Realtrack Class 156

charliepetty

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick and (and possibly daft) question but I may be about to inherit a non-DCC 156 from a friend who's decided to go 'O' - if I wanted to retro-fit this with DCC sound, am I right in saying I would need two sound decoders since each car is powered?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Solo said:

Just a quick and (and possibly daft) question but I may be about to inherit a non-DCC 156 from a friend who's decided to go 'O' - if I wanted to retro-fit this with DCC sound, am I right in saying I would need two sound decoders since each car is powered?

Thanks

Yes you do and Charlie is selling them at £90 for the pair (I hope that’s right) as I’m planning to get some for my 156 soon.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Yes you do and Charlie is selling them at £90 for the pair (I hope that’s right) as I’m planning to get some for my 156 soon.

I see Class 156 sound listed at £120 on the DC Kits website. A bit more than that supplied with speakers. 

7 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Hi, is this shown on the website or from a conversation you've had. 

Cheers 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GEOEng03 said:

Hi, is this shown on the website or from a conversation you've had. 

Cheers 

From what I remember when I had a conversation with Charlie, the model already has speakers fitted but I’ll have to get the manual out to check.

13 hours ago, jools1959 said:

On the DC Kits website, ordering a DCC Sound fitted model costs £110 more than the analogue version.  However, if you want to buy a matched pair of ESU V5 decoders as a retrofit, then the cost for the pair seems to be £170: nearly £90 each!!!

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

On the DC Kits website, ordering a DCC Sound fitted model costs £110 more than the analogue version.  However, if you want to buy a matched pair of ESU V5 decoders as a retrofit, then the cost for the pair seems to be £170: nearly £90 each!!!

I suggest you contact Charlie at Realtrack to confirm.  I can only tell you what he told me and what he’s written on here.

• RMweb Gold

Remember the factory sound comes with LokSound Select decoders which are cheaper for the manufacturers to obtain.

Unless I'm mistaken the Class 156 sound available via the DC kits website is full fat LokSound v5's now hence the price.

There is a possible chance if you contact Charlie directly he might still have a supply of the Selects from the factory fitted version that could be sold for the price difference between non DCC and sound fitted.

• RMweb Premium

That's good news re the pre-fitted speakers....has anyone used these with Zimo sound chips though?  I normally use projects from YouChoos or Digitrains, I find their range of functions far more useful - the actual engine sounds from the factory-fit 156s sound really good on videos I've seen but I find the functions as listed on the Realtrack website/DC Kits somewhat bizarre (e.g. toilet pipe(?!) and three functions dedicated to passenger announcements), no facility for sound fade-in/out etc.

Edited by Solo
unfinished sentence

On 19/04/2020 at 20:10, Solo said:

That's good news re the pre-fitted speakers....has anyone used these with Zimo sound chips though?  I normally use projects from YouChoos or Digitrains, I find their range of functions far more useful - the actual engine sounds from the factory-fit 156s sound really good on videos I've seen but I find the functions as listed on the Realtrack website/DC Kits somewhat bizarre (e.g. toilet pipe(?!) and three functions dedicated to passenger announcements), no facility for sound fade-in/out etc.

We have reacted to customers comments and requests over the last 5 years on all of the Realtrack DMU's, the functions we have are:

F0:  Day time running mode (Front Lights)

F1:  Engines.                                                                 

F2:  Playable High Horn.                                            

F3:  Playable Low Horn.                                            

F4:  Passenger Doors Open/Close.    (With Closing Bleeper)                      

F5:  Manual brake application(When moving) Brake Dump when stopped.

F6:  Drivers Door Open/Close.                                 

F7:  Compressor Speed Up.

F8:  Toilet Pipe Discharge. (Toilet Flushing onto Track sounds)

F9:  Variable speed flange squeel. 

(Fully automatic, nothing when stopped, increases with speed)    

F10: Despatch Whistle.                                             

F11: Guard to Driver Buzzer/optional reply.        

F12: Interior Lights (With flicker).

F13: Destination Blinds. On/Off.

F14: Automatic coupling/uncoupling Sounds.                  

F15: Passenger Announcements 1.                      

F16: Passenger Announcements 2.                      

F17: Passenger Announcements 3. 

F18: Speed Dependant Detonators.

(Fully automatic, nothing when stopped, faster at speed)              

F19: Cab Lights (Directional).  With On/Off switch sounds.                              

F20: Night Time Running (Front Lights)

F21: Parking Mode (Red Lights at both ends).

F22: Wabasto Heater.  

The destinations have been designed to suit those printed on the Past, Current and Future Northern Class 156 Units, these can be customised to suit your layouts location.

CV155 to Change destinations:

F15                                              F16                                        F17

0 / = Birmingham N S              0 / = Cambridge                 0 / = Stanstead Airport

1 / = Norwich                            1 / = Lowestoft                   1 / = Sheringham

2 / = Barrow in Furness          2 / = Clitheroe                     2 / = Manchester Vic

3 / = Colne                                3 / = Blackpool North         3 / = Manchester Vic

4 / = Liverpool L. St                 4 / = Preston                        4 / = Ormskirk

5 / = Cardiff Central                5 / = Portsmouth Hbr         5 / = Weymouth

6 / = Skegness                         6 / = Nottingham                 6 / = Leicester

7 / = Matlock                           7 / = Derby                            7 / = Newark Castle

8 / = Grimsby Town               8 / = Lincoln                          8 / = Peterborough

9 / = Ipswich                           9 / = Norwich                        9 / = Liverpool L. St

10/= Sheffield                        10 / = York                             10/ = Leeds

11/= Carlisle                           11/ = Leeds                           11/ = Selby

12/= Newcastle                      12/ = Middlesborough        12/ = Morpeth

13/= Scunthorpe                    13/ = Doncaster                   13/ = Hull

14/= Crewe                             14/ = Derby                           14/ = Stoke on Trent

15/ = Doncaster                     15/ = Lincoln                         15/ = Worksop

16/ = Chester                          16/ = Rose Hill Marple        16/ = Manchester Pic.

17/ = Huddersfield                 17/ = Sheffield                     17/ = Manchester Pic.

18/ = Shrewsbury                   18/ = Buxton                        18/ = Manchester Pic.

19/ = Knaresborough            19/ = Leeds                           19/ = Manchester Pic.

This is unique in the sound decoder field and honestly our customers love it.

The English ones have an English accent, the Scottish ones have a Scottish lady!!

Legomanbiffo also has Cornish, Bristol, Welsh, Black Country, Liverpool, Middlesborough, Newcastle and South East Accents on our Multiple Units.

Hope you like these.

Arran & Charlie                                    

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah, that's really useful thank-you.  Have to say I do like the flexibility of all the lighting options/combinations.  Now just got to see if that 156 is coming my way.  Or maybe order one of my own.....

• 1 month later...

Reggie Rail 156....finally made a start today on dismantling it to fit some passengers, secondary speakers and also to consider a possible fix for the dummy marker lights.

Beware - spent over 2 hours trying to remove the body from just one car ! Once apart, the problem being strips of double sided sticky tape have been used at both ends between bodyshell and chassis edges, and some of the glue used for retaining the windows also appears to have wicked into the body/chassis join line at both ends.

The Barbie unit I stripped previously did not have these strips of DST between the body/chassis it came apart easily with no issues. 

Why fit these strips of DST, the body/chassis fit is fine without them, they just make removing the body a real PITA...if it ain't broke don't fix it !

On 24/05/2020 at 00:53, tractor_37260 said:

Reggie Rail 156....finally made a start today on dismantling it to fit some passengers, secondary speakers and also to consider a possible fix for the dummy marker lights.

Beware - spent over 2 hours trying to remove the body from just one car ! Once apart, the problem being strips of double sided sticky tape have been used at both ends between bodyshell and chassis edges, and some of the glue used for retaining the windows also appears to have wicked into the body/chassis join line at both ends.

The Barbie unit I stripped previously did not have these strips of DST between the body/chassis it came apart easily with no issues. 

Why fit these strips of DST, the body/chassis fit is fine without them, they just make removing the body a real PITA...if it ain't broke don't fix it !

We had about 25 returns from customers on the first batch (150 Sample Units) with the bodyshells sitting too low or too high on the chassis, thus the lights did not line up everytime, which made it look like faulty lights !!!  Also if too low on the bodyshell the bogies catch the body on sharp corners and derail.

So we asked for the balance in China to have a 'Fix' to stop this.

You should have contacted us with this for advice, as a small craftknife quickly run down between the chassis and bodyshell would get it off quickly.

Our website gives advice and pictures on this. See:

https://realtrackmodels.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=92

The Provincial mostly have this 'Fix', the East Midlands & ScotRail units are as normal.

Charlie

Fix-156.png

Edited by charliepetty
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, charliepetty said:

We had about 25 returns from customers on the first batch (150 Sample Units) with the bodyshells sitting too low or too high on the chassis, thus the lights did not line up everytime, which made it look like faulty lights !!!  Also if too low on the bodyshell the bogies catch the body on sharp corners and derail.

So we asked from the balance in China to have a 'Fix' to stop this.

You should have contacted us with this for advice, as a small craftknife quickly run down between the chassis and bodyshell would get it off quickly.

Our website gives advice and pictures on this. See:

https://realtrackmodels.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=92

The Provincial mostly have this 'Fix', the East Midlands & ScotRail units are as normal.

Charlie

Fix-156.png

Interesting comments Charlie, first I've heard or seen about issues with some of the Prov 156's. I resorted to using a blade as above when the usual strips of card had no effect.

I'll be in touch soon about some other QC issues/misssing parts etc

Regards

Ken

21 hours ago, tractor_37260 said:

Interesting comments Charlie, first I've heard or seen about issues with some of the Prov 156's. I resorted to using a blade as above when the usual strips of card had no effect.

I'll be in touch soon about some other QC issues/misssing parts etc

Regards

Ken

The missing handrail can be sorted easily, the lamp bracket if bent can drop off, a replacement corridor connection can be supplied as a replacemant if you wish.  The spot of glue on the body shell normally comes off with your finger nail.

Hope this helps.    Charlie

6 hours ago, charliepetty said:

The missing handrail can be sorted easily, the lamp bracket if bent can drop off, a replacement corridor connection can be supplied as a replacemant if you wish.  The spot of glue on the body shell normally comes off with your finger nail.

Hope this helps.    Charlie

Yes the glue blobs on the roof did indeed come off using a thumb nail leaving no damage to the paint ( obviously not CA adhesive as I first thought) As I found the lamp iron I'll attempt to fix it back on, but I'll look out for a replacement handrail arriving in due course.

Thanks for the help

Ken

38 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

Yes the glue blobs on the roof did indeed come off using a thumb nail leaving no damage to the paint ( obviously not CA adhesive as I first thought) As I found the lamp iron I'll attempt to fix it back on, but I'll look out for a replacement handrail arriving in due course.

Thanks for the help

Ken

No Problems.   Charlie

Received my 156 from Rainbow Railways yesterday, and converted it to EM this evening. Superb work from @charliepetty - very impressed! The conversion to EM was very straightforward because of the nicely spaced bogies and split axles, a nice design feature! 

Here she is at platform 1 at Motts Lane (station yet to be built!):

280EFCB5-929E-4F98-B417-1574AAA132B4.jpeg.7fc98a520eb19b046aa85038bceae7ba.jpeg

Looking forward to getting the sound chips to finish off the model.

Thanks,

Will

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I’m really happy with my two EMT versions (okay, I’m still awaiting for my latest 156 :D) and I wonder what versions Charlie’s got planned next :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 02/06/2020 at 21:35, Southwich said:

Received my 156 from Rainbow Railways yesterday,

Will

Looks fab. I've been looking at Rainbow Railways website since Model Rail Scotland, as having seen their Northern Liveried 156, I walked around the hall another time before deciding to go back and buy it, where needless to say it had been sold.

I see they also have the Strathclyde Orange PTE listed. Not sure whether to take the plunge or wait for the official RealTrack release, as from the original literature, Strathclyde was always on the cards to be released.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Scottish-Exile said:

Looks fab. I've been looking at Rainbow Railways website since Model Rail Scotland, as having seen their Northern Liveried 156, I walked around the hall another time before deciding to go back and buy it, where needless to say it had been sold.

I see they also have the Strathclyde Orange PTE listed. Not sure whether to take the plunge or wait for the official RealTrack release, as from the original literature, Strathclyde was always on the cards to be released.

Wow I just saw that.

I bought a Northern one a few months back (see back a few pages), the respray quality is fantastic, I mean right up there with rtr finish.

I’m tempted by that Strathclyde one, i’d recommend it from my “Northern” experience, its not that much above rrp all things considered.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...