January Hornby magazine and Hornby catalogue

DougN

After watching the Hornby announcements at warley. There was a tie up with the Hornby magazine. Now they announced a 9.99GBP for a magazine and the latest catalogue. This raises a issue with me as a regular subscriber I wonder if I will get an offer for the catalogue to come gratis or for a small additional charge. As I am a overseas subscriber I feel at times overlooked when these offers come out.

What are other people's view of the new tie up which is to last 4 or 5 years?

Subscribers are invariably overlooked on occasions like these.  They don't have to do anything extra to get your money!

It'd be a nice surprise if my January Hornby subscription copy thudded through the letterbox with the 2017 catalogue bagged with it, though given the added thickness, I suspect it will either be left on the step or there will be doorbell action.....

After watching the Hornby announcements at warley. There was a tie up with the Hornby magazine. Now they announced a 9.99GBP for a magazine and the latest catalogue. This raises a issue with me as a regular subscriber I wonder if I will get an offer for the catalogue to come gratis or for a small additional charge. As I am a overseas subscriber I feel at times overlooked when these offers come out.

What are other people's view of the new tie up which is to last 4 or 5 years?

Depends how desperate you are for a publication that is typically out of date within a couple of months of its publication. Noticed Hornby are asking if anyone wants a retrospective 2016 catalogue; it would be an idea if they did a retrospective for each year on what had actually been released and with proper photos rather than the web graphics they use.  

I suspect that, from the price, what is actually being offered here is a free Hornby magazine with the Hornby catalogue.  Hornby (model company) will be using Hornby's (Magazine) distribution arrangements to get increased visibility in high street newsagents.

Roddy

Depends how desperate you are for a publication that is typically out of date within a couple of months of its publication. Noticed Hornby are asking if anyone wants a retrospective 2016 catalogue; it would be an idea if they did a retrospective for each year on what had actually been released and with proper photos rather than the web graphics they use.  

Your right Butler... it is a nice to have item. The topic is more on the sending out the Catalogue with the Hornby mag. I have been thinking over night. as the December issue is already out in the UK. (OK I have never really understood that in the UK the mag for the month comes out in the proceeding month generally) The catalogue must be coming with the "February" issue otherwise it will be out next month.  

I have done a quick check on the Hornby Mag website which probably needs to be updated now. 

I would like to think that Key publishing would inform the subscribers of any possibility of having the catalogue included in the post out. This could be an email requesting another 7.99 (for UK) and it would be higher for us over seas. This would be both sensible from the business point of view as they will charge the full amount of 7.99 and the subscription cost! I doubt they would offer it for the 2Quid extra over for buying in a W&H's any way we will see.

Have to agree with Kiwi, the digital subscribers do seem to miss out a fair bit for the cost of the digital subscription compared to the standard printed version. This is part of the reason I don't subscribe to BRM or others via digital as the cost seems high for what you get!

I was at Warley yesterday and in a short while was given a free copy of Hornby magazine, a free copy of the Grafar brochure and a free copy of the new modellng magazine. On top of that I picked up a discounted copy of the latest Rail Express with free calendar and ended up with a heavyweight bag of reading material to carry home.

G

• RMweb Gold

Excellent idea.

Maybe they could do it as a "round up of the year" section in the next catalogue which would make it a document of record and, for me, provide a reason for buying it.

I don't find the recent catalogue format with all the side-on CGI images to be attractive, relevant or informative and haven't bought one since 2012.

Nowadays, I just keep track of new announcements and releases on-line.

John

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm that Hornby Magazine are aware of the issue regarding the catalogue with respect to exisiting subscribers both printed and digital and there will be a solution offered to enable them to obtain the Hornby catalogue accordingly.

Thanks Graham,  this is good news. 

We will have to wait and see what the email holds when it gets out to the subscribers. I must admit that Hornby Mag have been great as a subscriber over seas over the years. I even managed to resolve the Stove R issue when it didn't come up as an option for over seas....thinking about it I have not seen the coach for a while I wonder where it is! 

This post is really about the December 2016 issue but related to the above in that it is still heavily promoting the 'old' Hornby 2016 Handbook which, as we all now know, has items listed in it that were removed for production schedules, but also the B12 Reality Check article on p66 by Evan Green-Hughes is to all intents and purposes the same as his article in that aforementioned Hornby Handbook, but with a few words added or re-ordered, and also shares several photographs.

I hope that the tie-up between Hornby and the eponymous magazine does not result in the same copy appearing in several different places as that is unlikely to win friends, especially those who've paid for content.

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm that Hornby Magazine are aware of the issue regarding the catalogue with respect to exisiting subscribers both printed and digital and there will be a solution offered to enable them to obtain the Hornby catalogue accordingly.

Also those who pay a fortune to get it sent to other countries?

• RMweb Premium

Is the catalogue packaged with the Jsnuary edition which is available in December ( next week probably)or do they mean the Feb edition available Jsn . Confused because Hornby y seemingly announcing rest of 2017 range in January , so catalogue would predate that if available with Jsn edition

• RMweb Premium

Is the catalogue packaged with the Jsnuary edition which is available in December ( next week probably)or do they mean the Feb edition available Jsn . Confused because Hornby y seemingly announcing rest of 2017 range in January , so catalogue would predate that if available with Jsn edition

Richard said on the Hornby announcement video from warley that the catalogue would be available in Jan with the 116th edition of Hornby Mag. This makes it the Feb issue.

Good grief! Hornby have made a mess of things during the last couple of Years, but credit where it's due, they now seem to be making some decent decisions to make amends. Re introducing the catalogue for those that asked for it is a good decision surely? If you pick the Hornby mag up with the catalogue happy days, if you don't want it don't buy it. Pages and pages of unnecessary moaning on every subject.

• 2 weeks later...

head researcher Mr Isles seems to have an handle on more joined up thinking stating in the mag they were considering a new overhead electric for a while and it was toss up between the Class 91 and the Class 87 but the 87 won out as it fits with their existing range of Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3 stock plus all the variations and liveries......

head researcher Mr Isles seems to have an handle on more joined up thinking stating in the mag they were considering a new overhead electric for a while and it was toss up between the Class 91 and the Class 87 but the 87 won out as it fits with their existing range of Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3 stock plus all the variations and liveries......

hopefully the Class 91 might follow on in the not too distant future too then

Without going off topic regarding the class 87/91 toss up, if a new 91 were made it would require at least a new MK4 DVT and ideally Mk4 coaches to so it's a much more expenisve proposition to make. 

But having said that if Hornby want to maintain their market share ... the Mark 4s would look quite ripe for another manufacturer producing so if they dont update them then someone else might. If anything I'd say they look older and more out of date than the Mk3s that Oxford are doing (albeit with less liveries to produce and more restricted area of use)

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a look at the Hornby Magazine site...

A full preview to Hornby’s 2017 catalogue features in HM116 – on sale from Thursday January 12 2017.

Plus a special offer will be available at WH Smiths High Street and Travel stores to purchase both HM116 and the 2017 Hornby catalogue together for £9.90 – a saving of £2.49 over the full price.

(My Bold....)

So.

It looks like the combined offer is ONLY at WH Smith Branches, in Transport Locations (Railway Stations etc?) and High Street Locations.

So, no on-line offer?

• RMweb Premium

Just had a look at the Hornby Magazine site...

(My Bold....)

So.

It looks like the combined offer is ONLY at WH Smith Branches, in Transport Locations (Railway Stations etc?) and High Street Locations.

So, no on-line offer?

They did say the Would look at options for digital subscribers.

Again missing the subscribers who have their mags posted to them? I would hope that they see this as a encouragement/ thank you to the regular subscribers who have put the money up front!

I guess I will wait and see what happens.... brick bats or bouquets ???

Archived