Class 142

charliepetty

The two Northern will have Destination Decals with various destinations for you to select. Charlie

Hi Charlie, could the other two not have various destinations or could these be made available separately perhaps?

I'd be interested in both the Provincial and Skipper examples but would prefer Greater Manchester / north west of England destinations.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Charlie

Regarding the day and night headlights the class 142s the units as built and certainly up until 2001, when I stopped driving them only were able to have the night headlight switched on.

The switch in the cab was marked "off, tail, markers, headlight" so although there was a day headlight there was no way of turning it on.

I know that does not make sense, and it made no sense to those of us driving them either. But then there were a lot of stupid things about class 142s.

Here is another daft design quirk, the destination screen you had to open and hold open one hinged flap to see the screen then open and hold open the other hinged flap to access the handle. Then you needed to turn the handle using your third hand. Unfortunately most of us are only born with two hands. Also I would have to stand on tip toes to reach, I'm average height at 5 foot 8. I assume whoever designed them was very tall and had 3 arms.

Hi Charlie, could the other two not have various destinations or could these be made available separately perhaps?

I'd be interested in both the Provincial and Skipper examples but would prefer Greater Manchester / north west of England destinations.

Cheers,

Jim

Problem there is too that some of us will want North East area instead. Im sure Charlie will cover both. 

• RMweb Gold

Some of the units in the north-east are still 3+2 bus type seats. Not sure when the others were refurbished—I think they may date from when the NE and NW services were run by separate companies. Units have moved around since then.

The 3+2 units often seem to turn up on the Saltburn to Bishop Auckland line.

Edited by D9020 Nimbus

Some of the units in the north-east are still 3+2 bus type seats. Not sure when the others were refurbished—I think they may date from when the NE and NW services were run by separate companies. Units have moved around since then.

The 3+2 units often seem to turn up on the Saltburn to Bishop Auckland line.

The others were refurbished when the franchise changed for Northern Spirit. As a result some of the first 142s with the green interior seats were 142025, 50 and 65, with the latter the first one treated (noted by the silver line on the lower of the body).

Other units were then done the same way when the franchise moved on for Arriva Trains Northern, with the latter largely taking the credit for the work that had started. The green interior then remained as it was similar to spec that Arriva were doing. It also matched the 156 refresh that Northern Spirit had done for the class 156 fleet.

Units then passed from Arriva Trains Northern, to the previous Northern Rail franchise with the Heaton units all with the 2+2 seating, and in Arriva Trains Green and Cream. This then saw them stay with green seats and get painted into the new Northern Blue with purple, and light grey swish. Later, the worn seats and interiors were given a minor refresh with new paint inside and new seat covers.

This is how about 25 142s are done that were allocated to the North East.

The problem for Charlie (ironically of his own making!) is that by raising standards he is creating more of us having that attention to detail. Suddenly seats have become an area of interest, rather than accepted that some seats of some kind will be modelled. The 142 fleet has at least 4 types of seating that I can think of, being; (in no particular order) 

1. Original style 3+2 bus seats

2. 3+2 Mersyrail style seating

3. Class 144 Chapman 2+2 seats

4. Northern Spirit 142 refurb 2+2.

Charlie has said that he is going to be doing the 3+2 seats. I can understand why, as that means one moulding for the first batch and means that Northern, Skipper and Provincial can all be done. It would be nice if the Heaton seating was done later, but if that's the case, then seating for other areas might be needed too.

Thankfully, the 3+2 I think was done with standard Regional Railways, First North Western, GMPTE Regional Grey, GMPTE Orange, Skipper and Provincial - so plenty to choose from. But with the Heaton green seats being done in Regional Railways, RR Tyne and Wear, Arriva trains northern and Northern Rail, such a layout might prove to be worthwhile.

The problem with the Northern Rail livery is that it will be popular but people will want units based on their area, and the units tend to still stay roughly where they have ran for years. Yes some others do move around more, but it tends to be the same and as a result this seating issue is one we would all like to see done for our own areas now that Charlie and his team have brought excellent models and raised the standards so high.

Either way, I'm happy to get a 142 to these amazing standards and look forward to its arrival.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All the North East one seem to have 2 X 2 Seating & Posh seats!   We are not doing these.  Charlie

As do Arriva Trains Wales. A disappointment as I'd definitely have one of those.

784px-142069_C_Interior.JPG

Image from https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/142069_C_Interior.JPG/784px-142069_C_Interior.JPG

The photo above is of an Arriva Trains Wales refurbished interior.

ATW stuff is going for silly money for some reason and has been for a while - £53 for a Hornby ATW 142, £111 for a Bachmann 158, similar for ATW 57. Seems Wales is popular.

Edited for clarity re the photo.

Edited by ruggedpeak

• RMweb Premium

As do Arriva Trains Wales. A disappointment as I'd definitely have one of those.

Image from https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/142069_C_Interior.JPG/784px-142069_C_Interior.JPG

ATW stuff is going for silly money for some reason and has been for a while - £53 for a Hornby ATW 142, £111 for a Bachmann 158, similar for ATW 57. Seems Wales is popular.

Thank you for posting this picture. I never knew that some 142s had that type of seating. The ex Northern Rail ones now Arriva Rail North are completely different to this.

• Like 2

Thank you for posting this picture. I never knew that some 142s had that type of seating. The ex Northern Rail ones now Arriva Rail North are completely different to this.

Not quite true!  There are a batch of Northern 142s with Chapman Seating very similar to these, these units are normally found around Leeds & Newcastle areas, the seating layout is based on the 144 layout though.

Charlie.

• RMweb Premium

Not quite true!  There are a batch of Northern 142s with Chapman Seating very similar to these, these units are normally found around Leeds & Newcastle areas, the seating layout is based on the 144 layout though.

Charlie.

Thanks for letting me know Charlie. I wasn't aware of this either. I have been on a few 142s in and around Leeds and none of them have had this type of seating. I wonder how many have?

The seats there I thought are the Chapman ones that Arriva Trains Wales fitted into their fleet, very similar to the class 1443/144 units that have been converted. I'm not aware of any of the class 142s being done out with these.

The ones that I am aware of in the North East are all former Northern Spirit converts, which stayed that way through Arriva Trains Northern and into Northern Rail. These have now been refreshed with new covers and internals all done out in Northern Rail blue. About 25 units have been done this way. As seen in the link below.

http://www.gbrailway.co.uk/keyword/area;northern;seating/i-VZPFsfd/A

Shame these are not being done as I think after the traditional 3+2 bus seats these would be the best to use to have as internals given the liveries that can be done, being RR, TW, AV, NO, with lots of differences on the liveries to make them able to be done.

I have travelled on (too many) Northern class 142s and have never seen one with the type of seats in the photo. Only the bus seats and the ex-Northern Spirit refurbishment seats—both now given the Northern Rail blue upholstery.

The only other kind I have noticed are the ex-Mersyrail ones which have also become part of the Northern fleet. I'm not aware of the Chapman similar style being introduced to those in the Northern fleet, especially non that pass my house window. One of the things I notice is the seats to think roughly where the unit has been based rather than the number, as I generally look just to see it pass. 

Hopefully, Charlie will do the 3+2 seats and the 2+2 North East refurb ones eventually. 

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance here, but are the newer 2+2 seats not the same as those in the 143, so the mouldings etc for this arrangement already exist for that model? I'd have thought the two seat mouldings would be interchangeable but I'm far from an expert...

As recent as a few years ago the 3+2 seating was still on northern 142's on the route between York and Harrogate. It only seems to be those local to me running Morpeth - Metrocentre and the units used on the tyne valley to Carlisle that have 2+2 seats.

• Like 1

Very interesting. I travel on those trains several times a week and I have never been on a 142 with 2+2 seating.

Maybe they are only put onto specific services/diagrams?

Generally in the Leeds area, we love the Posh Seats.   Not cattle class as in Manchester!!

• RMweb Gold

I'm six feet tall, and can only manage to sit in those 'posh' seats if I sit sideways. I think they are pitched too tightly. Around Hull the 142's, these days, are those that have 3+2 bus seats, and, perversely, they have more leg-room!

Regards,

Rob.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Maybe the provincial one could be 142049, would be amusing for our Canadian friends...

http://www.railwayherald.co.uk/imagingcentre/view/285537/WV

Might be the option for a North American delivery pack too..

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2414862

Somehow, I can't see a 142 being done in H0 gauge... (although Jason at Rapido bus fetish gets the better of him)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Somehow, I can't see a 142 being done in H0 gauge... (although Jason at Rapido bus fetish gets the better of him)

Cheers,

Mick

Don't need to do it HO... it still looks small in OO when posed next to some "standard" US stock" in HO. Edited by adb968008