Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

My only reservation of the model as shown above is the front bogie wheel, which really looks very little like the dished bogies on the prototype. There isn't enough flare at the transition from the spokes to the hub, and as such the hub is too small and the spokes look too long. The preview pics on antics look slightly better in terms of spoke length, but still no flare and some sort of weird outer hub, but shap of 'daylight' between spokes looks better. What do other people think?

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/749_1_108255658.html

That and the lack of front brakes. and cheese-cutter flanges, and the sanders are nice on say a Clan or Britannia  but I say, and will say again, what a superb-looking model and as Coachmann rightly points out Hornby went to a lot of trouble with the colour.

For those that have seen both, how does the colour of this compare with ‘City of Birmingham’? A subjective question I know, as colour memory varies. I haven’t seen City of Birmingham for about 30 years, so my memory is a bit faded.....

For those that have seen both, how does the colour of this compare with ‘City of Birmingham’? A subjective question I know, as colour memory varies. I haven’t seen City of Birmingham for about 30 years, so my memory is a bit faded.....

Which bit of 'City of Birmingham'...? As can be seen on some of the pics on the page below, there are at least two shades of Green on the running plate!

http://www.hall-royd-junction.co.uk/Hall_Royd_Trains/Stanier_Coronation_detail.html

What’s the purpose of the indentation in the lower boiler?

I've been wondering that for a while. This is the indentation below the nameplate right? Anyone care to enlighten us?

It seems to result in a gap in the insulation of the boiler...

http://www.prclt.co.uk/images/6233_boiler_lift.gif?crc=3987331638

But no visible indentation or fixing on the barrel itself...

http://www.prclt.co.uk/images/jan%20115.jpg?crc=185443556

Very strange. Like most things in engineering, I'm sure there is a reason, but it is not readily evident to those not in the know.

My only reservation of the model as shown above is the front bogie wheel, which really looks very little like the dished bogies on the prototype. There isn't enough flare at the transition from the spokes to the hub, and as such the hub is too small and the spokes look too long. The preview pics on antics look slightly better in terms of spoke length, but still no flare and some sort of weird outer hub, but shap of 'daylight' between spokes looks better. What do other people think?

Get a life!  If that is all you can criticise it must be a great model.  99.9% of modellers will be delighted with it.  If you are not happy with it, don't buy it or build a kit.

Peter

I think you need a shrink-ray and a real locomotive....also a way to re-gauge it after it's shrunk and you'll need some OO gauge couplings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gird up your loins to be disabused of that notion in the next few weeks.  Nits will be picked, features dissected and a good number of people will have a gripe or two.

What? On here? No, never! Where on earth did you get that idea from?

Ian.

Get a life!  If that is all you can criticise it must be a great model.  99.9% of modellers will be delighted with it.  If you are not happy with it, don't buy it or build a kit.

Peter

I'm sure there are other compromises, but such is the character of this model, this is the only thing that jumps out at me. Actually not a hard thing to rectify, but I wanted to raise it. I don't doubt that people (including me) will be pleased with it, but the bogie wheels (in contrast to the other wheels) do jump out for me. In contrast to the Britannia bogies, which are a better, (but by no means perfect) attemp at capturing the flared boss. I thought the whole point of a forum was for discussion?

EDIT - don't get me wrong, great model (and as stated above, I intend eventually to get all 3 preserved examples) but odd choice of bogie wheel, with no easily understandable explanation for the compromise in bogie wheel shape.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

I'm sure there are other compromises, but such is the character of this model, this is the only thing that jumps out at me. Actually not a hard thing to rectify, but I wanted to raise it. I don't doubt that people (including me) will be pleased with it, but the bogie wheels (in contrast to the other wheels) do jump out for me. In contrast to the Britannia bogies, which are a better, but by no means perfect) attemp at capturing the dished boss. I thought the whole point of a forum was for discussion?

I rather suspect railway modellers routinely replace Hornby and Bachmann bogie wheels with Gibsons or Markits hweels.  The Alan Gibson 3' diameter nine-spoke Stanier bevel-rim for the 'Duchess' is ref: G4836ST.

• RMweb Gold

I rather suspect railway modellers routinely replace Hornby and Bachmann bogie wheels with Gibsons or Markits hweels.  The Alan Gibson 3' diameter nine-spoke Stanier bevel-rim for the 'Duchess' is ref: G4836ST.

Already 'in stock' along with the Fox plates. Just need Locoman to do a sound project from 46233 now...... :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Speak for yourself Pete!

If I tell Mrs Smith that its only 15x8, she'll limit my shed size...

Ian.

Hello Pete, I'm the one responsible for the phrase '16 on'. However, in my defence, I'd suggest that the model deserves justice for a train of that size. In model terms, I'd like to see if the model can actually move a 16 coach train. That has to be a compliment, as I'm  dyed in the wool Western.

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Pete, I'm the one responsible for the phrase '16 on'. However, in my defence, I'd suggest that the model deserves justice for a train of that size. In model terms, I'd like to see if the model can actually move a 16 coach train. That has to be a compliment, as I'm  dyed in the wool Western.

Ian.

Probably, my as built MN can easily do it. Even my Peckett can pull 7 Hornby Staniers, but doesn't on a regular basis!

• Like 1

Just read Hornby Mags review, looks like a winner in the detail department, the infamous tender ledge is gone with a much more accurate representation of the underside of the tender body now replaces it. Apparently pulled 12 coaches on the test layout no issue at all. Most interestingly, it says the model is more satin/gloss than the satin/matt finish we have had for a long time from Honrby. There is a picture of 6231's front third taken from the side of the model and it actually looks like Crimson Lake instead of whatever shade of red Hornby used to paint the LMS locos in. So well done to Hornby with that.

• RMweb Gold

And now Hornby's 46256 in motion . This has to be model of the year surely.

http://www.hornbymagazine.com/2017/10/12/video-Hornby-stanier-duchess-4-6-2-for-oo/

At first glance I read 'on sale from October 12 2017' as the loco release date, then I realised it means the magazine sale date!

A bit longer to wait but it'll be worth it.

Cheers,

Keith