Class 142

charliepetty

• RMweb Premium

Good to see those leaflets, I worked with some of the people in the photo. Thanks for posting them.

Pacers were not the first train which didn’t work out of the box, nor were they the last.

For the non-enthusiast they were an improvement - remember the clapped out 1st generation dmu’s where everything rattled and the heaters that filled them with fumes?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ColinK said:

Good to see those leaflets, I worked with some of the people in the photo. Thanks for posting them.

Pacers were not the first train which didn’t work out of the box, nor were they the last.

For the non-enthusiast they were an improvement - remember the clapped out 1st generation dmu’s where everything rattled and the heaters that filled them with fumes?

Very true, the 175's spring to mind. And yes in terms of passenger comfort the newer Pacer units will have been an improvement over the 1st gen units. I will defend to death the 142 and other Pacer Railbuses, with the financial pressures on BR at the time the Pacer was the cheap solution. And very interesting to know you worked with some of the people in the leaflet.

As much as I liked the likes of the Met Cams, this idea that they were virtually local versions of a Pullman is rose tinted nonsense. As colin said, the heating leaked coolant on the power cars and fumes from the combustion heaters on the trailers- that's if the heating hadn't been isolated. In later years the fumes seeping in via the gangways from corroded exhausts.

And at the end if you had a power car where both engines were working you considered yourself lucky.

16 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

As much as I liked the likes of the Met Cams, this idea that they were virtually local versions of a Pullman is rose tinted nonsense. As colin said, the heating leaked coolant on the power cars and fumes from the combustion heaters on the trailers- that's if the heating hadn't been isolated. In later years the fumes seeping in via the gangways from corroded exhausts.

And at the end if you had a power car where both engines were working you considered yourself lucky.

They were when you sat in the First Class section and was better in the seats behind the driver when the cab blinds were open!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/10/2020 at 15:43, Derekstuart said:

I realise that this question will be the subject of derision for even asking, but I seem to recall looking at the Hornby 142 and thinking it's a bit 'chunky' and overscale compared to other stock sitting next to it.

Now looking at the real one next to a 143, the real one looks bigger and chunkier too.

So is/ was the Hornby one overscale or is it just the way the real one looks?

I shall be ordering a RT 142 when available. I missed the 143 and 156 (though if they're re-released in BR colours I'll make sure I'm there to order on the first day)

The Hornby 142 is a bit 'chunkier' than other stock. I haven't measured but I think a big part of the problem is that it rides too high on wheels which are a bit on the big side. Certainly nect to something like the Realtrack 144 it's much higher, even accounting for the difference in the squarer roof profile. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDW said:

The Hornby 142 is a bit 'chunkier' than other stock. I haven't measured but I think a big part of the problem is that it rides too high on wheels which are a bit on the big side. Certainly nect to something like the Realtrack 144 it's much higher, even accounting for the difference in the squarer roof profile. 

Thanks. I have put slightly smaller P4 wheels in and that makes them look better to start with. There's a lot that can be done with them of course, but I agree with others that they are of their time.

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Thanks, I thought they'd all sold out. That's the first time I've seen pictures of the models as opposed to just the real thing (I have been away from the hobby for a year or two).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

Thanks. I have put slightly smaller P4 wheels in and that makes them look better to start with. There's a lot that can be done with them of course, but I agree with others that they are of their time.

Thanks, I thought they'd all sold out. That's the first time I've seen pictures of the models as opposed to just the real thing (I have been away from the hobby for a year or two).

Realtrack Models Class 156s are a Scale Model with 'Lots' of seperate detailing features, these models are not aimed at Children & Heavy Handed modellers, the Hornby models (156 & 142) are ideal for the above section of the hobby.

The next batch of Class 156's & Class 142s are in their early stages, with the 156s probably arriving first.    When we have all the costings and estimated deliveries then we will update the Website.

Also the 143 will be making a comeback after the Class 142.

Charlie.

DSC_0032.JPG

• Like 12

Love them or Hate them.      I can assure you when the real ones are gone, people will look back with fond memories.

Realtrack have done the 144 in 4 Versions, 143 in 4 Versions, 156 in 12 Versions.

To come are 142s in 5 Versions and more 156s in 4 Versions.

144-142 Lineup.jpg

• Like 16
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/10/2020 at 10:30, charliepetty said:

Realtrack Models Class 156s are a Scale Model with 'Lots' of seperate detailing features, these models are not aimed at Children & Heavy Handed modellers, the Hornby models (156 & 142) are ideal for the above section of the hobby.

The next batch of Class 156's & Class 142s are in their early stages, with the 156s probably arriving first.    When we have all the costings and estimated deliveries then we will update the Website.

Charlie.

DSC_0032.JPG

Hi Charlie,

It would be interesting to see a 3 car 144, if they were to be done at all? 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, charliepetty said:

This is the Class 142 secitio, the Class 156 has its own section.         Charlie

144 Northern Livery PDF.jpg

Shouldn't this be in the 144 section then...........?

:crazy:  :P

• Funny 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Took delivery of 3 Class 142's today (at 1:1 scale)

TfW are withdrawing their entire Class 142 fleet at the end of this month, and they are all heading to SIMS Newport for scrapping. The TfW Class 143 fleet will be in service for a bit longer, lets say Easter 2021, while the Class 769's get bedded in on the Rhymney Valley line.

So, this morning 143 002, 073 & 074 came to Landore for storage before they head off to meet their maker.

IMG_20201221_112612.jpg.d8a88d5c687673dd4233a3ca3737e0e7.jpg

IMG_20201221_114058.jpg.dd090df86aefe24456db8a7df50129e3.jpg

IMG_20201221_114307.jpg.d99f89d4b96e47c43af8917851a360f8.jpg

IMG_20201221_114324.jpg.bf072effa2073affe462304bad33e09b.jpg

Edited by Scottish-Exile
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

I used to love the 141s on the Sheffield Lincoln route, original seats. Managed to cab one once as a spotty teenager. I'm hoping someone does a 141...hint hint hint..... after the 142 of course. I have a Hornby one which is ok from a distance, but I'll definitely be after a Realtrack one when they come up for order 

On 17/10/2020 at 10:30, charliepetty said:

Charlie.

Does that suggest that the Class 144s in an early livery may be an option for the future too? I was out of the hobby when the first ones came out so missed out, then seem very rare on the second hand market.

Richie

8 hours ago, Rochdale Road said:

Does that suggest that the Class 144s in an early livery may be an option for the future too? I was out of the hobby when the first ones came out so missed out, then seem very rare on the second hand market.

Richie

See 143/144 thread. 20th Dec 2020, Charlie confirmed yes.