Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

Thanks for that...seems like there's painted samples of the Class 87s too...

That got me thinking, maybe Hornby cancelled their Engine Shed blog for this weekend probably because they wanted to have a surprise announcement, but it probably didn't reach Hornby in time. We've seen that happen quite a few times with many manufacturers.

That being said, they should've atleast had a write up on the Class 87.

• Like 2

Mobile phone shots only - I'm afraid I am no Tony Wright! :)

Lovely, thankyou Mike, I see the driving wheels have excellent-shaped spokes unlike the older Duchesses, and the front wheels are better too, but have generous flanges.

Small details abound, like water filter box on tender underframe (which is also on late run 'old' Duchesses) and the general front end treatment look good, as does the lining. It looks to me as if there is room for brakes on the front drivers, but perhaps not. A possible addition for aftermarket bits or spare parts boxes.  

Would you mind if I tried to enhance your pic a little?

Cheers,

edit, in for a penny...  here is your pic with some of my massaging by paintshop pro6 and picasa

please note;   no details have been changed at all, will remove it if necessary.  Much as I'd love to change it! :)

post-7929-0-27496100-1507415167_thumb.jpg

very nice model!  thanks for your pic and I'm no Tony Wright either!

typo edit    you could say the pic is edited too, but not in any way other than brightness, contrast, colour saturation, and removal of background, and sharpening and/or blurring.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Lovely, thankyou Mike, I see the driving wheels have excellent-shaped spokes unlike the older Duchesses, and the front wheels are better too, but have generous flanges.

Small details abound, like water filter box on tender underframe (which is also on late run 'old' Duchesses) and the general front end treatment look good, as does the lining. It looks to me as if there is room for brakes on the front drivers, but perhaps not. A possible addition for aftermarket bits or spare parts boxes.  

Would you mind if I tried to enhance your pic a little?

Cheers,

edit, in for a penny...  here is your pic with some of my massaging by paintshop pro6 and picasa

please note;   no details have been changed at all, will remove it if necessary.  Much as I'd love to change it! :)

attachicon.gif46256_duchess_portrait1_2abc_r1200.jpg

very nice model!  thanks for your pic and I'm no Tony Wright either!

typo edit    you could say the pic is edited too, but not in any way other than brightness, contrast, colour saturation, and removal of background, and sharpening and/or blurring.

This has got the colour nearer to how it appeared in the cabinet. It looks exactly as I remember 46229 looked when I first saw it in the NRM in the late 1970's and it has a most appealing sheen that gives the colour 'life'. 

It's the next 16 coaches, and the 30'x 16' shed to house the layout...

I don't know where people get the idea that Duchesses always pulled 16 coach trains. Coronation Scot was 8 coaches & most stations could not cope with a lot more.

30'x16' is not necessary either. I have a 00 scale model of a prototype WCML location in 15'x8', including fiddle yards. I found a location I could model, I am sure there are others.

Pardon my ignorance but will any of these new releases be suitable for City Of Carlisle in BR maroon? I would like to consider one as the previous one by Hornby got caught up in thier factory despite and only very few were ever made.

City of Carlisle is an ex-streamliner so City of Birmingham should use the correct moulding, although the initial release of this is in BR green.

Sir WIlliam A Stanier FRS is the Ivatt type with different cab sides & pony truck.

Duchess of Atholl was a non-streamliner with curved running plates in front of the cylinders.

Tenders may also have been different although these sometimes got swapped.

The new toolings cover the major variations except the 1946-1958 de-streamliners with sloping smokebox.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of variants to come. I'm holding off buying a second Ivatt version to repaint as City of Salford as I cannot see Hornby going to the trouble of moulding the bits for Sir William and not subsequently doing a green 46257.

Edited by Arthur

I don't know where people get the idea that Duchesses always pulled 16 coach trains. Coronation Scot was 8 coaches & most stations could not cope with a lot more.

30'x16' is not necessary either. I have a 00 scale model of a prototype WCML location in 15'x8', including fiddle yards. I found a location I could model, I am sure there are others.

People probably got the idea from history seeing as these locos were designed to hauls trains up to 500 tons.  A cursory glance in photo albums covering these locos showed trains stretching back into the hazy dstance, not 8 coach trains for the design of a Duchess would be unnecessary.  Long heavy West Coast trains were a legacy of the way the LNWR worked the line.  But loco changes were necessary in order to clean out the ashpan and even the Royal Clot class suffered from this. The wider firebox of a Pacific allowed through running.

In their final 18 months or so, they got to work on other lines but they were overkill for the trains they worked out their time on.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Saw a fully decorated version at the GETS yesterday, I must say it looks even better in the flesh, a superb model which will please many. The Maroon looks much deeper in the flesh than the photo in post 503. 

Edited by 7013
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Speak for yourself Pete!

If I tell Mrs Smith that its only 15x8, she'll limit my shed size...

Ian.

• Like 1

I too had a go at lightening the under-exposed image and decided in the end not to upload the lightened image because it isn't helpful to produce misleading colours, as in post 503, when the manufacturer is doing his utmost to get it right on the new as yet unreleased Pacific.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of variants to come. I'm holding off buying a second Ivatt version to repaint as City of Salford as I cannot see Hornby going to the trouble of moulding the bits for Sir William and not subsequently doing a green 46257.

I spoke to someone on the Hornby stand at the Great Electric Train Show yesterday & he mentioned City of Salford.

He said that they were doing Atholl as a nod to their past, because it was the first Duchess they made.

Birmingham because this was the loco they spent some time measuring in order to get the dimensions right.

Stanier because they felt it was the natural one of the Ivatt pair to do.

He stressed that these were going to be the first & more would follow in time. He specifically mentioned Salford, so be patient & you should see it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I too had a go at lightening the under-exposed image and decided in the end not to upload the lightened image because it isn't helpful to produce misleading colours, as in post 503, when the manufacturer is doing his utmost to get it right on the new as yet unreleased Pacific.

The original which I took was through glass. Robs correction of my image does get closer to the colour I saw as opposed to the the picture my phone took pre processing. It model looks absolutely spot on and better than the shots in the forthcoming Hornby magazine which are more matt than the actual. I can't believe anyone will be disappointed with this model :)

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Like 1

I can't believe anyone will be disappointed with this model :)

Gird up your loins to be disabused of that notion in the next few weeks.  Nits will be picked, features dissected and a good number of people will have a gripe or two.

• Like 1

The original which I took was through glass. Robs correction of my image does get closer to the colour I saw as opposed to the the picture my phone took pre processing. It model looks absolutely spot on and better than the shots in the forthcoming Hornby magazine which are more matt than the actual. I can't believe anyone will be disappointed with this model :)

Thanks Mike.

I could have darkened the maroon considerably but on my screen it wasn't far off the tone and hue of the Hornby colours in The Engine shed photos, a little lighter perhaps, on my laptop the screen darkens or lightens considerably depending on angle.

Perhaps I had my screen titled back too far yesterday when I set the colours!  It certainly confirmed my pre-order, what a good-looking model.

Thanks again for taking the pic, I hadn't realised it was through glass.

As to length of train, Duchesses on the WCML certainly had a lot of 12-15 total express trains sometimes a bit more, but also had quite a few running-in turns with shorter trains where quite conveniently they are often pristine. :)  Not to mention various 'filling-in' local trains even stoppers in Scotland and possibly elsewhere.

here is a darker version anyway...  I will shortly put another version on in the 'Best Ever' thread where I am allowed to play unhindered! 

post-7929-0-19292600-1507491546_thumb.jpg

edit,

here is the fuller version

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82970-hornbys-best-ever-models/page-62&do=findComment&comment=2880785

cheers and thanks again Mike

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

My only reservation of the model as shown above is the front bogie wheel, which really looks very little like the dished bogies on the prototype. There isn't enough flare at the transition from the spokes to the hub, and as such the hub is too small and the spokes look too long. The preview pics on antics look slightly better in terms of spoke length, but still no flare and some sort of weird outer hub, but shap of 'daylight' between spokes looks better. What do other people think?

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/749_1_108255658.html