Class 142

charliepetty

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2018 at 10:30, Owd Bob said:

Never thought anybody would ever be interested in these things but here's a few badly scanned pics' (cheapo scanner) i found recently, from back when film was expensive and not to be wasted on such things.  :jester: I have much better ones yet to scan, and will admit now that i quite liked these units but don't tell anyone!

Passing Springs Branch. Late 1980's? 

post-31611-0-27587100-1516788577_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-04176100-1516788617_thumb.jpg

Near Dog Hill Oldham. 1987.

post-31611-0-31021700-1516788930_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-58956000-1516788995_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-63343600-1516789062_thumb.jpg

Good set of pictures here of 142s in original liveries. I would add that the photo of the chocolate and cream former Cornish Skipper would have had to be taken a bit later than 1987. It can be seen that the unit had been fitted with Voith gearboxes by then (the gearbox valve boxes for the Voith gearboxes can be seen painted in white). The chocolate and cream 142s, 142015-27 received Voith transmission between the autumn of 1988 and early 1989.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/01/2018 at 23:02, royaloak said:

I never realised the 142s were renumbered when they had the gearboxes changed, they do say you learn something new every day.

It was to do with either changing the engines from Leyland TL11 engines to Cummins or the Self Changing gearboxes to Voith T211R, I cant remember which one it was and most of my info books are still packed.

Edit-

Norm81 has confirmed it was the gearboxes.

The renumbering of 142s was to identify the ones fitted with Voith gearboxes. Not all were renumbered and all were renumbered back to their original numbers after the conversion program was completed in March 1991. However, Class 143s were renumbered and retained their new numbers.

The Cummins engines were fitted to Pacers from about March 1993 to April 1996. New doors were also fitted around the same time. The first 142s with Cummins engines were 142036, 142044, 142048 and 142054 in autumn 1993. The first with new doors was 142044.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 01/12/2016 at 16:53, Matabiau said:

I believe the skipper livery (and MPTE orange, and provincial blue) had disappeared by the time the 142s were fitted with single leaf doors.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I have just found a photo from1995 of a skipper in chocolate and cream with bright yellow single leaf doors. I don't believe they stayed like that for very long.

142012 spent a few weeks during the early part of 1994 in original orange GMPTE livery sporting bright yellow new doors. 142027 also spent a short time in the chocolate and cream livery in 1996 with the new doors..

• Informative/Useful 3

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 11:21, pacerfan said:

142012 spent a few weeks during the early part of 1994 in original orange GMPTE livery sporting bright yellow new doors. 142027 also spent a short time in the chocolate and cream livery in 1996 with the new doors..

Some units spent ages being in original liveries with yellow doors. 142026 was one in Choc and Cream that was forever remaining like that. Most of them were the first repaints into Northern Spirit livery as they were still in original and had not been touched. Northern Spirit then left the rest of the units as they were until the arrival of Arriva Trains Northern after the take-over of Northern Spirit as I think the parent company sold the franchise on or went bust.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, hallmodelspares said:

Nice ralcar kit Gibbo675, shame these are now so difficult to obtain they were good for the money. I was too late to build a collection of these and it seems SPM is going similar. Some really out of stock has been left so

?????????????????  Is it just me!    Charlie

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Dicky L said:

Easy to debrand Tom. just use t-cut to remove them. 

Yeah it's not that it won't stop me buying one, it's that I'd rather have it how I want it if one of them is like that.

The main issue for me (and this is not a criticism, more me than the product) is the decision between how much it will be and how much I will want one. The differentiating factor on the 156 is pretty much what Rainbow charge extra for the work they do to put it in Northern livery. It just puts it too close to relevant larger unit/loco coach combinations. And again that's not a criticism as it's a lot of work they do, it's just it's more than I want to spend when I can hope that Realtrack do a factory Northern 156 one day (something I am hoping more than expecting), Bachmann do a Northern 158 (which I think would happen) and I can just buy a 150/2 when they come out.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, TomScrut said:

@charliepetty are any of the Northern ones going to be as current, which I believe have less branding on them?

8 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

They have No Branding on them:

142016 Unbranded.jpg

Typical Yorkie - do the debranded ones as it means not paying the licence fee. (At least it avoids doing some modelling)

:)

• Funny 6

12 hours ago, charliepetty said:

The Class 142 are now on the Website, but pre-ordering & prices still await while the current Covid 19 turbulance subsides and things calm down somewhat.

Charlie

142 Cad 1.jpg

Hi Charlie, that's great news though thought you were going to be doing Chocolate & Cream and original GMPTE in addition to Provincial? Still will probably put in an order for at least one Provincial.

18 hours ago, Jim76 said:

Hi Charlie, that's great news though thought you were going to be doing Chocolate & Cream and original GMPTE in addition to Provincial? Still will probably put in an order for at least one Provincial.

GMPTE - Chocolate & Cream did not have a 3 Ribbed Roof.  Just because Dapol in N Gauge are bringing out incorrect models of Class 142s in any colour they fancy, we are doing it right.

142027 WR Chocolate & Cream.jpg

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, charliepetty said:

142062 Provincial Roof.jpg

Hi Charlie,

For a little extra trivia, the large building in the background is the former manufactory of Chewits (even chewier than Barrow in Furness bus depot).

Gibbo.

• 2 weeks later...