Class 142

charliepetty

attachicon.gif207108.jpg

Just thought i'd add a pacer of the day, 142002 (my most frequently photographed pacer).

Here at Blackburn, as thats where the discussion was recently about.

Note  it's destination box is part of the front panel (not a rubber sealed glass window) 

Maybe it is the most frequently photographed because it seemed to appear everywhere?

Here it is in Cardiff, complete with ATW livery in 2005. 

post-4474-0-01251100-1535478107_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Personally I think a splash of yellow looks great on a 'Pacer' - Tyne & Wear or the (from memory) very similar Merseyrail scheme would brighten things nicely.

I also remember thinking the Manchester PTE two-tone grey with a red band succeeded in making even the most mundane of units look smart but not sure this lasted very long(?)

Really though I'm just glad someone is taking the time to make such high quality models of things that have been a part of the scene for decades and that will have a home on almost any layout - makes a welcome change from some of the incredibly niche (albeit exquisitely modelled) projects of recent times.

Hi Folks,

A bit of heresy for you all here.

This is what I did with some class 142 bodies, thankfully only Hornby ones !

post-34584-0-69905800-1535578354_thumb.jpg

Edit;

For those that don't know this is a model of RDB 977091 former BCK M 21234 rebuilt by Leyland with the National bus body panels in 1982. It is thought to be the only departmental coach to enter revenue earning service being used on the Manchester-Brighton sevices.

Here is an RMWeb link by Ian Wales from 2011;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44330-leyland-experimental-coach/

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
  • Like 9

I’d still consider Provincial livered 142049... just because of the Canadian connection, with or without its GB sticker, that someone stuck on for a laugh when it came back.

Thank you for that, it will be done!    Destinations ??????

Charlie

Thank you for that, it will be done!    Destinations ??????

Charlie

If you were going to do a version as it ran at Expo 86, the only picture I could find shows "RB100" on the destination.  If you were going to go fantasy land for the 142's Canadian Expedition, it would be "Abbotsford" and "New Westminster" as the two end destinations of its demonstration runs.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2414862

http://www.railforthevalley.com/latest-news/zweisystem/in-1986/

Stephen

Hi Folks,

A bit of heresy for you all here.

This is what I did with some class 142 bodies, thankfully only Hornby ones !

Gibbo.

attachicon.gifDSCF0375.JPG

This just reminded me, I have an old Dapol 155 and a bunch of Hornby 142 bodyshells somewhere...

Thank you for that, it will be done! Destinations ??????

Charlie

Good choice. Could we also have a provincial livery with just the 3 roof ribs (051-096) for a bit of variety? ( I know it would be slightly different tooling so would come at a different time to the 10 rib earlier ones).

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that, it will be done! Destinations ??????

Charlie

On its return, it became a Newton Heath example.

Rochdale, via Oldham ... would be my favourite, as the line is gone now (it’s Metrolink now) but fits its history.

Blackburn on the other end wouldn’t be uncommon for an Oldham loop working.

Here’s an example of the blind on 142010.

http://www.traintesting.com/images/142_manchester.jpg

I might have a picture of 049 with its GB sticker on the cab front somewhere :-)

Another cheeky 142 destination would be Stockport - Stalybridge

NH ones got around.. draw a circle around Crewe, Chester, Liverpool, Lancaster, Leeds, Sheffield..

Something crossing the WCML might widen appeal..., especially bucket and spade places

Blackpool to Manchester

Southport to Manchester

Blackpool South to Preston.. Morecambe,

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

On its return, it became a Newton Heath example.

Rochdale, via Oldham ... would be my favourite, as the line is gone now (it’s Metrolink now) but fits its history.

Blackburn on the other end wouldn’t be uncommon for an Oldham loop working.

Here’s an example of the blind on 142010.

http://www.traintesting.com/images/142_manchester.jpg

I might have a picture of 049 with its GB sticker on the cab front somewhere :-)

Another cheeky 142 destination would be Stockport - Stalybridge

NH ones got around.. draw a circle around Crewe, Chester, Liverpool, Lancaster, Leeds, Sheffield..

Something crossing the WCML might widen appeal..., especially bucket and spade places

Blackpool to Manchester

Southport to Manchester

Blackpool South to Preston.. Morecambe,

Good suggestions.

It would be good to allow interchangeable destinations ie those on a Skipper could be for the south or north west.

I would be happy with Manchester, Sheffield & Liverpool.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely in Northern Rail Livery for me. Specifically the 2016 Abellio/Serco livery. Both Branded and de-branded (current livery) would be good.

We are looking for close up photographs of the Newton Heath depot sticker which appeared on the 142s during the 80s/90s which has the 'Lancashire Witch' drawing between the N   &    H.

It looks similar to the photo attached but is not quite the same!!!

This depot sticker normally appeared under the drivers cab window and some times on the cab front.

post-3411-0-52385600-1536923343.jpg

Looks dead close.., the broom ends more square..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50619197@N07/5230872703

Ahh, the good old days of DIY draft proofing by stuffing newspaper between the cab window and bulkhead. Cab heaters on full whack and it still freezing cold at anything over 50MPH.

For me the 144 was/is a step up. Good all round vision due to thin window pillars. Very good cab heaters both at the drivers and second mans side. Sealed bulkhead, so no draughts. But the 142 wins on the relaxed driving position.

Looking forward to the 142 and and the early version of the 144. Saving up already.

Edited by 66738