Class 142

charliepetty

Can I play too, in order of  preference:-

1 - Provincial Blue Livery x many!

2 - GMPTE early

3 - GMPTE late

4 - Reggie Rail

5 - Merseyrail ( I hate the real ones seats, but still have to have one!)

• RMweb Premium

We are looking into Liveries, our thoughts were:

Provincial with 4 Leaf Doors

Skipper with 4 Leaf Doors

Northern Serco Abellio

Northern (Unbranded) as running over the last 2 years.

Your thoughts

attachicon.gif142029 Provincial old doors.jpg

attachicon.gif142020 GW Skipper.jpg

attachicon.gif142086 Northern 2.jpg

3 out of the 4 for me !!

(Skipper & both Northern versions)

Cheers,

Phil.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm trying to remember whether any Provincial-liveried 142s ran in the NE—some Skipper-liveried ones did initially when they replaced the 143s—or whether they were in RR livery by then. I'd also be interested in a TWPTE or Provincial 143 if you ever do them...

Provincial blue 142s got to Whitby. So been a duty for Heaton allocated units, I’d say yes.

Edited by richierich

• RMweb Premium

142001 in GMPTE Orange is the story,  The TOC concerned has to recieve 'A big thanks' if true.   The NRM have been allocated this one.

HOPE ITS TRUE! 

Charlie    PPS Thats is one we are going to do as well.

I suspect the NRM will probably claim 142001 and then dump it outside, much like LEV1.

• RMweb Premium

Are realtrack still in business?   

I was initially very pleased with the Northern Rail class 144 Pacer which has given good service on my layout.
After a period of storage in its box, I brought it out again last week to find it no longer runs.
When both cars are placed on the track separately, the lights work in both, but the motor shows no re-action.
When the coupling/electrical connection is made the unit shorts out.
Although it will by now be well out of its warranty period I am loathe to smash it open to see whether the fault is something which I can easily fix by myself.
I e-mailed Realtrack for advice at the address given on the instruction sheet, but I see that my e-mail has bounced.

I was initially very pleased with the Northern Rail class 144 Pacer which has given good service on my layout.

After a period of storage in its box, I brought it out again last week to find it no longer runs.

When both cars are placed on the track separately, the lights work in both, but the motor shows no re-action.

Although it will by now be well out of its warranty period I am loathe to smash it open to see whether the fault is something which I can easily fix by myself.

I e-mailed Realtrack for advice at the address given on the instruction sheet, but I see that my e-mail has bounced.

I can categorically say Yes, they are very much still in business. I mailed Charlie Saturday evening about if Realtrack has spares of cosmetic shock absorbers, as over time a few have gone missing on my 144. First thing Sunday morning Charlie Emailed back saying yes they had spares and gave me instructions on what to do next regarding postage payments. Extremely prompt response and very helpful.

Edited by 66738

Try charlie@dckits.co.uk  or just ring the details on the Website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie

Check the Plug as it is possible to plug the bottom 4 pins into the top female holes!!! As the plug can become loose in its holder.  Charlie

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for your help Charlie.   The male plug had indeed shifted position within its holder.  It took a bit of fiddling with, but now all eight pins have aligned correctly again and train is working.  Next time it comes off the layout I will probably keep the two cars coupled together and display the train on a shelf when it is not in use.

Many thanks for your help Charlie.   The male plug had indeed shifted position within its holder.  It took a bit of fiddling with, but now all eight pins have aligned correctly again and train is working.  Next time it comes off the layout I will probably keep the two cars coupled together and display the train on a shelf when it is not in use.

That's brilliant, hope you have many happy hours of 'Bouncing' !   Charlie

I have a similar issue with the plug being unseated and it won't settle down again. Am considering superglue but if that does not work will make fixing even more difficult? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark

As above, PVA will keep it there but 'Can be Removed' If required.  Charlie

• RMweb Premium
On 1/23/2019 at 12:58 PM, Steven B said:

Did the Tyne and Wear Yellow Regional Railways units ever get to Manchester/Lancashire?

Quite probably. Heaton units will have worked to Carlisle, then might have got to Barrow via the Cumbrian Coast. So potentially if diagrammed, they might have worked to preston, then into the North West.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Buckley Wells said:

Just wondered what the latest estimate is for when orders may open for the 142s? I know last time we spoke at either Telford or Ally Pally you had your hands full with the 156s

Still full!  Delays currently on the Provincial 156's.  Sorry.

• 2 months later...

Silly question I guess,,,,but after a period of non modelling I’m looking for a northern 142 I’ve seen an arriva one on eBay for inflated money but I’m near Standedge so Northern for me, don’t know if anyone knows any lurking in any non web model shops please let me know I don’t mind a tad over RRP but certainly not double.

thanks 

14 minutes ago, TTDB said:

Silly question I guess,,,,but after a period of non modelling I’m looking for a northern 142 I’ve seen an arriva one on eBay for inflated money but I’m near Standedge so Northern for me, don’t know if anyone knows any lurking in any non web model shops please let me know I don’t mind a tad over RRP but certainly not double.

thanks 

That will have been an old Hornby model you’ve seen. I would wait until Charlie gets his new model produced as it will be excellent and Northern is on the list as I will be getting one too. 

Hope that helps

Mark

Ahh sorry just realised wrong thread it’s the 144 I’m looking for lol, yes I had an old Hornby late 80s in GMPTE orange always thought looked over scale so will repost in correct thread thanks 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 22:17, Garry D100 said:

GMPTE orange and Provincial please

Snap.

I'd maybe take 2 provs if you produced two different numbered units .

5 minutes ago, Latic said:

Snap.

I'd maybe take 2 provs if you produced two different numbered units .

A GMPTE Orange/Brown 142001-142014 example . A provincial  142028 -142050 (10 roof rib 1st batch) and a provincial 142051- 142096 (3 roof rib 2nd batch) for me. 

Two usefu sources of areas where 142 operated are in two books on Pacers -the Pacer by Mackin -largely captioned photos and The Pacer Family by Kerr which has more detail and many photos from around the country and various liveries. There is also a Modern Locomotives  Illustrated on the subject.

Examples of 142s in Cornwall, North East, Darlington-Saltburn,  Carlisle-Lancaster, Blackpool, Leeds, York, Sheffield, Liverpool, Wales.