Realtrack Class 156

charliepetty

They do look great and I'm looking forward to mine, but I also cant help being disappointed too in seeing the head/tail/marker lights there too though. We must surely have moved forward from having painted marker lights and with the effort you guys have gone to with the accuracy of the other lighting functions to have bi-colour head/tail lights where the units didn't have those when originally built I do think is poor.

I can understand you've probably tooled up for more modern liveries where they do have bi-colour marker and tail lights and to make life easier so it isn't an issue there, but it just looks wrong on these and once seen, its hard to unsee. I'd be more than happy to swap a doors open light or cab light for the correct marker lights if thats all thats possible with separate lighting function counts on decoders for example.

I really hope the marker lights are taken into account with the Class 142 when you're tooling that up.

Dont get me wrong, I really do genuinely think it looks a fabulous model overall, but its 95% there for me and its a minor point and could make the difference between buying 1 knowing theres a niggle that annoys me about it, or being completely happy to buy several.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, dj_crisp said:

My first thougt was light bleed but you're right they look like bi-colour lights and they should be warmer in colour. Otherwise a very nice model.

yeah its not just that, its the wrong lens thats lit, the WIPAC light clusters had tail lights on the inside lens, then main headlight and marker lights on the outside as a thin bar, but thats just painted on. When these were originally built only one headlight would be on and the side would depend on whether it was day/night. e.g. http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-150/index.htm. Its quite noticeable with the lights on or looking at the tail lights with the painted markers 'on'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GordonC said:

yeah its not just that, its the wrong lens thats lit, the WIPAC light clusters had tail lights on the inside lens, then main headlight and marker lights on the outside as a thin bar, but thats just painted on. When these were originally built only one headlight would be on and the side would depend on whether it was day/night. e.g. http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-150/index.htm. Its quite noticeable with the lights on or looking at the tail lights with the painted markers 'on'

That's a compromise we made rather than increasing the price by £15.00-£20.00 to cover this version.  When we get the return on the tooling we have other mod's to do to make the current version and the above mentioned versions.  Can't do everything, sorry.   Charlie

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 06/09/2019 at 11:45, GordonC said:

They do look great and I'm looking forward to mine, but I also cant help being disappointed too in seeing the head/tail/marker lights there too though. We must surely have moved forward from having painted marker lights and with the effort you guys have gone to with the accuracy of the other lighting functions to have bi-colour head/tail lights where the units didn't have those when originally built I do think is poor.

I can understand you've probably tooled up for more modern liveries where they do have bi-colour marker and tail lights and to make life easier so it isn't an issue there, but it just looks wrong on these and once seen, its hard to unsee. I'd be more than happy to swap a doors open light or cab light for the correct marker lights if thats all thats possible with separate lighting function counts on decoders for example.

I really hope the marker lights are taken into account with the Class 142 when you're tooling that up.

Dont get me wrong, I really do genuinely think it looks a fabulous model overall, but its 95% there for me and its a minor point and could make the difference between buying 1 knowing theres a niggle that annoys me about it, or being completely happy to buy several.

Interesting comments on the lighting. Apart from bi-colour LED's being used, there is also a light bleed issue, which also spoils the effect.  It also appear's that Ice-Blue/White LED's have been used, when Warm White LED's would have looked far better.  The cab/destination and interior lights appear to be a lot brighter than the those fitted to the "Barbie" units, although these later units I believe had different/dot matrix destinations similar to the 158's. 

However overall it's a really nice model, but the lighting issues spoil it for me, which would be very difficult and awkward to correct, although perhaps not impossible.

As for the justification of cost compromise. surely the differences in the early and later lighting configurations would have been part of the overall design spec/costs from the outset, as the units were all originally built with the same Wipac lighting arrangement.

• Agree 2

Hello everyone,

I was very fortunate to get my Super Sprinter in person from Charlie at St Andrews show when they had just arrived. It’s a superb unit, detail, livery and all the lighting functions make this the best DMU model on the market. It’s a superb, smooth and quiet runner and will get sound added later on as I have on my more current Scotrail versions. 

I really can’t believe that there are moans about lighting which Charlie clearly explained was a compromise to keep costs down, especially when virtually every other loco topic has complaints about ever increasing prices, seems a sensible approach was taking so the vast majority get a superb model in what is bound to be a popular livery.

Well done Charlie and Arran on another super release.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I am looking forward to mine and I knew about the painted lens compromise. However I dont think its moaning to say I too would pay an extra 20 quid or so for the lighting to be correct for the early 156s.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Mine should be here soon, I’m happy to live with the lights. I enjoyed the videos a couple of posts earlier, looked great running in the dark with the interior lit, but really needs some passengers inside - wonder how easy it woukd be to fit some?

The doors opening and closing sound good, hopefully the next version will have doors that actually open and close!

• Like 1

On 07/09/2019 at 16:16, MRDBLUE17 said:

I really can’t believe that there are moans about lighting which Charlie clearly explained was a compromise to keep costs down, especially when virtually every other loco topic has complaints about ever increasing prices, seems a sensible approach was taking so the vast majority get a superb model in what is bound to be a popular livery.

Lovely model, but the trouble comes that when you  poke fun at the opposition, you'd better hope that yours is perfect.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

Lovely model, but the trouble comes that when you  poke fun at the opposition, you'd better hope that yours is perfect.

Absolutely right! A bit of an own goal there mocking compromises. 

I also don't think it's moaning providing feedback that I'd happily have paid more for better lighting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Absolutely right! A bit of an own goal there mocking compromises. 

I also don't think it's moaning providing feedback that I'd happily have paid more for better lighting.

All in all I do think the Realtrack 156 looks superb and any criticism was certainly intended constructively. I haven't seen any other compromises in it so for that kind of money I do really expect a definitive model so is 'moaning' not justified bearing in mind I hadn't seen any warning or discussion about it beforehand from ordering whenever it was announced

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I'm happy to live with the lights, especially given the alternative doesn't have any unless you are good with a soldering iron.  Which I am not.

One quick question of the irritating kind to Charlie, any update on the arrival of the sound chips?  Just need to know if I will be looking at this month or next month's financial planning period!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

One quick question of the irritating kind to Charlie, any update on the arrival of the sound chips?  Just need to know if I will be looking at this month or next month's financial planning period!

My sound-fitted one arrived yesterday, Mark, so they're obviously in stock and I guess the orders are being worked through.

22 minutes ago, Pete 75C said:

My sound-fitted one arrived yesterday, Mark, so they're obviously in stock and I guess the orders are being worked through.

Good to know that the sound fitted ones are making their way out.  The videos earlier look stunning, I especially like the "Ashbourne" seating which is just crying out for a touch of stripy paint...

4 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

I'm happy to live with the lights, especially given the alternative doesn't have any unless you are good with a soldering iron.  Which I am not.

2 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Good to know that the sound fitted ones are making their way out.  The videos earlier look stunning, I especially like the "Ashbourne" seating which is just crying out for a touch of stripy paint...

PM me at charlie@dckits.co.uk.    Currently overwelmed by orders and stuff.  Charlie

The lights are the only reason I've not ordered one, but not in a rush and more than willing to pay a bit extra if a future batch is modified.

It's a cracking model though, although I enjoy rehashing older models, the Lima tooling needs just a bit too much work to bring it up to scratch.  The body is good, but the undeframe is woeful