Jimmy’s workbench

SALTY

Hi All

Could do with some advice please,

I've spent a considerable time off modelling and spent the past few years concentrating on 80's hot hatch classic car restoration.

Anyway always fancied doing some 7mm modelling as I do find the intricate details in 4mm a tad too fiddly. Therefore due to cost implications I thought it might be best to start on converting a Lima 33 to a 27 using the PR Model Railway Products kit.

Looking at a few of threads on here I can see a quite nice model can be made, however I am unsure if everything I need is included in the kit? I was thinking of getting the basic kit with a view to getting a motor at a later date.

Also will be looking for a donor 7mm Lima 33

Any help greatly appreciated

Regards

James

Edited by SALTY
Matured modelling

Welcome to 0 gauge modelling. The Gauge 0 Guild website has a stock list for the Executers and Trustees Service (sells stock for the estates of members who have died) Lima locos do come up on there fairly regularly. There isn't one at present, but there is a Triang BigBig Hymec  at £35. It could be worth keeping an eye on the stock list as it gets updated from time to time as more stock is valued. eBay may be your easiest source of a lima 33 in the short term.

Best regards

DaveC

Welcome to 0 gauge modelling. The Gauge 0 Guild website has a stock list for the Executers and Trustees Service (sells stock for the estates of members who have died) Lima locos do come up on there fairly regularly. There isn't one at present, but there is a Triang BigBig Hymec  at £35. It could be worth keeping an eye on the stock list as it gets updated from time to time as more stock is valued. eBay may be your easiest source of a lima 33 in the short term.

Best regards

DaveC

Hi Dave

Hadn't thought about the hymek but will give that a gander after looking at a few converted models on here and it seems a really nice model can be created.

Regards

James

Hi Dave

Hadn't thought about the hymek but will give that a gander after looking at a few converted models on here and it seems a really nice model can be created.

Regards

James

James,

I have 3 'unused' LIMA Class 33 0 gauge models looking for a new home. PM me if you wish.

Paul

Hi James

With a bit of work the Triang Hymek can be made into a nice model, with mine I deviated from the PRMRP instructions by making a separate chassis and I sourced parts from quite a few other suppliers but it cost around £300 to build and that included one of Mr Chetters' excellent sound chips.

Rob

post-20087-0-48850800-1480460149.jpg

post-20087-0-79046800-1480460190.jpg

• Like 6

Rob that hymek looks very impressive. I can't believe that originally started as a toy train! How much of the original triang model do you actually need? Reason I ask is the odd shell appears on eBay and if that's all that's needed I might as well pick up one of them.

Regards

James

• RMweb Gold

James, the PRMRP kit only uses the body, cab roof/windows and loco roof, so yes a bodyshell with roof is all you need. I'm currently starting a lighter conversion for Fourgig East keeping the bogies and motor, adding metal wheels and detailing/painting. I might not even move the roof fan if I can't find a suitable cost effective replacement ;)

Rob that hymek looks very impressive. I can't believe that originally started as a toy train! How much of the original triang model do you actually need? Reason I ask is the odd shell appears on eBay and if that's all that's needed I might as well pick up one of them.

Regards

James

Thanks James, as pointed out you only need the body, the last one I bought off eBay was only £6 so it can help keep the cost down by not buying a complete loco, Ive done 2 of these conversions now and have another body shell and a load of bits to do a third, there quite labour intensive compared to building a kit but well worth the effort.

Rob

post-1849-0-83536200-1481659140_thumb.jpgpost-1849-0-35126700-1481659159_thumb.jpgpost-1849-0-63856300-1481659182_thumb.jpg

Well a late ebay purchase and an Easy-Build bogie arrived

just did a little mock up and the difference between the Lima original and the replacement is quite noticeable.

Plan for this coach is re bogie, screw link coupling, flush glaze and then probably a repaint in blue/grey

Is there any possible mods apart from overlays on the lima coaches to make different mark 1 types? as with having three ck's and a bck there is a little too much first class seats in a four car rake.

cheers

James

• Like 1

attachicon.gif15570988_10154146058435060_389241365_n.jpgattachicon.gif15571164_10154146637115060_623812780_n.jpgattachicon.gif15571155_10154146637365060_989850983_n.jpgIs there any possible mods apart from overlays on the lima coaches to make different mark 1 types? as with having three ck's and a bck there is a little too much first class seats in a four car rake.

One option is to do cut-and-shut surgery on the coaches. The most common modification is to turn two BSKs into an SK and a BG. I did several of these back in my 7mm days, along with a more ambitious RMB, a BCK and an FO. The Lima plastic is so thick that there is plenty of material to make a very strong bond on reassembling the component parts. The key is to cut carefully and ensure that all new joints are truly vertical and carefully aligned, to minimise the need for filling and sanding.

Love the Warship! I suspect it will tower over the slightly underscale Lima Mark 1s, so you may want to increase the ride height of the coaches on their new B1 bogies. Looking forward to following your progress with this project.

David

• Like 2

One option is to do cut-and-shut surgery on the coaches. The most common modification is to turn two BSKs into an SK and a BG. I did several of these back in my 7mm days, along with a more ambitious RMB, a BCK and an FO. The Lima plastic is so thick that there is plenty of material to make a very strong bond on reassembling the component parts. The key is to cut carefully and ensure that all new joints are truly vertical and carefully aligned, to minimise the need for filling and sanding.

Love the Warship! I suspect it will tower over the slightly underscale Lima Mark 1s, so you may want to increase the ride height of the coaches on their new B1 bogies. Looking forward to following your progress with this project.

David

Hi David

Cheers for the kind comments

Do you have any pictures of your work on the Lima coaches?

James

Hi James

I've checked and I don't have any photos here, but there is a stash of pictures of my old O Gauge railway at my parents' house (unless they've had a clear out recently). I'm going to be seeing them on Christmas Eve, so I will see what I can dig out. My dad still uses the coaches from time to time on his garden railway, so he may have some photos too (although he has repainted them from my original blue and grey into 1960s maroon and green to run with his own WR hydraulics).

David

• Like 1

Well I suppose I might as well get back to why I started this thread and that was to convert a lima 33 into a decent O gauge model

So thanks to Lord Flashheart Ive now purchased a conversion kit

So first stage has been to clean up a few of the castings and start assembling one of the bogies, no idea how your supposed to mount the brake rigging but so far so good!

post-1849-0-82098000-1482356389_thumb.jpg

post-1849-0-89220100-1482356402_thumb.jpg

post-1849-0-74524400-1482356415_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Having a few problems, have assembled the motor bogie but the problem I can see is the axels won't fit within the bogie castings? The axels are too long, how do you get around this? Do you trim the excess of the axels off or drill out behind the axel boxes?

post-1849-0-87990000-1482440499_thumb.jpg

Cheers, chopped them down as suggested so have one bogie finished just frame of motor bogie to do and both bogies complete.

Have tested motor and it's a nice runner, needs fitting to the frame to run in properly but seems ok.

post-1849-0-21745600-1482524031_thumb.jpg

post-1849-0-25114500-1482524055_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Taking advantage of the hols so picked up the triang hymek and decided to remove all the unwanted bits and fill in the side panels, all the old battery compartment has also been removed as well as buffer beams, milder handraiks etc. Quite a fiddly job, hopefully I will sort a conversion kit out for it in the new year.

post-1849-0-99729600-1482601371_thumb.jpg

post-1849-0-15951600-1482601390_thumb.jpg

post-1849-0-19495100-1482601413_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Made it into primer - can view any imperfections better now

Thanks for the great pictures Salty, I'll be following the Hymek conversion with interest.

I'd like to do one myself when all the other locos, wagons and layout are done!

Duncan