Pontefract Model Railway Exhibition 28-29 January 2017

Koyli

Norman, just make sure your measuring tape is compatable with exhibitors' and traders' measuring tapes.  They do have a habit of differing on occasion :smile_mini2:

That's very true, next year we may leave the tape at home and bring a yardstick, at least we will have something to hit them with when an eight foot layout needs 20 foot of operating space.

That's very true, next year we may leave the tape at home and bring a yardstick, at least we will have something to hit them with when an eight foot layout needs 20 foot of operating space.

Might need the space for the sofa like one layout had at Wakefield. It's not as bad as car enthusiast with chairs tables and candelabra!

• RMweb Premium

I was unexpectedly able to visit the Pontefract show today as a family call took me up the M1 and it was only another 45 mins to get there. Surprisingly I was able to park in the College and join the lineup to get in before 10am.  It must be 20 years or more  since I'd been to this show, I think it was still in Normanton then!

The Gauge 0 layouts were the attraction for me,  with Marske, Craster and Ridsdale Town there [not operational when I saw it owing to electrical problems). But the standout for me was Thorn Hill Colliery, one I'd not seen before, as its exhibited from Scotland, though based on a West Yorkshire colliery.

post-14654-0-80269100-1485636023_thumb.jpg

Fine layouts in other scales too! Several with a Scottish theme.  Grosmont Books have an excellent choice of rare industrial railway books so I got seriously weighed down with a couple [at a discount]. It was also good to finally meet the NER Days stand where I bought an NER brakevan kit.

Digitrains had the new Class 15 from Little Loco Co. which looked excellently detailed at the underframe/bogie level, as well as higher up.

This was a friendly show in a good venue, the College, though Hall 2 is a bit of a trek.

Recommended if you're in the area tomorrow, if its this good next year I'll aim to go back, especially since there is more Gauge 0 than the Wakefield show generally has.

Dava

the range of traders is good at Ponte for picking up my bits & bobs

we do try to have a range of different scales and gauges to please everybody at wakefield, as a 7mm'er myself i too have a slight bias towards o gauge layouts, and its nice too to be able to get out and see some o gauge other than Midland

• RMweb Premium

Nice to meet some RMwebbers and other visitors yesterday. A few more people had a go at weathering. Getting ready for day 2. Hope to see some more of you today.

Baz

Guest Q663368

Looking forward to the show, we will be there with 'Craster'.RegardsChrisattachicon.gifCraster 1mb.jpg

Nice pic Chris, but I would much prefer one of the locomotive sitting behind it - hee! hee! "........

Regards

Many, many thanks from Meopham East Junction layout to, in no particular order, the volunteer operators, some first time, the members of the Pontefract club, the exhibition organisers and the staff of the school.

The layout ran within acceptable parameters which was more than could be said for me. Many questions were answered, some old and some new.

Here's looking forward to the next time.

John Wass. East Riding Finescale Group. 

I was unexpectedly able to visit the Pontefract show today as a family call took me up the M1 and it was only another 45 mins to get there. Surprisingly I was able to park in the College and join the lineup to get in before 10am.  It must be 20 years or more  since I'd been to this show, I think it was still in Normanton then!

The Gauge 0 layouts were the attraction for me,  with Marske, Craster and Ridsdale Town there [not operational when I saw it owing to electrical problems). But the standout for me was Thorn Hill Colliery, one I'd not seen before, as its exhibited from Scotland, though based on a West Yorkshire colliery.

attachicon.gifThornhill Colly.jpg

Fine layouts in other scales too! Several with a Scottish theme.  Grosmont Books have an excellent choice of rare industrial railway books so I got seriously weighed down with a couple [at a discount]. It was also good to finally meet the NER Days stand where I bought an NER brakevan kit.

Digitrains had the new Class 15 from Little Loco Co. which looked excellently detailed at the underframe/bogie level, as well as higher up.

This was a friendly show in a good venue, the College, though Hall 2 is a bit of a trek.

Recommended if you're in the area tomorrow, if its this good next year I'll aim to go back, especially since there is more Gauge 0 than the Wakefield show generally has.

Dava

For your info Thorne Hill won the best layout in show :-) 

Yes hall 2 is a bit of a trek but once there you could have a tea/coffee & cake in the cafe! ;-) By the way the trek used to be outside... :-O

Archived