Class 142

charliepetty

Get them while you can!

Been up in Sheffield, Pacer/Skipper heaven!

142's run the Sheffield - Manchester Piccadilly stopping services and 143's do the Cleethorpes and other runs; Lovely trip to Edale and back in a 142 :) The non-rail enthusiasts in the group were a little surprised to find bench seating! Had to sit along side Hope Sidings whilst a 66 and EWS aggregate wagons reversed in.

Sheffield-bound 142 entering Totley Tunnel from Grindleford Station.

gallery_24698_4132_449208.jpg

post-3411-0-64201900-1509226660_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I note that the latest Rapido newsletter has some news regarding the much anticipated Class 142. I'm certainly looking forward to ordering the Skipper version and maybe more than one. 

http://www.rapidouk.com/class-142-dmu/

Happy news indeed.

All the best 

Godfrey

They won't be spring though!!!!!!!!    As when we know it will be Pre-Orderable.    Charlie

post-3411-0-35876200-1515371248.jpg

post-3411-0-27223500-1515371378_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I note that the latest Rapido newsletter has some news regarding the much anticipated Class 142. I'm certainly looking forward to ordering the Skipper version and maybe more than one.

http://www.rapidouk.com/class-142-dmu/

Happy news indeed.

All the best

Godfrey

Hello I am not happy over news because I rather regional railway livery of class 142

Because Dapol have N gauge class 142 regional railway livery

Edited by class37418stag

Hello I am not happy over news because I rather regional railway livery of class 142

Because Dapol have N gauge class 142 regional railway livery

Give them chance. Northern was bound to be a popular first release as its one thats current at the moment and about to be the last many of the type will be in. 

The chocolate and cream version with the yellow doors, has the class done in this scheme as late as it can be done, so can use the same tooling run as the Northern set. 

Your regional railway versions will doubtless be popular, but much like the 156, will give chance for a standard popular later livery to be the follow up option to the current liveried first release. So just be patient. It will happen! 

When did yellow doors on chocolate and cream appear?

They changed the doors from 4 Leaf to 2 Leaf ones so check the pictures as it would be around that time.    Charlie

When did yellow doors on chocolate and cream appear?

They changed the doors from 4 Leaf to 2 Leaf ones so check the pictures as it would be around that time.    Charlie

post-3411-0-22635400-1516492625.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for this - that would place the model sometime from 1994 onwards according to this useful online resource:

https://sites.google.com/site/pacerchaser/pacer-pages/pacer-page-1--class-142

I would have however preferred an original 4-leaf brown one which would have offered the advantage of being suitable for both Western as well as northern operations.

Are there any plans to do an original one in the future?

• Like 1

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for this - that would place the model sometime from 1994 onwards according to this useful online resource:

https://sites.google.com/site/pacerchaser/pacer-pages/pacer-page-1--class-142

I would have however preferred an original 4-leaf brown one which would have offered the advantage of being suitable for both Western as well as northern operations.

Are there any plans to do an original one in the future?

I might have misunderstood the suggestions in this thread, but I thought the release will be 4-doors in brown? Would be grateful if you could clear this up Charlie! 

I might have misunderstood the suggestions in this thread, but I thought the release will be 4-doors in brown? Would be grateful if you could clear this up Charlie! 

Both Door types will bo done.   Provincial with 4 Leaf & Northern with 2 Leaf.   'Happy'

Charlie

• Like 1

Don't forget that the WR 142's went north (all of them?)to Newton Heath, so it's safe to order a chocolate and cream one and stick Oldham in the destination indicator. Newton Heath were slow changing the blinds, I went round the Oldham loop more than once with Western Super Mare on the front, sadly one of our traction inspectors didn't see the funny side. For brief time at NH it was possible to see six different liveries in one go, as built blue, GMPTE orange,GMPTE white red and darkgrey, chocolate and cream, Reggy Rail blue and Mersey Rail yellow.

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 2

Were the GMPTE and provincial ones (and for that matter Chocolate & Cream) used on any particular routes e.g. GMPTE liveried examples in Greater Manchester only where possible or were they used as a common pool?

Edited by Jim76

Were the GMPTE and provincial ones (and for that matter Chocolate & Cream) used on any particular routes e.g. GMPTE liveried examples in Greater Manchester only where possible or were they used as a common pool?

Not in my time at Victoria, at the time when sprinters were still being delivered the orange GMPTE ones went everywhere including Leeds/York, but on turns where they turned straight round for a return journey. Things settled down once the 155/6/8 units arrived, from Piccadilly there use was always more limited , Hope valley stoppers being there only longer run. Banned from Buxton and when Lancashire CC funded the Clitheroe reopening the contract stipulated no 142's although I believe this has now changed(?)

• RMweb Gold
On 23/01/2018 at 05:59, Jim76 said:

The Brown and Cream ones started in Cornwall but they didn't want them, so they migrated to Manchester.

Once in Manchester any livery of 142 went anywhere a 142 was allowed to wander... Blackpool, Blackburn, Rochdale, Southport, Wigan, Liverpool, Leeds, Crewe,Sheffield, Chester..

Not much has changed really other than now they tend to work with a Sprinter, thus having some disabled access to a train, before they ran singularly, pairs, triples to wherever.

(Would you believe I actually had a personal favourite 142... 002 and made a point in photographing it everytime I saw it)...indeed I actually liked photographing the things..

Here's one with a Provincial 142059 with Merseytravel logo..

And here's a pair of Skippers at Manchester Victoria, sadly the slide is degrading hence the rush to scan them in.

142002 at Bolton, with a provincial one..

Whilst reminiscing through DMU pictures of the early 1990's.. i just found this off topic thought provoker ..

I remember for a short period 158's were split with 156's and ran as a 2 car 156/158 combo during the first bad winter in Scotland after the 158's were introduced and found to be unable to work through the snow, due to lack of snowploughs.. the 156/158 combo would reverse round the loop in the station at Inverness before reversing direction.

Looking through my pictures' I can see how the initial Highland 156's were unnumbered at the front, and had "Super Sprinter" working on the sides (This was when the bridge over Loch ness collapsed and stranded some 37's with a new sub-shed at Muir of Ord set up to maintain services with a Bus Link, that was actually faster than it was direct by rail to Muir of Ord from Inverness), they went ahead with Sprinterisation anyway and took them to Muir of Ord by Road). I'm way off topic now.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

The Brown and Cream ones started in Cornwall but they didn't want them, so they migrated to Manchester.

Once in Manchester any livery of 142 went anywhere a 142 was allowed to wander... Blackpool, Blackburn, Rochdale, Southport, Wigan, Liverpool, Leeds, Crewe,Sheffield, Chester..

Not much has changed really other than now they tend to work with a Sprinter, thus having some disabled access to a train, before they ran singularly, pairs, triples to wherever.

(Would you believe I actually had a personal favourite 142... 002 and made a point in photographing it everytime I saw it)...indeed I actually liked photographing the things..

attachicon.gifIMG_0043.jpg

And here's a pair of Skippers at Manchester Victoria, sadly the slide is degrading hence the rush to scan them in.

attachicon.gif001017.jpg

attachicon.gif001023.jpg

Whilst reminiscing through DMU pictures of the early 1990's.. i just found this off topic thought provoker ..

attachicon.gifIMG_0016.jpg

I remember for a short period 158's were split with 156's and ran as a 2 car 156/158 combo during the first bad winter in Scotland after the 158's were introduced and found to be unable to work through the snow, due to lack of snowploughs.. the 156/158 combo would reverse round the loop in the station at Inverness before reversing direction.

Looking through my pictures' I can see how the initial Highland 156's were unnumbered at the front, and had "Super Sprinter" working on the sides (This was when the bridge over Loch ness collapsed and stranded some 37's with a new sub-shed at Muir of Ord set up to maintain services with a Bus Link, that was actually faster than it was direct by rail to Muir of Ord from Inverness), they went ahead with Sprinterisation anyway and took them to Muir of Ord by Road). I'm way off topic now.

The picture I think has all 3 vehicles being Class 150.

It wasnt a question of D&C not wanting them, it was a question of the 142s not physically getting around the corners and having to reverse out of some stations to get a run at the curve immediately after said station, you could actually see the metal filings from the wheels and rails in the four foot.

• RMweb Gold

Sligthly OT but the Bolton pictures reminds me of something, the gutters leaked badly and sorry to say I used to try to get a door postioned just right for an early bath !

I was there in April, they still leak, indeed it’s more of a flood now.

• RMweb Premium

. Banned from Buxton and when Lancashire CC funded the Clitheroe reopening the contract stipulated no 142's although I believe this has now changed(?)

It has.

The rumour elsewhere was incompatible track circuits from Blackburn to Clitheroe, but I never found out. It never heard the LCC contract stipulation, but it seems plausible. Even the signallers at Horrocksford Junction didn't know the reason.

There are photos of them on test (when new in GM orange/brown) through Clitheroe before the passenger service was reinstated in the 90s. But can't immediately locate any.

I was on a Clitheroe-Manchester on a 150 about 5 years ago and had to change to a 142 at Blackburn that had mistakenly been put on the Clitheroe run. The 150 then took up the 142's diagram towards Clitheroe as the 142 headed back to Manchester.

A couple of years before that, there was flooding in the Aire Valley that blocked the route and a train made up of 142/144 was sent from Skipton via Hellifield, Blackburn and Copy Pit to return them to Neville Hill. Apparently there were some red faces afterwards when it was realised that they were banned from the Hellifield-Blackburn line......... but then again, nobody could confirm why they were banned.

Whatever the problem was, it has been sorted and they now regularly turn up on the Manchester-Clitheroe.

Cheers,

Mick

attachicon.gifIMG_0043.jpg

attachicon.gif001017.jpg

attachicon.gif001023.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0016.jpg

rather than 'Merseytravel' logo on 142059 (at Eccles?), was that not the NW of 'Network Northwest'

• RMweb Gold

rather than 'Merseytravel' logo on 142059 (at Eccles?), was that not the NW of 'Network Northwest'

Shrugs shoulder.. I don't know. :dontknow:

I have a picture of a 150/2 painted in this style of scheme too.. partial red line instead of blue line under the dark blue.

Edited by adb968008