Scratch built railcars

fletchj1

This the first time I have tried to post to RMWeb.    I hope it has worked OK!.

I made these two cars based on available diagrams & photos so I can not be sure of dimensional accuracy.

I made the cars from Evergreen plastic, glued and filed to shape with brass under frames and home made bogies.  Drive on each car is from a motor located below the guard's compartment driving one axle on each bogie by means of home made gearboxes.   Donor coaches and bogies are not readily available over here in Canada.

post-16342-0-47692800-1480211869_thumb.jpg

post-16342-0-69914100-1480211885_thumb.jpg

post-16342-0-31751100-1480211901_thumb.jpg

post-16342-0-38185400-1480212054_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

NIRCLASS80

Yours look a lot cleaner and shinier than the prototypes I see here each day.

There is a VIA train sitting rusting away in a 'park' and I am in a group trying to preserve it and eventually move it to some place under cover.

post-16342-0-01109900-1480298688.jpg

• Like 3

Kirley,

Thank you.

And to think -  My cars wouldn't look completely out of place running on Colm's Bleach Green viaduct layout.

I think my next 'project' will be a brown van or two for a railcar to pull as that would be prototypical.   I think I would copy your idea of using a Parkside Dundas wagon as an underframe.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one, must have been pretty scary driving one of those things in reverse. The view from the 'conning tower' would have been limited to say the least. Here are two of my versions - in 7mm scale. They are Sligo, Leitrim & Northern Counties Railway Railcar B & Railbus 2a - also scratch built. Check out Arigna Town on RMWeb and irishrailwaymodeller.com for more pictures and info if you are interested.

post-25580-0-49060500-1482081364_thumb.jpgpost-25580-0-57291300-1482081366_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I am very impressed with your Arigna town layout.    I have a particular weakness for old rail cars.    I have also made my own versions of GNR(I) rail car A and SLNCR rail car B,  a CIE heating van (tin van) and a Wickham inspection car.   I made an MED using etchings.   I certainly would like to make a rail bus like yours.  

Re driving No4:-   It certainly must have been extremely claustrophobic in those turret cabs.   I imagine there would have been another individual down on the ground guiding any reverse moves.   Another window on the other side of the turret (over the roof) would certainly have helped visibility. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Glover,

I made the railcar 'A' basically the same way as I did the 1 & 4 railcars in this thread.   Plastic (Evergreen) body with a simple under frame made from brass strips.  I didn't have any convenient existing coach body to 'cannibalise'  I actually made it several years ago and it has been stored away.

It is powered by a small Mashima can motor under the floor, driving two axles on one of the bogies.   I made the small gearbox and the bogie sides myself in brass as I couldn't find anything suitable commercial. 

I have attached a picture of what it looks like underneath.

Regards,

Jeremy.

post-16342-0-06494400-1496523911_thumb.jpg

• Like 4