Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Premium

Entered traffic in absolutely resplendent lined 1947 black with polished wheels, the works! :) In fact 6256 is a fine choice both for a model and rebuild as it carried every postwar Duchess livery in its short career. But BR Maroon has got to the the best :)

Absolutely - a much underrated livery that suited the pacifics very well.

4879579832_151e366157_b.jpg

6233_panorama by Jon Martin, on Flickr

• Like 6

4879579832_151e366157_b.jpg

Irresistible to add that the distortion in this panorama to produce a mega-tender, gives a suggestion of how they might have looked with a tender large enough for a mechanical stoking engine and a bunker for 15-20 tons of coal; to enable the full power capability to be sustained beyond what any fireman could deliver. No need to stop for bankers on Shap or Beattock had that been done. Would have required installation of a few 80' turntables scattered along the WCML.

And it is one snappy livery - when kept this clean.

• Like 2

I've just read the latest Engine Shed and Hornby have confirmed the ledge on the tender won't be there on the final production model and the CADs have been altered to remove it - Hornby also say they couldn't alter the sample in time for Warley. Hope this info was helpful, if not I apologise. 

• RMweb Gold

I've read the same which helped me place my order for Stanier. Now all I have to do is what to do with City of Lancaster, and City of SALFORD. To sell or keep!

On the plus side surely the Royals can't be long for the much needed upgrade.

Absolutely - a much underrated livery that suited the pacifics very well.4879579832_151e366157_b.jpg

It's a pity there's not an 'agree beyond all possible comprehension' button. Postwar LMS black is quite arguably the finest LMS livery of all. Minimalist, stylish and very modern.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Irresistible to add that the distortion in this panorama to produce a mega-tender, gives a suggestion of how they might have looked with a tender large enough for a mechanical stoking engine and a bunker for 15-20 tons of coal; to enable the full power capability to be sustained beyond what any fireman could deliver. No need to stop for bankers on Shap or Beattock had that been done. Would have required installation of a few 80' turntables scattered along the WCML.

Good start, but why stop there? With a mechanical stoker you'll want a gpcs firebox to curb throwing of the small coal amongst its other benefits, which will naturally also require a well tuned exhaust system, say a double Kylpor. After you've stopped laughing over J.T. van Riemsdijk's comments on the class, you'll no doubt agree that Something Must Be Done about the valve events; perhaps British Caprotti gear would serve and also allow the excessive cylinder clearance volume to be reduced.

Then there's A.J. Powell's wishlist, so we'll add arch tubes to support the brick arch, roller bearings throughout, a regulator on the superheated side of the header for better control, higher superheat while we're at it and a power operated water scoop for your tender (which should of course be on bogies).

Such modifications would surely have produced an engine of even more modern, massive and impressive appearance, perhaps with an eight wheel tender, perhaps on bogies.

Quite a nice 'what if' to ponder, especially in 1947 black.

I've read the same which helped me place my order for Stanier. Now all I have to do is what to do with City of Lancaster, and City of SALFORD. To sell or keep!

On the plus side surely the Royals can't be long for the much needed upgrade.

City of Lancaster when it eventually came out was, at that time, pretty well No. 1 on my 00 shopping list.

1/. Not really the shade of red that was wanted.

2/. It chewed up one side of its valve gear.

SELL!! I did!

Such modifications would surely have produced an engine of even more modern, massive and impressive appearance, perhaps with an eight wheel tender, perhaps on bogies.

Quite a nice 'what if' to ponder, especially in 1947 black.

Well the Ivatt pair were originally drawn up with a 12 tonne (I'm sure it was 12) 8 wheeled tender. Looked sort of like a WD tender on steroids

• RMweb Gold

That's the first I've ever heard of that. Where did you get this info from?

I've read that before. To hand is a book entitlted 'The LMS Duchesses', by Douglas Doherty, published 1973. I bought it in a charity shop a month or so ago. Anyway on page 66-67 there is a drawing by John Powell of an Ivatt Duchess with various mods including an 8 wheel tender with a 14 ton coal and 5400 gallon water capacity.

• RMweb Gold

I've read that before. To hand is a book entitlted 'The LMS Duchesses', by Douglas Doherty, published 1973. I bought it in a charity shop a month or so ago. Anyway on page 66-67 there is a drawing by John Powell of an Ivatt Duchess with various mods including an 8 wheel tender with a 14 ton coal and 5400 gallon water capacity.

And, hopefully, a mechanical stoker..............

That's the first I've ever heard of that. Where did you get this info from?

Page 107 of the Pictorial Supplement for the "LMS Locomotive Profiles" on the Duchesses has a drawing of it.

Also a double page drawing on pages 66 and 67 in the book "The LMS Duchesses" shows a slightly different 8 wheeled tender, bascially it looks like an exteneded Stanier tender with 14 tonne and 5400 litre capacity.

• RMweb Premium

I know we're saying the Duchess upgrade was long over due but what about the 8f and Black 5 surely candidates for improvement?

The new black 5 was released in 2002, it's still a pretty good model for its age. The 8F I definitely agree with.

"British Pacific Locomotives" by CJ Allen has an outline drawing of an LMS 4-6-4, based on a general arrangement drawing signed by Stanier in January 1938. The drawing shows streamlining as on the 'Coronations'. The grate area would have been 70 sq. ft. and there would have been mechanical stoking. (There would have to be!) An eight wheeled tender would have been fitted, holding 12 tons of coal and 5000 gallons of water. Interestingly, driving wheels would have been 6ft 6in - same as the 'Princesses', and less than the 6ft 9in of the 'Coronations'.