Bachmann/TMC 22T Double Bolster and Plate Wagons

Garethp8873

When these were used loaded ,what kind of wagon was used as a barrier wagon by the loco and could an empty bolster wagon be used. A link to a prototype photo would be most welcome.

An empty bolster could be used; other possibilities include Lowfits, Conflats or the Flat wagons that were basically a Plate with neither sides or ends (Flat ED?).

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

. Apart from that, I can imagine them being used to deliver steel to the ship-repairers at Falmouth, or to Devonport.

Where was the steel coming from on these trains as I need to know what was the most likely motive power used.

Where was the steel coming from on these trains as I need to know what was the most likely motive power used.

For Plate traffic, you're looking at the Teesside works (South Bank etc), Clydeside (Dalzell) or Scunthorpe (Normanby Park). The wagons would almost certainly arrive in dribs and drabs in mixed freights, worked by whatever locos would normally work goods trains in the area you're modelling; you wouldn't have all the plate to build even a medium-sized ship arrive in one fell swoop. Apart from anything else, you'd have to have lots of stocking area for it, and have to pay a long while before the job was complete.

For Plate traffic, you're looking at the Teesside works (South Bank etc), Clydeside (Dalzell) or Scunthorpe (Normanby Park). The wagons would almost certainly arrive in dribs and drabs in mixed freights, worked by whatever locos would normally work goods trains in the area you're modelling; you wouldn't have all the plate to build even a medium-sized ship arrive in one fell swoop. Apart from anything else, you'd have to have lots of stocking area for it, and have to pay a long while before the job was complete.

There was traffic for Tyneside ship yards handled by TCFD (Tyneside Central Freight Depot) and the staff there could predict that a ship was coming close to completion by the loads arriving for transhipment to road.

• 6 months later...
On 03/11/2018 at 10:21, gwrrob said:

A few more. It always looks slightly different under the layouts lighting.

post-126-0-88872900-1541240379_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-50748600-1541240394_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-52244400-1541240407_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-49901900-1541240422_thumb.jpg

I'm really impressed with your weathering here. You have made a great job of this wagon. The interior effect looks so realistic.

I'd love to have seen a step by step guide as to how you achieve that look. Well done.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I used Lifecolor acrylics on the wagon. Start with a base coat of 713 Warm Dark Shade and then drybrush over the floor with 714 Warm Wood Base, 716 Warm Wood Light and 717 Cool Wood Base. The quality of the Bachmann model makes the job easy.

Here they are in use in the train with added loads on my layout.

1242106219_DSCN5784(2).JPG.34a00e9e7678800b7e60660044b4ba9d.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 year later...
On 20/08/2018 at 23:36, Fat Controller said:

All the fitted 22t Plates that I saw had either LNER or BR pattern 8-shoe brakes, and almost always had either roller-bearing or Asthermos axle-boxes.

The air-piped wagons were confined to the role of Reach Wagons, usually based at petroleum terminals, where the train loco couldn't enter the depot itself. I'm pretty certain they remained at the depots, and didn't travel as barrier wagons- underutilised MGR hoppers seemed to fulfil that purpose.

The air-piped olive green version B931873 (TMC/Bachmann 38-853Z) is branded as a Barrier rather than a Reach wagon.

It is also branded 'Return To', suggesting that it wasn't confined to a depot, so might this wagon have been allocated to a specific traffic or was it a general Barrier wagon?

Thanks for any assistance.

Chris

On 04/11/2020 at 11:18, warringtonbankquay said:

The air-piped olive green version B931873 (TMC/Bachmann 38-853Z) is branded as a Barrier rather than a Reach wagon.

It is also branded 'Return To', suggesting that it wasn't confined to a depot, so might this wagon have been allocated to a specific traffic or was it a general Barrier wagon?

Chris

Hello Chris, 

Our research showed that 41 Plate wagons were converted to Barrier Wagons in 1967 and lasted in operation until the early 1980’s. They were painted Olive Green despite not being part of the Departmental Wagon fleet and were, as far as we can ascertain not allocated to a specific working. They were used to act as general barrier wagons on inflammable or dangerous loads. The photograph used for the artwork of B931873 was taken at Hoo Junction.

All the best,

• 2 months later...
On 31/08/2018 at 19:50, How about a Dictator Loco Class? said:

post-30092-0-44645000-1535740697_thumb.jpgpost-30092-0-85037500-1535740700_thumb.jpgpost-30092-0-92990700-1535740702_thumb.jpgpost-30092-0-14103300-1535740705_thumb.jpgpost-30092-0-91456300-1535740706_thumb.jpgpost-30092-0-44060800-1535740709_thumb.jpgpost-30092-0-01034200-1535740711_thumb.jpg

(Deluxe super smooth dog bone pictured last)

The lads at TMC have been busy making new loads for the plate wagons. Steel sheets, plates, slabs, tubes, H section. Now I'm just about ready to introduce hopefully a few more loads. Iron Pigs, Dog Bone style Iron Pigs in textured finish or smooth finish with deluxe rust effect. A few more shades will be tried such as grey, beige, grey and yellowy rust. And runs of pigs with mixed shades. The 'Dog Bone' style Pigs will probably cost £18 to £22ish per wagon I'm guessing and that should be around 180 pigs. But you can put more or less in. TMC can supply trestles too for carrying larger sheet loads. BUT THIS IS NOT 100% ACCURATE TECHNICALLY, as the wagons need slight modifications if you want to be fussy. Some of the other loads available are quite a bit cheaper for those who have to watch the ££'s, but still really look the part! We will make lower amounts of the most challenging to produce loads.

I can't seem to find the pig iron loads on the TMC web site, is it not available any more?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi, can anyone tell us which era The Model Centre’s Bachmann Bolster wagon shown below would be suitable for. Thanks Fred 

38-830Z Bachmann OO Gauge Double Bolster Wagon Olive Green/Freight Grey Livery DE250482 

olive green makes it after mid 1963 but there appears to be a date on the solebar. Ask TMC?

Paul

On 21/01/2021 at 11:14, Fredo said:

Hi, can anyone tell us which era The Model Centre’s Bachmann Bolster wagon shown below would be suitable for. Thanks Fred 

38-830Z Bachmann OO Gauge Double Bolster Wagon Olive Green/Freight Grey Livery DE250482 

Hello,

The photograph on which the artwork for DE250482 was based was taken in January 1970. The wagon was certainly well weather worn by this date so we believe it had been in this livery for some time. When photographed it was part of a rake of wagons all carrying the same livery; the wagons originating from LMS, LNER and BR diagrams. I hope this helps.  

All the best,

2 hours ago, tmc said:

Hello, I have added these back one. We're expecting more stock soon.

https://www.themodelcentre.com/pwl3-dog-bone-pig-iron-loads-for-plate-wagons-approx-180-pcs-per-pack-weathered-crafted-by-tmc

All the best,

On 02/09/2018 at 23:08, How about a Dictator Loco Class? said:

That is very useful as it shows a treble pig. The double dog bone pig was as a result of much research and based on exact dimensions. We had help from somebody with real first hand knowledge of the steel works of that period. But anyone who wants treble pigs making can just contact us. They look way better in the flesh. The painting effect is time consuming and uses multiple shades. These aren't just some one colour vague plastic chunk. I really appreciate the second picture especially. Thank you!

Thanks for the reply, good to see these will be back in stock soon, are the treble pigs also becoming available?

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/08/2018 at 23:36, Fat Controller said:

All the fitted 22t Plates that I saw had either LNER or BR pattern 8-shoe brakes, and almost always had either roller-bearing or Asthermos axle-boxes.

The air-piped wagons were confined to the role of Reach Wagons, usually based at petroleum terminals, where the train loco couldn't enter the depot itself. I'm pretty certain they remained at the depots, and didn't travel as barrier wagons- underutilised MGR hoppers seemed to fulfil that purpose.

On 21/08/2018 at 17:07, hmrspaul said:

You didn't mention which concerned you. As mentioned by Brian the Reach wagons were through piped for either/or/and vacuum and air. I know that TMC have used one of my photographs of a reach wagon https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brplatereach  This one I believe https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brplatereach/e31788f5e written for Hunslet Lane but photographed at Grays. Or the olive green one 931873 from a Dave Larkin photo.

Paul

On 04/11/2020 at 11:18, warringtonbankquay said:

Chris

On 05/11/2020 at 14:17, tmc said:

Hello Chris, 

Our research showed that 41 Plate wagons were converted to Barrier Wagons in 1967 and lasted in operation until the early 1980’s. They were painted Olive Green despite not being part of the Departmental Wagon fleet and were, as far as we can ascertain not allocated to a specific working. They were used to act as general barrier wagons on inflammable or dangerous loads. The photograph used for the artwork of B931873 was taken at Hoo Junction.
All the best,

The only reach wagons I can think of were a pair based at Tipton Gas which was on the Up side of the Stour Valley line between Wolverhampton and Birmingham. They were used for berthing the tanks in the West Midlands Gas facility prior to decommissioning.  Not sure what colour they were.  My memory is not so strong with the Albion oil sidings and whether they had reach wagons in the late 1970s and very early 1980s.

Edited by Covkid
Correction
  • Informative/Useful 1

Today I purchased the current British Railways Illustrated Vol 30 No5 February 2021 mostly because of an article about Brymbo steelworks and the connection.  As with many topics these days the photos were all black & white mostly covering trip workings from Croes Newydd to the steelworks with the likes of 24063 and 25188 tripping and shunting.  Several plate wagons visible but couldn't identify whether they were BR or LNER / LMS design. 

Just had a parcel arrive today from TMC with two double packs of Plate wagons. I opted for a pair of grey Plate wagons and the special offer pair of deluxe weathered plate ex double bolsters for a reduced price.  Very pleased with these andwill probably purchase more in due course.

Thanks for the prompt service TMC   

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'd be grateful if someone could measure the length over buffers of the plate wagon for me. I need to know how many Rapido N-gauge Conflat Ps I can fit in on my layout! Don't bother to convert the measurement to N or I'll end up ordering twice as many as I need!

Thanks in anticipation