Bachmann/TMC 22T Double Bolster and Plate Wagons

Garethp8873

Very nice. Pigs would not be loaded in serried ranks, just dropped in via magnet crane in a low jumbled heap. Some would get broken in the process as pig iron is relatively brittle. As the fate of all pig iron is to be re-melted for subsequent use breakages are not an issue.

In terms of traffic origin. The ‘dog bone’ pigs represent machine cast pigs, most of the larger integrated steelworks had pig casting machines by the 1950s. The straight pigs are of the type cast in traditional sand pig beds, more likely to be found at the smaller, purely iron producing plants.

They would be in transit to either steel making plants or iron foundries.

The pictures show how you will receive them once posted. Put as pictured they should be cut out with a scalpel. They must not be placed in as one huge neatly ordered interconnected piece as you rightly point out. We will improve them further still. We have made some very pleasing steps forward on the price due to some developments! They won't cost circa £20 anymore thankfully. We want them to look as near total perfection as possible though. Hopefully far far better than any rival version. Thank you all for your input.

Rob

Edited by How about a Dictator Loco Class?
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They didn't just carry steel products, but a wide variety of things: ones that come to mind are stone from the Peak District to build the Thames Barrier, trailers and Land-Rovers for the MoD, agricultural machinery, semi-finished timber. When carrying steel, they'd sometimes work as block trains but,  more often, they'd be found as part of a mixed freight, perhaps taking steel plate to a small shipyard. Whitby received such wagons into the 1970s, and Barnstaple (for Appledore) into the 1980s.

Were these seen on the west of England mainline conveying goods to Plymouth and Cornwall.

Were these seen on the west of England mainline conveying goods to Plymouth and Cornwall.

They certainly worked to the Holman/Compair works near Camborne with pig-iron; there are photos in this thread. Apart from that, I can imagine them being used to deliver steel to the ship-repairers at Falmouth, or to Devonport.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The lads at TMC have been busy making new loads for the plate wagons. Steel sheets, plates, slabs, tubes, H section. TMC can supply trestles too for carrying larger sheet loads. 

Have you more info on these as I can't see them on their website.

attachicon.gifIMG_8493.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_8496.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_8497.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_8498.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_8500.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_8502.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_8504.JPG

(Deluxe super smooth dog bone pictured last)

The lads at TMC have been busy making new loads for the plate wagons. Steel sheets, plates, slabs, tubes, H section. Now I'm just about ready to introduce hopefully a few more loads. Iron Pigs, Dog Bone style Iron Pigs in textured finish or smooth finish with deluxe rust effect. A few more shades will be tried such as grey, beige, grey and yellowy rust. And runs of pigs with mixed shades. The 'Dog Bone' style Pigs will probably cost £18 to £22ish per wagon I'm guessing and that should be around 180 pigs. But you can put more or less in. TMC can supply trestles too for carrying larger sheet loads. BUT THIS IS NOT 100% ACCURATE TECHNICALLY, as the wagons need slight modifications if you want to be fussy. Some of the other loads available are quite a bit cheaper for those who have to watch the ££'s, but still really look the part! We will make lower amounts of the most challenging to produce loads.

Any chance of getting the ingots already weathered from either shapeways or TMC?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Missed replying here, what I was asking for was "Dog Bone style Iron Pigs in smooth finish with deluxe rust effect." So they come ready weathered?

Mark

Just seen them available on TMC site so sorted.

Edited by Sails

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very neat - are you going to share your technique?

I use Lifecolor weathered wood acrylics with two coats of basecoat [713] and then highlights/dry brush with [714] warm wood base. I masked the sides as they are steel and will be treated differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Pre nationalisation double bolsters:

LMS: https://www.themodelcentre.com/38-828Z/

LNER: https://www.themodelcentre.com/38-829Z/

I though they had also done Plate wagons in pre nationalisation liveries, but they don't seem to be listed? 

Rather oddly their own brand wagons are listed under Bachmann, rather than TMC, or similar.  Easiest way to find them seems to be to look under limited editions, here: https://www.themodelcentre.com/limited-editions-OO/?search_query=&page=2&limit=57&sort=alphaasc&category=1320&is_category_page=1

Can anyone confirm that this version is suitable for a big four era layout please. The E number [Eastern] is confusing me to think it's a BR period wagon.

https://www.themodelcentre.com/38-855Z/

• RMweb Gold

Bearing in mind these wagons have cast number plates on the solebar, any ideas on how to renumber one easily.

As is usual with wagons made by Bachmann, the "plate" is just printed and doesn't stand proud of the solebar.

TMC's ad in the December Railway Modeller shows Double Bolster wagons in LMS and LNER liveries but all the Plate wagons are in BR (so far?).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

As is usual with wagons made by Bachmann, the "plate" is just printed and doesn't stand proud of the solebar.

TMC's ad in the December Railway Modeller shows Double Bolster wagons in LMS and LNER liveries but all the Plate wagons are in BR (so far?).

John

Hopefully in the near future we'll see the Plate wagons in LNER and LMS liveries :)

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hopefully in the near future we'll see the Plate wagons in LNER and LMS liveries :)

A good chance as I was told by TMC at Warley this will be an option as they will be doing another run of these. He also said it's possible to remove the bolsters as sometimes they haven't been fixed securely. Obviously doing this you would need to research and change the running number.

I'm currently making some steel loads for mine using I section and Slater's fine chain.

• Like 3

A good chance as I was told by TMC at Warley this will be an option as they will be doing another run of these. He also said it's possible to remove the bolsters as sometimes they haven't been fixed securely. Obviously doing this you would need to research and change the running number.

I'm currently making some steel loads for mine using I section and Slater's fine chain.

I was told the same thing when I purchased some of their wagon loads for mine. Tbh I am not desperate for them as I have other wagons that have to take priority at the moment in time. Just pleasing to know that they are planning to do more of these and hopefully we'll see the Plate wagon in LMS/LNER liveries in their next lot.

But the  bolsters had a pocket on the solebar which requires removal

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

When these were used loaded ,what kind of wagon was used as a barrier wagon by the loco and could an empty bolster wagon be used. A link to a prototype photo would be most welcome.