Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the name discussion recently, the tv show Victoria may bring some conclusion. They pronounce Buccleuch as Bucluu.

"Received pronounciation" on a tv script ? You wish...These days even BBC News readers seem to be challenged    :jester:

but in this case "Bucluu" (or "Bucklew") is correct.

While the new tooling makes a superb model I notice there are still no brakes on the front drivers. I know this has been discussed before, and you tend not to notice unless it's pointed out. Everything else around the model looks truly magnificent.

The wait until 4/2018 for a BR 'ordinary' version, with Stanier rear truck, is long....   sigh

On the other hand, second hand or remaindered existing models are cheap. Instant gratification or patience?

Cheers

p.s. don't mention eccentric cranks on centre drivers.  :)

here is my adaptation of the Hornby production photo, I hope it is allowed, will remove if requested.

post-7929-0-66465900-1506030231_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

While the new tooling makes a superb model I notice there are still no brakes on the front drivers. I know this has been discussed before, and you tend not to notice unless it's pointed out. Everything else around the model looks truly magnificent.

The wait until 4/2018 for a BR 'ordinary' version, with Stanier rear truck, is long....   sigh

On the other hand, second hand or remaindered existing models are cheap. Instant gratification or patience?

Cheers

p.s. don't mention eccentric cranks on centre drivers.  :)

here is my adaptation of the Hornby production photo, I hope it is allowed, will remove if requested.

attachicon.gif46235_duchess_r3509tts_1abcd_r1200a.jpg

Hattons (based on the Hornby update) are still saying October for 6256 and November for the other 2. Also I haven't seen any evidence of the prices of the current version dropping - in fact the last  - 46236 hasnt appeared anywhere in the UK for less than 3 figures as far as I can see.

Hattons (based on the Hornby update) are still saying October for 6256 and November for the other 2. Also I haven't seen any evidence of the prices of the current version dropping - in fact the last  - 46236 hasnt appeared anywhere in the UK for less than 3 figures as far as I can see.

Hornby themselves say May 2018 on their website pre-order page.

post-7929-0-82150200-1506045528_thumb.jpg

Hornbys website currently shows the LMS and BR maroon livery versions as November 2017 delivery and the BR green City of Birmingham tts version as May 2018.

Hornbys website currently shows the LMS and BR maroon livery versions as November 2017 delivery and the BR green City of Birmingham tts version as May 2018.

Hopefully tomorrow’s Engine Shed will give us some more info.

Hornby posted on Facebook yesterday that Today's engine shed will be the H class, but you never know. I am not surprised that TTS Duchess will follow later because the same happened with the Merchant Navy and most other TTS variants of a new release. In this case it might seem longer than normal but we have Christmas and the Chinese New Year between the Maroon and BR batch which doubtless add 2 extra months.

Ah well we shall have to be content with 46256 Sir William A Stanier F R S  and Duchess of Athol for the time being, my assumption being that they are at least finished and in transit to the UK.

46256 looks so good that I HAD to pre-order one!

I notice that the model used in ads so far has an artwork-applied front brake rod visible on the side-on shot, but not visible in the rather attractive 3/4 view. A very minor quibble, it looks fantastic.

The Engine Shed shows that Hornby have taken great pains over the BR Maroon colour,  great stuff.

post-7929-0-36656000-1506122128_thumb.jpg

Cheers

edit to add an 'A' to Sir William's name. :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 6

I think I've resigned myself to an eventual fleet of Sutherland, Hamilton and Birmingham, assuming these models, or at the very least correct tooling and livery variations, are produced. I can therefore feel a pre-order for 46235 being made, on the basis of Hornby's excellent photos. Do we know of any retailers allowing orders of loco-only (i.e. sound chip removed)? I gather TTS can't even be used on analogue (unlike full fat DCC sound).

On that note (pun intended?) is there a reason Hornby release 'popular' (preserved) locos with sound on board rather than making them more widely available - I am thinking that Clun Castle was only made DCC Sound, a popular BR and post-BR performer with a huge price tag...!

I think I've resigned myself to an eventual fleet of Sutherland, Hamilton and Birmingham, assuming these models, or at the very least correct tooling and livery variations, are produced. I can therefore feel a pre-order for 46235 being made, on the basis of Hornby's excellent photos. Do we know of any retailers allowing orders of loco-only (i.e. sound chip removed)? I gather TTS can't even be used on analogue (unlike full fat DCC sound).

On that note (pun intended?) is there a reason Hornby release 'popular' (preserved) locos with sound on board rather than making them more widely available - I am thinking that Clun Castle was only made DCC Sound, a popular BR and post-BR performer with a huge price tag...!

Rails were. Seems to have disappeared from the website though.

Maybe get in touch with them.

Jason

Rails of Sheffield have in recent times, sold both the tts Crosti 9f and the Merchant Navy Class, Holland Afrika Line with the sound unit removed.

I've just purchased the latter mentioned loco from Derails with the tts system removed at a very competitive price.

Both shops are definitely worth a call to see if they will be doing this on future releases.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just seen a production version of 46256 on the Hornby stand at the Great Electric Train show. No one need worry about the colour, it looks absolutely spot on and the whole model is magnificent. Reviewed in this months Hornby Magazine and was told that it and the LMS maroon version will both be released 'at the end of October'. :)

• Like 3

Just seen a production version of 46256 on the Hornby stand at the Great Electric Train show. No one need worry about the colour, it looks absolutely spot on and the whole model is magnificent. Reviewed in this months Hornby Magazine and was told that it and the LMS maroon version will both be released 'at the end of October'. :)

What else was present on the Hornby stand?