Deltang Radio Control receivers

lancer1027

Could anyone help with information as too which Deltang radio control receiver I would need. I am running 7mm diesels using mainly 1 1833 mashima motor.

I think the Rx-65 is the one to look at as 7mm stuff needs more amps? The board comes in 3A and the version with an additional daughter board gives 6A.

If you don't already know check out this site which has lots of knowledgeable people who run big amps stuff

http://www.freerails.com/view_forum.php?id=45

Hi,

Basically there are two types of Deltang receivers, the Rx4 series and the Rx6 ones. The Rx4 series are limited to 6v power supplies and moderate currents. The Rx6 ones are higher voltage and higher current.

I'd guess that you will need an Rx6 receiver for your 7mm locos.

Which one depends on a number of things. The Rx6 ones come with different voltage and current limits, some limited to 12 v and others go higher. Similarly the current limits vary. So I suggest if you can you test your locos to see what voltage they need for the sort of running speed you want, and also what the stall current is at that voltage. This will tell you which version(s) will suit.

Other things to think about, do you want to control auxiliary things like lights, horn, etc. as these will need additional outputs from the receiver.

You also need the version for the transmitter you will use, I tend to suggest the TX 22 as it will control up to 12 locos and does not cost much more than the single loco ones, but others may be more suitable eg if you want to control a number of things like lights, horn etc. You will need more controls on the Tx.

Hope this helps. If you can give more information then it should be possible to narrow the choice down.

Frank

You also need the version for the transmitter you will use, I tend to suggest the TX 22 as it will control up to 12 locos and does not cost much more than the single loco ones, but others may be more suitable eg if you want to control a number of things like lights, horn etc. You will need more controls on the Tx.

When I did a test model I went for the single-loco controller, which in retrospect was unwise. But I had never built one of these transmitters so didn't want to be overburdened with complexity. I bought all my stuff from Micron Radio Control but the chap who runs the Deltang business answers questions and gives advice freely which I found very welcome as an r/c novice.

Hi,

Basically there are two types of Deltang receivers, the Rx4 series and the Rx6 ones. The Rx4 series are limited to 6v power supplies and moderate currents. The Rx6 ones are higher voltage and higher current.

I'd guess that you will need an Rx6 receiver for your 7mm locos.

Which one depends on a number of things. The Rx6 ones come with different voltage and current limits, some limited to 12 v and others go higher. Similarly the current limits vary. So I suggest if you can you test your locos to see what voltage they need for the sort of running speed you want, and also what the stall current is at that voltage. This will tell you which version(s) will suit.

Other things to think about, do you want to control auxiliary things like lights, horn, etc. as these will need additional outputs from the receiver.

Hope this helps. If you can give more information then it should be possible to narrow the choice down.

Frank

Hi Frank, thankyou for the reply. I would be looking at possibly loco lights . But not horn as i operate sound from a bluetooth speaker operated via mobile phone.

I think Mashima type motors draw around 1.5 amps, but some Heljan loco's in 7mm draw around 2.5 amps if it's any help in deciding the best Deltang option?

Hi Frank, thankyou for the reply. I would be looking at possibly loco lights . But not horn as i operate sound from a bluetooth speaker operated via mobile phone.

Hi Guys,

By all accounts, I have been told that Andy at Micron seems very clued up on both Heljan and other RTR O gauge locos - thus can advise.

The Heljans can - on both motors - run as little as 1 amp even with a substantial load (ie heavy brass coaches), yet the stall can be 3 amps +?? I have been told that they hardly, if ever, stall ie get to 3 amps +. BUT if they do one could pop a decoder or overstress a battery.

AFAICT LiPo batteries, in an armoured/leak proof casing, may be the way to go - dont hold me to this info as this is third hand, albeit from trusted sources.

As you know Phill, motor amps are one thing, if the gearbox is efficient such makes a huge difference in battery performance - as we know, not only is there end float etc etc 'worm' drives, as used in many of our locos, are highly inefficient, some are better than others though - horses for course/you pays yer money and makes yer choice (ie ABC type boxes are superb - but it all relates to budget). Having said that we have some HD all metal diesel outline SM32 (battery RC) locos that will rescue a train (with kettle attached - in mid-gear of course) and will run for hours and hours - worm-drive with brass and metal parts, HD quality motor, plus fine tolerances in build.

Hope that the above might help a little.

ATVB

CME

As you know Phill, motor amps are one thing, if the gearbox is efficient such makes a huge difference in battery performance - as we know, not only is there end float etc etc 'worm' drives, as used in many of our locos, are highly inefficient, some are better than others though - horses for course/you pays yer money and makes yer choice (ie ABC type boxes are superb - but it all relates to budget). Having said that we have some HD all metal diesel outline SM32 (battery RC) locos that will rescue a train (with kettle attached - in mid-gear of course) and will run for hours and hours - worm-drive with brass and metal parts, HD quality motor, plus fine tolerances in build.

Hope that the above might help a little.

ATVB

CME

Battery  life/hours is totally of topic really..... 

Hi Lancer,

Sounds like the RX 65 should cover what you need. It will handle 3A at 18 V so should be OK, if in doubt then you could fit a 3A fuse of some sort, one shot ones would be OK but resettable ones would be more convenient.

The Rx 65 22 variant will work with the Tx22 which has centre off speed control as standard and can control up to 12 locos at once. As it is centre off the switch is not used for direction control so can be used for lights if you want. The Rx 65 has three outputs for lights (F outputs) which can be programmed for various settings.

Mircon Radio Control are very familiar with this equipment, they supply the Transmitters ready built which is an advantage (Deltang only supply them as kits) and they will supply the Rx with wires attached if you want and program the Rx for you if you explain what you want to do with the lights outputs.

Frank

Mircon Radio Control are very familiar with this equipment, they supply the Transmitters ready built which is an advantage (Deltang only supply them as kits) and they will supply the Rx with wires attached if you want and program the Rx for you if you explain what you want to do with the lights outputs.

Frank

Do they supply transmitter kits too? Looking at the various suppliers listed on the Deltang web site, very few actually seem to show Deltang equipment on their web sites.

Battery  life/hours is totally of topic really.....

I believe that the two things go together like hand-in-glove....you guys mentioned motor amperage and AFAIAC RC has lots of considerations, back in the day as well as motor power, one had to consider RX TX battery longevity and range...now clever circuits, improved tech., help eliminate such concerns. The battery and RX need to be able to cope with amperage and if using LiPo or Li Ion, then one needs to take extra care....

Do they supply transmitter kits too? Looking at the various suppliers listed on the Deltang web site, very few actually seem to show Deltang equipment on their web sites.

.....follow the Link I provided BGJ - I believe that they do yes, IIRC the cost benefit is marginal over the plug and play versions though.

ATVB

CME

I believe that the two things go together like hand-in-glove....you guys mentioned motor amperage and AFAIC RC has lots of considerations, back in the day as well as motor power, one had to consider RX TX battery longevity and range...now clever circuits, improved tech., help eliminate such concerns. The battery and RX need to be able to cope with amperage and if using LiPo or Li Ion, then one needs to take extra care....

.....follow the Link I provided BGJ - I believe that they do yes, IIRC the cost benefit is marginal over the plug and play versions though.

ATVB

CME

I do of course agree that efficient gearboxes roller bearings etc make a huge contribution to the running time between charges, but what I would like to know is who are the best suppliers & which components would be best to use with 7mm  Mashima single motor bogie loco's ? :)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a RXTX ? .....in simple language for us non-Tech folk lol ;)

I do of course agree that efficient gearboxes roller bearings etc make a huge contribution to the running time between charges, but what I would like to know is who are the best suppliers & which components would be best to use with 7mm  Mashima single motor bogie loco's ? :)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a RXTX ? .....in simple language for us non-Tech folk lol ;)

Agreed Phill, nowadays we have RX's and motor-drivers (in effect decoders) all rolled into one and like decoders (using the main motor batteries as there are clever circuits that help with battery management so that a signal can always be received and thus the model kept under control), with solid state microchips etc can be affected by various parameters. Sorry about abbreviations, as Robin2 wrote, TX=Transmitter and RX=Receiver...

As I say Micron seem very helpful and the other Posters state that other suppliers are also good.

May I ask, are you looking to miniaturise and/or change battery types Phill?

RX is shorthand for "receiver" and TX for "transmitter"

...R

Thanks - I should have made such clear - apologies to all..

Thanks, I don't know about Rob, but the plug & play stuff is much more appealing as my old hands & eyes are not happy with the fiddly stuff  either TBH :)

I agree Phill, tbf the price differences between kits and ready to play seem marginal when compared to eye, hands etc of 50 something duffers like me....are you looking to change systems?

Kindest to all,

CME

OK  i have had a look on the deltang site and i have tried to find the relavent items to assess costing. I am confused as it seems to only list Tx 22 in kit form. I dont really want to have to "build" this. Is there a built option and have over looked.

What is the difference between the black Tx22 and the red/white Tx22 ?. Which one would i need,

May I ask, are you looking to miniaturise and/or change battery types Phill?

I am quite happy with the AA type batteries in the Hymek Western & Warship which as you know use the Red Arrow R/C system, but I would really like to R/C my Westdale 121 & more modern batteries would probably be required for this as I would like the batteries out of sight in the guard compartment or under the floor .......any advice on this is much appreciated ;)

OK  i have had a look on the deltang site and i have tried to find the relavent items to assess costing. I am confused as it seems to only list Tx 22 in kit form. I dont really want to have to "build" this. Is there a built option and have over looked.

What is the difference between the black Tx22 and the red/white Tx22 ?. Which one would i need,

Deltang don't sell built transmitters anymore as they take up too much production time. You can get a built Tx from Micron Radio Control and RC Trains

The original black Deltang Tx and the more colourful micron ones are the same functionally. The knobs and switches might be in different positions but they do the same things. The Micron ones have a colourful case  and the plain Deltang one needs your own graphics applied. Either will do.

The Micron site would be a good place to start as they seem to be plug and play on there-I understand Andy has a lot of experience...

I am quite happy with the AA type batteries in the Hymek Western & Warship which as you know use the Red Arrow R/C system, but I would really like to R/C my Westdale 121 & more modern batteries would probably be required for this as I would like the batteries out of sight in the guard compartment or under the floor .......any advice on this is much appreciated ;)

LiPo, protected/armoured maybe something for you to look into. They, if good quality (ie as the RC electric fly-boys use) whilst being down on power, slightly, compared to Li Ion, they are more tried and tested, whereas Li Ion, in terms of chemical make up is still under development. I have been thinking along similar lines for 121/122 etc. But I dont want to end up with lots of transmitter types though-as we have wth H&BLR. 2.4Ghz makes things simpler now, but H&BLR stock was built up over many years....

Deltang don't sell built transmitters anymore as they take up too much production time. You can get a built Tx from Micron Radio Control and RC Trains

The original black Deltang Tx and the more colourful micron ones are the same functionally. The knobs and switches might be in different positions but they do the same things. The Micron ones have a colourful case  and the plain Deltang one needs your own graphics applied. Either will do.

Agreed-very useful info!

ATVB

CME

Apparently

Apparently Lithium ion Phosphate batteries are now available down to AAA size (200mAh) or AA size (700mAh) both in the conventional AA/AAA cell configuration. They give about 3.2V per cell and have non of the dangers of Lipoly types. The only problem seems to be that they are rated for no more than 2C output which means a AAA cell will give about 0.4 Amps and a AA cell 1.4 Amps. Apparently connecting them in parallel increases the output amps.

Apparently

Apparently Lithium ion Phosphate batteries are now available down to AAA size (200mAh) or AA size (700mAh) both in the conventional AA/AAA cell configuration. They give about 3.2V per cell and have non of the dangers of Lipoly types. The only problem seems to be that they are rated for no more than 2C output which means a AAA cell will give about 0.4 Amps and a AA cell 1.4 Amps. Apparently connecting them in parallel increases the output amps.

The solution is not to use like for like. So, as Phill and I would like to power a 122/121 with such, dont use AA or AAA format, use one of different formatted batteries, something akin to eg. a mobile phone battery in shape. I understand that Li-Po batteries can be supplied in that format and can provide the power for a single motor and gearbox adequately (ie for 7mm scale). I am led to understand that Micron will be equipping a Terrier with RC?!

Archived