Realtrack Class 156

charliepetty

Hi Charlie,

The kind wife surprised me with a Scotrail 156 (not form you, but missed the boat).  is the option to have both cars fitted with sound chips, literally to order a pair of two chips like the HST or IET (bit confusing when I look at those you have in stock still).  Or is it one sound chip and a suitable decoder.

P.S. Love it that much, I am going to have to buy either the EMT or First version.  Rule 1 and all...

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Charlie. 

My version seems to have power and not move. There seems to be an issue with the driveshaft slipping out of the motor/bogie constantly.  Like the shaft isn't long enough. There is quite a bit of 360 movement for the bogie which seems to mean said shaft comes out easily.  Both cars in set are suffering. 

Is there a known fix for this. Or indeed a longer shaft?? 

Cheers 

On 10/11/2019 at 11:39, GEOEng03 said:

Hi Charlie. 

My version seems to have power and not move. There seems to be an issue with the driveshaft slipping out of the motor/bogie constantly.  Like the shaft isn't long enough. There is quite a bit of 360 movement for the bogie which seems to mean said shaft comes out easily.  Both cars in set are suffering. 

Is there a known fix for this. Or indeed a longer shaft?? 

Cheers 

Where have you bought this from please, as IF the bogies are very loose sadly your model has been roughly handled/dropped in transit and both bogie mounting points have been broken.  I suggest it is returned to the place it was bought from sadly fpor a refund.

Charlie

Edited by charliepetty
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Charlie,

Item has been returned.  I wouldn't have said that they were very loose, but they moved back and forth (on each of the four bogies), more so than any other loco I have owned, but had no reference for checking TBH.

I will have a think about whether I can fit another livery into the current plans, but see you have the Barbie ones still in stock.

Cheers

The final orders are planned to be despatched shortly on the Provincial, over 500 gone out of all types with just 58 to go.

Sorry to all for the wait, but we originally expected them in May, not late September.

And now onto the 142 'Supertrain'     Charlie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

The final orders are planned to be despatched shortly on the Provincial, over 500 gone out of all types with just 58 to go.

Sorry to all for the wait, but we originally expected them in May, not late September.

And now onto the 142 'Supertrain'     Charlie

Hi Charlie, If it helps I can pay the balance & collect at Warley? (Order id #337) or would that complicate things?

Regards

Mike

Charlie i'd ordered one through Hattons after I had issues getting your website to work (ages ago) - can you confirm that Hattons will still be getting their stock and also when you will be dispatching to them?  Don't want to risk not getting one and if it is likely you will only satisfy direct orders I will order direct from you.

Cheers,

Matt

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Matt said:

Charlie i'd ordered one through Hattons after I had issues getting your website to work (ages ago) - can you confirm that Hattons will still be getting their stock and also when you will be dispatching to them?  Don't want to risk not getting one and if it is likely you will only satisfy direct orders I will order direct from you.

Cheers,

Matt

Same here, but replace "Hattons" with a well-known Cornish retailer :) 

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 21:56, charliepetty said:

Your description is 'Two broken bogies'  Sadly.   Charlie.

Barbi ones are in stock.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Have recently acquired a couple of other 156's and it definitely was the Bogie like you have said.  The two I have, have no flex like the other did.  It didn't look right at all and looking at these two, you can see that massively now as well.  Excellent model and will be adding a third in EMT livery in due course.  I have to say, best model I have owned.  There are suggestions that Bachmann are doing similar with the 158... Time will tell :D

On 08/11/2019 at 16:25, GEOEng03 said:

Hi Charlie,

The kind wife surprised me with a Scotrail 156 (not form you, but missed the boat).  is the option to have both cars fitted with sound chips, literally to order a pair of two chips like the HST or IET (bit confusing when I look at those you have in stock still).  Or is it one sound chip and a suitable decoder.

P.S. Love it that much, I am going to have to buy either the EMT or First version.  Rule 1 and all...

Cheers

Ring me re the ScotRail decoders please.    Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

Right folks - HELP! please! lol

I got a 156 from Charlie.  Sound fitted.

Firstly, what decoder is in them?

I tested it on my mates track, it worked a treat.   He uses the ECoS command station.

I take it home to mine, I put it on the track and my identical ECoS command station to my mates behaved diferently!   It started to display a small green bar with 'M4' written in it.  It was like a battery icon, showing the charge.  After two to three minutes the icon filled with green and TWO separate addresses for the loco appeared on the ECoS display screen.    When I turned the dial to power the loco up one car worked, the other did nothing.

I sent it back to charlie, who returned it this week saying there was nothing wrong.  He set the address to 156 for me as requested.

I then deleted the Addresses from the ECoS screen and restarted the ECoS.   Upon restart there was no sign of the 'M4' icon.   When I tried to work the loco using address 156 it did nothing.   I then put the cars on the program track and it said it was CV1 = 3.   I tried to operate it on address 3.   There was no response from the loco.

I am just back from my local hobby shop who kindly tested it on his dcc trst track.   Both cars responded to address 3, both cars sounded good, etc.   There is a slight issue as both cars display white lights (so pull against each other!), but at least they are working!   So I sent it back to Charlie and he was right.....they both work, but they are not working on my ECoS!

So to summarise....how can i alter the direction of the cars so that one displays red tail lights while the other has white head lights?

And what do i do with this M4 protocol on my ECoS?   What is going on?

Cheers

Dave

34 minutes ago, DaveClass47 said:

I tested it on my mates track, it worked a treat.   He uses the ECoS command station.

I take it home to mine, I put it on the track and my identical ECoS command station to my mates behaved diferently!   It started to display a small green bar with 'M4' written in it.  It was like a battery icon, showing the charge.  After two to three minutes the icon filled with green and TWO separate addresses for the loco appeared on the ECoS display screen.    When I turned the dial to power the loco up one car worked, the other did nothing.

I sent it back to charlie, who returned it this week saying there was nothing wrong.  He set the address to 156 for me as requested.

I then deleted the Addresses from the ECoS screen and restarted the ECoS.   Upon restart there was no sign of the 'M4' icon.   When I tried to work the loco using address 156 it did nothing.   I then put the cars on the program track and it said it was CV1 = 3.   I tried to operate it on address 3.   There was no response from the loco.

I am just back from my local hobby shop who kindly tested it on his dcc trst track.   Both cars responded to address 3, both cars sounded good, etc.   There is a slight issue as both cars display white lights (so pull against each other!), but at least they are working!   So I sent it back to Charlie and he was right.....they both work, but they are not working on my ECoS!

So to summarise....how can i alter the direction of the cars so that one displays red tail lights while the other has white head lights?

So to summarize, the Realtrack 156 works perfectly everywhere but on your layout.

This infers the problem is with your DCC system, and thus you should be taking this up either with the company that makes your DCC system, or perhaps in a DCC forum where others who are familiar with your chosen system participate and may be able to help you diagnose the problem with your DCC system.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, simonjk said:

I had an issue  with both cars wanting to go the same way. This post helped me resolve it. Amended the cv's on one and that fixed it.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140221-readjusting-decoder-direction/

Simon

I found that if you set the address of both cars together they end up going in opposite directions, so I reset the decoders and programmed them individually which solved the problem.

Is DaveClass47's problem the apparent mismatch between the ECoS and LokSound V5 I've seen on other threads?

• RMweb Gold

Golden rule of the Realtrack 156 is to program each car separately and set CV29 on one of them so its direction is reversed.

I think the suggested settings many pages back also turn off RailCom on one car which might be advisable on an ECoS.

As for which decoder is fitted - original batch were LokSound Selects, current batches might be LokSound V5 but not sure.

6 hours ago, DaveClass47 said:

Right folks - HELP! please! lol

I got a 156 from Charlie.  Sound fitted.

Firstly, what decoder is in them?

And what do i do with this M4 protocol on my ECoS?   What is going on?

Cheers

Dave

To amend the direction issue on the 156 I suggest: 

This, should give address 1564 and retain the correct directionality;

Car 1 toilet

CV17  = 198
CV18  =  28
CV29  =  62

Car 2 non-toilet

CV17  = 198
CV18  =  28
CV29  =  63 

Also find out what updates on the ECoS your mate has, then update yours to the latest firmware as adjustments have been made since the Version 5 has arrived.  Charlie

6 hours ago, DaveClass47 said:

• Thanks 1

Has anyone else experienced a warped metal underframe on their 156? On one of my cars the metal plate is bent upwards above the motor bogie, drawing hte bogie into the bodyshell and thus preventing it from swivelling. Does anyone know of a remedy?

Edited by Matabiau

9 hours ago, Matabiau said:

Has anyone else experienced a warped metal underframe on their 156? On one of my cars the metal plate is bent upwards above the motor bogie, drawing hte bogie into the bodyshell and thus preventing it from swivelling. Does anyone know of a remedy?

Re my PM.   Return the 'Bad' Carriage only well wrapped for an exchange.    Charlie