Jimmy’s workbench

SALTY

That's looking tidy. The one that ran away from Waverly. I remember going past it into Edinburgh at Portobello the day it got cut up with my Dad, it was pretty much complete on the way into Edinburgh and as good as gone when we came South later on.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Where did you obtain the axleboxes /spring units, please, I could do with similar. Thanks in anticipation.

They are on the parkside Grampus spruce. So had a set spare from a kit.

They are a good fit. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SALTY said:

They are on the parkside Grampus spruce. So had a set spare from a kit.

They are a good fit. 

I might have some of those left, I'll have crawl about in the loft and have a look - thanks! Good idea/advice BTW!

BTW, did you do ALL the painting on the Class 37 in a week? If so, amazing work! In a spray booth I presume (at this time of year)?

Kind regards,

CME

55 minutes ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

I might have some of those left, I'll have crawl about in the loft and have a look - thanks! Good idea/advice BTW!

BTW, did you do ALL the painting on the Class 37 in a week? If so, amazing work! In a spray booth I presume (at this time of year)?

Kind regards,

CME

No worries, glad to help. It was a week To fully do the 37. I painted it in the garage, but it’s heated so doesn’t get too cold. Wasn’t the easiest livery to do my first full

loco paint on!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 hours ago, 37114 said:

Looks great, where did you get the buffers from please? I bought a kit built one which had roller bearings already so am doing the same conversion.

The buffers were from slaters as used in there kits. I believe you can buy them separately. 

Cheers

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Picked this conversion kit at the weekend. Never heard of it before but it’s for the big big mk2’s of 1982 vintage. The kit converts four carriages to a mk2a tso and bsk, plus mk2b fk and tso.

so the sides look scale and I’ll give it a try. 

904887AE-9B82-49F4-ADB6-73F7422DC5A3.jpeg

10C38879-B174-42C9-AC8D-F274B8F1B84C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I've seen plenty of cut and shuts but not the overlays of the later types. Any idea of the provenance just out of interest?

Hi believe it’s s post war Prototype conversion kit. I’d never heard of this kit before but it seems pretty good.

• Thanks 1

I had a look at one of the mk2’s today, this actually looks like a decent kit at first viewing. I’m sort of making assembly up as I go along but the method I adopted was cut the coach in half, then Cut out the The part under the cantrail leaving just the ends. I glued plastic strip on the edge on the etch then glued into position.  The instructions advise to use wood as the frame but how you get internal access to the coach if you do that is beyond me. So I will utilise part of the triang chassis but in a way that it can be removed. Here’s how far I got this aft. I think scale wheels will give me the correct ride height. Compared to a modified skytrex mk1 it looks to measure up correctly.

1ED6A9C3-8AA3-4B46-9FF8-B6FAEB5B2922.jpeg

77233BC0-82CB-48D8-8465-1DD3CAA201A3.jpeg

117942B4-B1BC-4231-8A79-0ADFD57EAA7F.jpeg

6C58A72E-7752-40AE-807C-A12244EC7293.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, jcarta said:

James

Looking good.... If you use wood for the flooring, can't you use the original screw fixings from the old chassis?

Jim

Hi jim

unfortunately not as I’d like to fit an interior. The side roll on the etches means that to make the chassis removable it’d have to be rather narrow, once if assemble a full coach I will look at various methods but I’m thinking some form of underside support.