Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

I worked with a Glaswegian lass years ago and she assured me it was Buckloo.

More like Buh-kloo - short first syllable, with emphasis on the second syllable.

• RMweb Premium

Minor but quite noticeable issue affecting both crimson tenders: the yellow lining is a bit off at the top of the sides. It should be between the crimson and the black border but has been printed too high, within the black border, and as a result doesn't match the end panel.

Coventry and London. 46240 was the first I ever saw on shed at Landudno Junction in August 1952...and no arguments over the shade of maroon or green because she was in blue.46245 saw service in her final years on Euston-Wolverhampton turns and a number of enthusiasts specials for The Warwickshire Railway Society from New street in 1963/64 which I remember with great pleasure and much nostalgia....as I travelled on them.Definitely in maroon

Ian

What shade of blue then?!?? ;)

David

• RMweb Gold

Ian

What shade of blue then?!?? ;)

David

Well...I'll have a think on that one,David.My viewpoint as I remember was unique...from a pleasure craft on the tidal river that separates Conwy from Landudno Junction.I remember the excitement to this day...my first Duchess

• Like 1

Well...I'll have a think on that one,David.My viewpoint as I remember was unique...from a pleasure craft on the tidal river that separates Conwy from Landudno Junction.I remember the excitement to this day...my first Duchess

That sounds a somewhat indelible memory!

I'm fairly certain my first Duchess was City of Birmingham and courtesy of the hydraulic jacks moved from one side of the science museum to the other...around the same time I think I'd have seen 6201 at Hereford. My son, by age 4, has 'cleared' the surviving Duchesses!

• RMweb Gold

That sounds a somewhat indelible memory!

I'm fairly certain my first Duchess was City of Birmingham and courtesy of the hydraulic jacks moved from one side of the science museum to the other...around the same time I think I'd have seen 6201 at Hereford. My son, by age 4, has 'cleared' the surviving Duchesses!

An excursion behind my local 46233 is highly recommended.Our last ( Oct 2014 ) consisted of a Derby -Crewe-Carlisle-Ais Gill-Blackburn-Crewe-Derby with "our" Duchess providing front end from Crewe to Crewe return.If this is repeated anytime soon..then go,for it.Google PMR Railtours at Ripley.

• RMweb Gold

Having looked a great number of colour photo's of the Princess Coronation in Maroon/Crimson Lake, I'm with Larry and Ian on this - Maroon/Crimson Lake looks different depending on lighting/exposure/film & type of lens used. So give the big H a break until you see them in the flesh. - the loco's look stunning.

I would also advise those who do have to wear glasses, remember that the type of coating/tint you have on your glasses can affect your colour perception on any computer monitor/tablet/ phone screen.

Hence why I have reading glasses without any tint or (special - i.e expensive) coating ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't care about the debate about the flaming colour it looks bloody great!!!. And it's expected in October! So I can soon have Sir Bil to go with Solford and Lancaster! Bloody Marvellous!!!!

Edited by farren
  • Like 2

i don't care about the debate about the flaming colour it looks bloody great!!!. And it's expected in October! So I can soon have Sir Bil to go with Solford and Lancaster! Bloody Marvellous!!!!

Solford, SOLFORD!, to where do you refer good sir!

<<<<<<<

I agree about the colour.

It's clear nobody can be sure of the actual livery, it looked different with age, under different lighting, with different film. Colour memory is notoriously fickle. Hornby should just make it the most atttactive shade of the many that might look right.

Nobody could say it was wrong, and they'll sell even more.

(Well, whatever shade they choose some will say it's wrong, so best please the majority.)

Edited by Arthur

Has Hornby's Crimson Lake suddenly become the new Hornby BR Green? It's not right, different lighting changes how it looks etc? It's painted plastic, it might get close, but being a scale model of something made of metal we'll never get it 100% right on a mass produced model. Personally i think it looks good.

Glad to see Hornby has changed the tender frames and gotten ride of that ledge. Glad to see they are listening to the feed back of modellers on those sort of details. The 'hollow' axles are a great touch and one i didn't expect, great touch.

• Like 2

For me, 42656, tearing through Trent Valley Lichfield, very red, very fast...around 1960, ...thanks Mam and Dad,

for taking me there on a Sunday afternoon after dinner..

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear some disturbing news has reached me, that the MiM have been commissioned by the Staniernistas to build a device based on their extremely successful re-education tool - the Air-Smoother, apparently it will be called the Streamliner... ;) :D

• RMweb Gold

<<<<<<<

Sorry to disappoint there's no sign of one from Hornby yet!

I meant the 'City of Solford' model I made with the aid of a standard Hornby Coronation and a Comet kit.

Sorry to disappoint there's no sign of one from Hornby yet!

I meant the 'City of Solford' model I made with the aid of a standard Hornby Coronation and a Comet kit.

It's City of Salford, that's why the person you quoted went and reacted like that, you misspelled part of 46257's name.

• RMweb Gold

For me, 42656, tearing through Trent Valley Lichfield, very red, very fast...around 1960, ...thanks Mam and Dad,

for taking me there on a Sunday afternoon after dinner..

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Just read this post again,Peter. That must have been one amazingly fettled tank....sorry.... :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Just read this post again,Peter. That must have been one amazingly fettled tank....sorry.... :jester:

Hmmmmmmmmmm :butcher:  :butcher:

Mike(Who like Farren ca't wait for this one!!, only trouble being is that a big red 'un is going to stand out and will be difficult to conceal from SWBO!!) hints though have been subtly dropped and it is my Birthday in October. :angel:  :angel:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why conceal it? If she says anything tell her "it's only money"

:) :)

I've tried that!!........................it doesn't work anymore :no: ...it did work on the Peckett, Stanier mogul,the Wickam Trolley(considered cute!!) even the Garret but my cuticles are in danger of being nailed(no pun intended and any way I  don't mean cuticles) to the outside balcony wall :scared:

Mike

<<<<<<<

I agree about the colour.

It's clear nobody can be sure of the actual livery, it looked different with age, under different lighting, with different film. Colour memory is notoriously fickle. Hornby should just make it the most atttactive shade of the many that might look right.

Nobody could say it was wrong, and they'll sell even more.

(Well, whatever shade they choose some will say it's wrong, so best please the majority.)

Um, there are paint specifications in the NRM archieve I believe. There are also in some cases paint samples (e.g. LMS Crimson used to match 6229). The challenge comes with scaling that colour, but to say 'nobody can be sure' is not correct.