Realtrack Class 156

charliepetty

I wonder if there might be a chance of one being done with a view to supporting the RAF Benevolent Fund?

Would agree - be a very nice model, particularly on Realtracks exceptionally detailed 156.  Although "very dated" in comparison - Hornby I believe did provide 2 models in the livery, so they must have the art work......maybe it will appear from them.....

Whilst on the subject of 156's -  regarding the EMT 156's - they are now going for PRM mods and 1st one is out - Deafening alarms when doors open/close, LED destination screens vice blinds, larger toilet etc.!

Regards,

C.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question following the e-mail update, how do I convert my order (#47) to one with sound, do I need to delete the order and re-order or will the upgrade option be added to the pending order page?

You just order the sound option (£30.00 Deposit) and add the original order details in the Comments/Nortes on the checkout.    (I understand it!!!!!!!)  Charlie

• RMweb Premium

Hi Charlie

Slightly odd question - I’ve got different running numbered models ordered. Is it possible to get them all fitted with the same doc sound file (Liverpool - Norwich) to suit my layout?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Just found a whole bunch of pictures of the class 156's despatched by road to Muir of Ord in 1989 following the Ness Bridge collapse.

Scotrail wanted to ensure the line survived, and maintained the class 37 service and brought Sprinters by road from Inverness to introduce the service as planned.

These pictures were taken at the time of the bridge's reopening, the reason for our trip, 2019 is 20 years since Sprinterisation of the highlands, completed on time despite the extreme circumstances.

Some of the Sprinters were had considerable work at Inverness shed, as this picture shows.

NSE livered stock was also in Inverness during this visit !

exciting times, but it wasnt all Sprinters, especially when snow unexpectedly arrives...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
On 06/09/2018 at 10:34, GordonC said:

Were many of the 156s missing set numbers on the end? I'd never noticed any like that before then there's 2 side by side in a photo there!

All the far north ones didn’t have set numbers initially, their final preparations were done at Inverness, it was all a bit of a rush. They were taken by road to Muir of Ord where a temporary servicing point had been established until the bridge was rebuilt. Set numbers were added after the bridge reopened when they returned to Inverness (which would probably be done within a few weeks after my pictures were taken, so about 9-12 months running like that).

The 156’s were roaded in, and the 37’s/mk2’s were taken the other way. I understand at least 4x 37’s and stock were stranded at the time of the collapse, and at least 10x 156’s vehicles were roaded in. I should have a book with all the set numbers in somewhere, but I think I recall they were 15648x series.

Here’s a report on the collapse..

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11991979.River_Ness_rail_bridge_swept_away_by_floodtide/

http://www.elginmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/2010/articles/railwaystories/vernon/collapse-of-the-ness-viaduct-8th-february-1989.html

There was a 142 also present in Inverness shed, but it was blacked by the staff, it was in the same building as the 156, I have a picture of it somewhere but i’ll be dammed if I can find it.

At the same time, a 156 / 158 hybrid was used on Glasgow services as the snow stopped 158’s working successfully, they turned it on the triangle using the far north Inverness platforms, similarly D5394 was used at Aviemore for clearing snow off the BR line, borrowed from Speyside, I saw it manoeuvring around the BR station as we deboarded at Aviemore off of the train with the 37/47 on), only the 3rd time i’d Seen a preserved diesel working on a BR line (as it technically wasn’t permitted).

This would be snow in around May bank holiday which wasn’t expected... that train I was on with the 47/ 37 I recall was several (maybe 10) hours late I recall (I seem to think it was the sleeper, but left in the am) ... all good fun... we did 3 trips to the far north, once before the collapse, once just before they introduced the sprinters, when the line was isolated still, and another within days of the bridge reopening.

Class 158’swere absolutely brand new, and featured payphones! But we’re aimed at Glasgow/Edinburgh centred routes..but couldn’t handle snow, and ultimately caused chaos.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Checking my notes..

Stranded at Muir of Ord in 1989 was 37414/5/7/8/9 in 1990 this was reduced to 418/9/20

156’s at Muir of Ord was 156446/457/474/477/478

The unnumbered ones are a bit complicated, but were 156474/7/8/492-6 /499/500 the original plan was to form 474/7/8 units into extra cars to make 3 car sets, which ultimately instead saw 485/92/3/4 formed as 3 cars... due to the bridge collapse, ultimately only 4 sets were made three cars, and later disbanded back to 2 cars, which is presumably when they got their set numbers on the cabs, note in my picture of 494 in the works, it’s only 1 vehicle, which had apparently had an altercation with a tree, presumably 52494 and 57495 were out in service according to my notes with a class 158 split up !

So from my notes I’ve got 3 car formations of:

156485: 52485,57485, 52496

156492: 52492,57492,57495

156493: 52493,57493, 57496

156494: 52494,57494, 57495

Edited by adb968008

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great, although in my humble opinion I feel the exhaust colour could do with being a bit darker it seems very bright, looking at images of the prototype I struggle to find one in which the exhaust is that shade. Also the wheel rims should be painted black like Bachmann offerings it makes it look much better. Even ex works units the wheels never look like how the model represents, Bachmann have it right painting wheel rim in a matt black, it is easy for modeller to do this of course. Despite the very minor points listed it looks very good. 

Looks great, although in my humble opinion I feel the exhaust colour could do with being a bit darker it seems very bright, looking at images of the prototype I struggle to find one in which the exhaust is that shade. Also the wheel rims should be painted black like Bachmann offerings it makes it look much better. Even ex works units the wheels never look like how the model represents, Bachmann have it right painting wheel rim in a matt black, it is easy for modeller to do this of course. Despite the very minor points listed it looks very good. 

The Exhausts were stainless steel, this weathered very quickly though, the wheels are Nickle plated for good electrical pickup.  I use a Black permanent marker pen, its quick an easy.

Charlie

Edited by charliepetty

The Exhausts were stainless steel, this weathered very quickly though, the wheels are Nickle plated for good electrical pickup.  I use a Black permanent marker pen, its qiock an easy.

Charlie

You have done a great job Charlie although Bachmann paint the rim of the wheel of course not the contact portion with the rail; but I feel for the price it would be nice if the factory could do this during the production run. Totally agree it is quick and easy to do by the modeller although it would be ideal if this was done by the factory like the long line of Bachmann offerings that have had such treatment. Also many Provincial Class 156 units post mid 1990 had the black paint fade away and the windscreen frames were silver specifically 156418 that by 1989 was in such condition. Overall though a great model that sets the standard.