Bachmann/TMC 22T Double Bolster and Plate Wagons

Garethp8873

I will post again here when these new sheets appear on my web-site.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/

The designs for the transfers to suit the new TMC / Bachmann models of steel-bodied DOUBLE BOLSTER, PLATE & WINKLE wagons are now complete, and I have added four new sheets to my web-site; see https://www.cctrans.org.uk/latest.htm (and refresh your browser if necessary) :-

Sheet BL173a : BR S&T departmental PLATE / WINKLE wagons - LMR allocations. All 28 numbers / allocations, together with all other markings including builders / numberplates.

Sheet BL173b : BR S&T departmental PLATE / WINKLE wagons - ScR allocations. All 15 numbers / allocations, together with all other markings including builders / numberplates.

Sheet BL174 : BR, ex-LNER & ex-LMS steel-bodied 4-wheeled DOUBLE BOLSTER wagons. 36 sets of lettering / numbering covering all diagrams.

Sheet BL175 : BR, ex-LNER & ex-LMS steel-bodied 4-wheeled PLATE wagons. 36 sets of lettering / numbering covering all diagrams.

Now you can purchase as many of these new wagons as you wish, and ensure that no two carry the same number.

Full details, including pricing, ordering and payment can be found via the above link.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2

Would I be correct in thinking a batch of these were used for CWR trains on the LMR John ?

for some reason I am linking DB726xxx numbers with Hookagate CWR depot on the Cambrian line west of Sutton Bridge Jn. 

Sadly this image http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p942588997/h56F30474#h5718ac3c  doesn't appear to be showing any, but I also didn't realise that a Ruston diesel shunter was used there !!!

Edited by Covkid

There were some early LWR trains that used chassis from these wagons:-

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brlongweldrailbolster has lots of photos.

However, nothing above the floor was retained, so you might be better buying the Parkside kit.

PWM654 went new to Hookagate in 1959, but was moved to Newlands (near Malvern, IIRC) in 1964- this may have coincided with regional boundary changes.

Would I be correct in thinking a batch of these were used for CWR trains on the LMR John ?

for some reason I am linking DB726xxx numbers with Hookagate CWR depot on the Cambrian line west of Sutton Bridge Jn. 

Sadly this image http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p942588997/h56F30474#h5718ac3c  doesn't appear to be showing any, but I also didn't realise that a Ruston diesel shunter was used there !!!

As indicated above, the CWR wagons were extensively modified for their new role - I can't imagine that the TMC / Bachmann models would be a viable starting point.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

As indicated above, the CWR wagons were extensively modified for their new role - I can't imagine that the TMC / Bachmann models would be a viable starting point.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

One unusual feature of the CWR wagons was that they were retro-fitted with vacuum-brakes, but with only 4 shoes; other ex-LNER and BR Plates that were fitted received 8-shoe clasp brake-gear. When loaded, these trains were subject to a severe speed restriction, and had to be stopped and examined at frequent intervals to see if the load had shifted. I recollect someone ( 'The Johnster'?) giving an account of working such a train to West Wales from somewhere on the North and West.

What would be a prototypical rake with the bolster wagons? Would they be mixed in with other wagon types or would it be all steel products? Just thinking what to do with them prior to purchase as I don't have much knowledge in this area.

Mark

What would be a prototypical rake with the bolster wagons? Would they be mixed in with other wagon types or would it be all steel products? Just thinking what to do with them prior to purchase as I don't have much knowledge in this area.

Mark

As few or as many as you want as when built there was wagon load traffic and block loads all depending on customer requirements!

Mark

Mark

They didn't just carry steel products, but a wide variety of things: ones that come to mind are stone from the Peak District to build the Thames Barrier, trailers and Land-Rovers for the MoD, agricultural machinery, semi-finished timber. When carrying steel, they'd sometimes work as block trains but,  more often, they'd be found as part of a mixed freight, perhaps taking steel plate to a small shipyard. Whitby received such wagons into the 1970s, and Barnstaple (for Appledore) into the 1980s. 

Unpacked and I am certainly impressed with TMC/Bachmann's new entry to the RTR wagon market. An absolutely excellent wagon :)

Is this the first 4mm. scale RTR wagon produced that has representations of weld fillets in the fabricated drop-sides?

post-2274-0-12736600-1532709060.jpg

Most impressive.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How easy are the coupling boxes to remove, it looks as the whole lot will be removable if the chassis is removed, is it screwed or glued on to the body?

Mike.

Held on with two screws from underneath, looks like the wheels have to come out to get at them, though.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 3 weeks later...

Why?

Mike.

Some of my earliest builds and not up to the standard I set myself these days. I am sure though that they will re-emerge at some time for refurbishment to a better standard.

Bought a pair of bolsters and a plate and decided to have them weathered.

attachicon.gif20180815_145856_resized.jpg

My Parkside ones will now be consigned to storage.

I didn't have many photos of double bolsters - they were mostly converted to Plates early on, retaining the pocket on the solebar over the axlebox. However this is based on https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/e3ba43ac2

Paul

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO got me two of each for my birthday yesterday 

Not sure about the vac pipes though - looking at Paul's photos was it only clasp brake roller bearing wagons that were fitted?

Spare pipes and 3 links a very nice touch too...

Need to get them weathered before I get an inquisition as to why I am making more lovely clean models dirty....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4

Before the motorway network was constructed, facilitating longer distance road movement of rolled, formed and fabricated steel product, there were a great many railserved steel stockholders and fabricators dotted around the country, so that the road transport element  to the end user over the UK's traditionally inadequate roads was kept to a fairly short distance. A block train may have regularly departed the rolling mill location, but at a small site, it might have been only a wagon a week - when they were busy with a 'big' order - dropped off by the local goods.

• Like 1

SWMBO got me two of each for my birthday yesterday 

Not sure about the vac pipes though - looking at Paul's photos was it only clasp brake roller bearing wagons that were fitted?

Spare pipes and 3 links a very nice touch too...

Need to get them weathered before I get an inquisition as to why I am making more lovely clean models dirty....

Phil

All the fitted 22t Plates that I saw had either LNER or BR pattern 8-shoe brakes, and almost always had either roller-bearing or Asthermos axle-boxes.

The air-piped wagons were confined to the role of Reach Wagons, usually based at petroleum terminals, where the train loco couldn't enter the depot itself. I'm pretty certain they remained at the depots, and didn't travel as barrier wagons- underutilised MGR hoppers seemed to fulfil that purpose.

Phil

You didn't mention which concerned you. As mentioned by Brian the Reach wagons were through piped for either/or/and vacuum and air. I know that TMC have used one of my photographs of a reach wagon https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brplatereach  This one I believe https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brplatereach/e31788f5e written for Hunslet Lane but photographed at Grays. Or the olive green one 931873 from a Dave Larkin photo.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You didn't mention which concerned you. As mentioned by Brian the Reach wagons were through piped for either/or/and vacuum and air. I know that TMC have used one of my photographs of a reach wagon https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brplatereach  This one I believe https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brplatereach/e31788f5e written for Hunslet Lane but photographed at Grays. Or the olive green one 931873 from a Dave Larkin photo.

Paul

Thanks Paul - I couldnt see any fitted or even through piped general traffic plate wagons without roller bearings and clasp brakes - agreed re reach wagons - so have TMC/Bachmann taken the pipes and copied them from those? 

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

post-30092-0-44645000-1535740697_thumb.jpgpost-30092-0-85037500-1535740700_thumb.jpgpost-30092-0-92990700-1535740702_thumb.jpgpost-30092-0-14103300-1535740705_thumb.jpgpost-30092-0-91456300-1535740706_thumb.jpgpost-30092-0-44060800-1535740709_thumb.jpgpost-30092-0-01034200-1535740711_thumb.jpg

(Deluxe super smooth dog bone pictured last)

The lads at TMC have been busy making new loads for the plate wagons. Steel sheets, plates, slabs, tubes, H section. Now I'm just about ready to introduce hopefully a few more loads. Iron Pigs, Dog Bone style Iron Pigs in textured finish or smooth finish with deluxe rust effect. A few more shades will be tried such as grey, beige, grey and yellowy rust. And runs of pigs with mixed shades. The 'Dog Bone' style Pigs will probably cost £18 to £22ish per wagon I'm guessing and that should be around 180 pigs. But you can put more or less in. TMC can supply trestles too for carrying larger sheet loads. BUT THIS IS NOT 100% ACCURATE TECHNICALLY, as the wagons need slight modifications if you want to be fussy. Some of the other loads available are quite a bit cheaper for those who have to watch the ££'s, but still really look the part! We will make lower amounts of the most challenging to produce loads.

Edited by How about a Dictator Loco Class?
  • Like 5

Very nice. Pigs would not be loaded in serried ranks, just dropped in via magnet crane in a low jumbled heap. Some would get broken in the process as pig iron is relatively brittle. As the fate of all pig iron is to be re-melted for subsequent use breakages are not an issue.

In terms of traffic origin. The ‘dog bone’ pigs represent machine cast pigs, most of the larger integrated steelworks had pig casting machines by the 1950s. The straight pigs are of the type cast in traditional sand pig beds, more likely to be found at the smaller, purely iron producing plants.

They would be in transit to either steel making plants or iron foundries.

• Like 1

Would it not be better to have the pig iron moulded in plastic?  Would surely work out far cheaper than the £18 to £22/wagon mentioned, albeit with a higher "upfront" cost.  However surely pretty simple moulds that could then turn out sprues of ingots by the hundred.

Or what about liaising with Harburn Hobbies for a "Harburn Hamlet" cast load?  Maybe the master for that (I assume that is what is needed for their castings) could be made from the individual pigs you have?

There is a picture online of a load as Arthur describes.  This was the one I was thinking of, by Andy Kirkham, only just catches part of the wagon:

10419662884_f53b5e11ec_z.jpgAPR 74 06. 45111 Grenadier Guardsman at Holman Bros works Camborne, April 16 1974 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

Another picture shows the pigs on a loading bank and possibly in the Plate wagon behind the peak:

10419699265_38ddd2f05f_z.jpgAPR 74 05. 45111 Grenadier Guardsman at Holman Bros works Camborne, April 16 1974 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

And a different photographer's view of the same location also partly includes some on the loading bank:

https://flic.kr/p/qzNBeV

Hope this helps!

Edited by 26power
  • Like 2

Would it not be better to have the pig iron moulded in plastic?  Would surely work out far cheaper than the £18 to £22/wagon mentioned, albeit with a higher "upfront" cost.  However surely pretty simple moulds that could then turn out sprues of ingots by the hundred.

Or what about liaising with Harburn Hobbies for a "Harburn Hamlet" cast load?  Maybe the master for that (I assume that is what is needed for their castings) could be made from the individual pigs you have?

There is a picture online of a load as Arthur describes.  This was the one I was thinking of, by Andy Kirkham, only just catches part of the wagon:

10419662884_f53b5e11ec_z.jpgAPR 74 06. 45111 Grenadier Guardsman at Holman Bros works Camborne, April 16 1974 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

Another picture shows the pigs on a loading bank and possibly in the Plate wagon behind the peak:

10419699265_38ddd2f05f_z.jpgAPR 74 05. 45111 Grenadier Guardsman at Holman Bros works Camborne, April 16 1974 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

And a different photographer's view of the same location also partly includes some on the loading bank:

https://flic.kr/p/qzNBeV

Hope this helps!

That is very useful as it shows a treble pig. The double dog bone pig was as a result of much research and based on exact dimensions. We had help from somebody with real first hand knowledge of the steel works of that period. But anyone who wants treble pigs making can just contact us. They look way better in the flesh. The painting effect is time consuming and uses multiple shades. These aren't just some one colour vague plastic chunk. I really appreciate the second picture especially. Thank you!

• Like 1