a hand-painted, pre-production model.

But aren't the illustrations in the Hornby catalogue computer generated anyway ?

FYI, the model of City of Salford was in a local outlet contained within a lit glass cabinet.

At least the Hornby green is not nearly as bad as used on the otherwise superb King Class.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I ordered the new catalogue from Kernow on the 15th so I’ll let you know how long it takes lol

I ordered one from Peters Spares about the 12th and received it two days ago, but the postage was expensive being via NZ Post's UK brance 'Youshop' in Southall.   It's a lovely catalogue, lots of browsing potential, and full of optimism, as well as a very large number of models.

Although completely off-thread I also ordered A2/2 R3831 60505 'Thane of Fife' with value weathering from TMC yesterday  and they described its arrival as 'imminent'.  2-3 weeks extra for the weathering though...  I'm thinking that light weathering will be easier for me to add-to or embellish, and try to reach that excellent 'used but not entirely neglected' look....  although I think the A2/2s would probably have been very rough at times.  In most photos they look fairly good, maybe so much time in the works! :) 

5 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

But aren't the illustrations in the Hornby catalogue computer generated anyway ?

FYI, the model of City of Salford was in a local outlet contained within a lit glass cabinet.

At least the Hornby green is not nearly as bad as used on the otherwise superb King Class.

The image on page 78. The images of the A2/2s R3830 and R3831 on the Hatton’s website don’t look computer generated – I think they are hand-painted models. If the production models have the same finish, I’ll be very surprised and pleased.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

The image on page 78. The images of the A2/2s R3830 and R3831 on the Hatton’s website don’t look computer generated – I think they are hand-painted models. If the production models have the same finish, I’ll be very surprised and pleased.

Sorry, but I thought you were referring in your post to pictures in the Hornby catalogue.

With regards to the A2(2) and A2(3) classes on the Hattons website, they do indeed look to be pre-production hand painted samples.

Hornby do need to have some consistency with regard to their rendition of BR Brunswick Green.

10 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Sorry, but I thought you were referring in your post to pictures in the Hornby catalogue.

With regards to the A2(2) and A2(3) classes on the Hattons website, they do indeed look to be pre-production hand painted samples.

Hornby do need to have some consistency with regard to their rendition of BR Brunswick Green.

No problem at all. I was referring to the picture of Lord Rodney on page 78 of the Hornby catalogue. The catalogue shows not only computer generated images of models but also shows photographs of actual models in a scenic setting. It was one of the latter which caught my eye. I then went on to discuss the A2/2s. Sorry I didn’t make myself clear.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

Re your post of 29/11/2016 Ian Hargrave, the only time I was hauled by a 'Coronation' was in 1957, when I returned from a day's spotting at Crewe. I was pleasantly surprised to see 46257 'City of Salford' at the head of the 3.15pm Crewe-Manchester London Road service, to take me back home. It consisted of 3 or 4 coaches, and was on a running-in turn after a works visit (and re-paint), and was the first loco I saw with the then 'new' totem on the tender.  'Semis' and other named classes were often put in charge of this service for the same reason. Arriving at London Road about 4pm, It was a good opportunity, as we waited for our trains home from school, to 'cop namers' on this service. 

• Like 3

Having read through the thread in more detail - all the various pluses and minuses based around the variable quality of individual models - my first impression of the new Hornby offering was that the chimney is not quite right. A minor matter, some might say, but that very feature helps depict the true appearance of the engine. In my view, it is too flat above the lip, which would put me off making a purchase, costing in some cases close to £200. Apropos that particular point though, I recall - much earlier in the thread - a comment by Clive Mark I think, along the lines of 'poor DJH, I wonder if they will be able to sell any more' (of their Coronation kits I assume). Well, at over £200 for the loco plus tender kit alone (let alone the cost of  wheels, motor, gearbox etc,), it could be that the price may be the reason for any possible/future reduction in sales. Personally, I have had experience of 2 DJH kits, bought from them as new. The first was a ex-LNER J35, which I found to be a bit pricey, but not at all a bad kit. The second, an ex-Caley 'Jumbo', I thought was decidedly over-priced - being based on quite dated kit design - in comparison to the J35. I have a ex-Caley class 439 tank, nicely built, which cost me a little more than the price of the DJH kit as new! After a polite request to DJH for chassis parts missing from one of their kits I was given (not realising the box contained an incomplete kit), they declined to sell the relevant parts to me as I had not bought the kit from them as new. Needless to say, I am less than impressed; I don't think I will be buying any more DJH kits. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, MacDuff999 said:

After a polite request to DJH for chassis parts missing from one of their kits I was given (not realising the box contained an incomplete kit), they declined to sell the relevant parts to me as I had not bought the kit from them as new. Needless to say, I am less than impressed; I don't think I will be buying any more DJH kits.

Why not? It is well known that DJH don't supply parts from their kits; as a matter of policy.

Kits comprise a specific number of each part, and an efficient manufacturer will obtain those parts in multiples of the number of parts in a kit. If they then cannibalises kits to supply requests for spares, they end up with numerous kits that are incomplete.

DJH sold a complete kit to whoever sold you your incomplete kit; they are not responsible for the deficiency. It's very much a case of buyer beware when buying secondhand kits.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 4

I just thought a more positive approach to their customers might win (or help them to retain) a few more. I still maintain their kits are expensive for what - certainly some of them - are. I did not buy the kit I latterly referred to by the way, and it was not second hand.   

3 hours ago, MacDuff999 said:

I just thought a more positive approach to their customers might win (or help them to retain) a few more. I still maintain their kits are expensive for what - certainly some of them - are. I did not buy the kit I latterly referred to by the way, and it was not second hand.   

I think what people are getting miffed at is you are using a Hornby thread to take a swipe at another manufacturer.

Particularly by dragging up a comment that was probably made about five years ago. 

For the record the effect on DJH sales was probably zero. Totally different markets.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, MacDuff999 said:

From what you say, it should be possible for the person who gave you the kit to approach DJH for the missing parts - presumably that person DID purchase the kit from DJH, if it's not secondhand. You are implying that DJH sold an incomplete kit.

John Isherwood.

I was looking at the streamlined versions of this latest model and something just didn't look right to me, but I couldn't put a finger on it until now. It's the boiler bands (or cladding bands I suppose), they are way too prominent compared to photographs of the originals, in fact Hornby did a better job on the previous model.

Such a shame as these locos have at last gained a proper set of Coronation Scot carriages to go with them.

Glenn

• Like 1

Late to this party but I recently purchased a poor running 2004 Princess, she goes like a dream now.

Also have two streamlined ones, iconic locos.

Edited by mikesndbs
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

Solford or Salford? :) 

Spelt Sal, but pronounced Sol as in footballer Sol Campbell.

Just poking fun at the pronunciation of it. A place I know quite well. There used to be a good pub called The Crescent, unfortunately now closed, but apparently going to reopen as something else.

https://manchesterhistory.net/manchester/outside/SALFORD/thecrescent.html

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Just poking fun at the pronunciation of it. A place I know quite well. There used to be a good pub called The Crescent, unfortunately now closed, but apparently going to reopen as something else.

Jason

I used to regularly goto the crescent when I was at uni.

And the pint pot across the street.

The pint pot used to do a student special on a monday, free food at 6pm, usually curry, chili or spag bol. One of my mates used to go, get someone else to buy him a pint, then join the food line several times, returning to his table and tipping his plates contents into a plastic container to eat at the student residence later that week... when in salford do as the locals do... he used to drive around in a 3 year old volvo, so he wasnt that hard up either.

Crescent I recall, wasn't that popular, stunk of damp, at least the left side room (manchester side), with a lob sided pool table, but the beer was cheap and it was the first stop towards town on a night out so we’d congregate there and walk in.

I seem to recall Salford old town museum (in the middle of campus) had a city of salford nameplate ?

Edited by adb968008

13 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

There is a village called Salford just east from Milton Keynes. I am told they pronounce it "Safford". :scratchhead:

• Like 1

On 01/05/2021 at 14:17, mikesndbs said:

Late to this party but I recently purchased a poor running 2004 Princess, she goes like a dream now.

Also have two streamlined ones, iconic locos.

Aware that this is a bit off topic, I couldn't agree more that the Hornby products from this era seem to be a high point in production quality, moreover the second hand market is a great source of bargains. There seems to big a large pool of "pre-owned, mint" locos, bought perhaps for that layout that never happened, which offer a great opportunity for those prepared to do some work, as you've shown.

The new Hornby Princess Royal is of course more detailed and more accurate than the one that you (and I ) have, but the most obvious difference and improvement is the treatment of the rear pony, which in reality is set inside extensions to the frames, rather than being free to move separately as on this model. When Hornby upgraded their Duchess/ Semi/ City, so they did revise this feature which on earlier models was done in the same way as on the Princess Royal. The part required was made available as a spare for around £2.50, and it wasn't difficult to do an upgrade to the more accurate arrangement. I don't know if a similar part is available for the Princess Royals. I've so dealt with my two Semis, but not yet moved onto the Princess Royal!

John.

P.S. When you get fed up re-glueing those steps on your MN, have a look at the cast brass items on here under the Albert Goodall section, which have a proper fastening arrangement.  https://www.rtmodels.co.uk/

Edited by John Tomlinson
added P.S.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I've a couple of them, and could attach without problem, and they're very solid, and ... that's the problem.

They're probably twice as thick as they need to be to look correct.

Al.

Like all brass castings they benefit from a bit of dressing before fitting. Particularly with a triangular file to get a clean right angle inside the joint between steps and uprights.

Agreed, they are still a bit on the clunky side, but useful when you've lost the original, or a second hand purchase came without.

John.

• Agree 1

On 08/05/2021 at 23:54, drt7uk said:

Hi folks,

If I were to use the larger front bogie for the new Coronation Scot Queen Elizabeth engine, what points will I need to use for it to go into a siding?

The Express point + R628?

or would normal (2nd radius) point + 2nd radius curve R606 be OK?

Sorry for the late reply, but I am just catching up on recent Rmweb posts. I have fitted the larger front bogie to one of the newest streamlined Hornby Coronations (King George VI) and also to an older “NRM Special Edition” streamlined Duchess of Hamilton.

Both locos perform well on my layout, including navigating 2nd radius points in sidings at low speed. My double track main line uses large radius curves (approximately 33” on the outer circuit and 26” on the inner one) with express points and both locos happily romp along at scale speeds in excess of 100 mph. The older Hornby version has always been an excellent runner, but doesn’t quite have the haulage power of the latest tooling.

The larger bogie wheels do make a big difference to the appearance of these excellent Hornby models. My next job is to fit the alternative bogie to my blue and silver Queen Elizabeth model, as I’m looking forward to seeing it haul my recently acquired set of matching Coronation Scot coaches. 

Edited by apollanaut
  • Thanks 1