Bachmann 2017 range

Neal Ball

The class 90s and Mk2F coaches / Mk2F DBSO would be a starting point or at least some sort of firm update as to where these are at the moment - Granted the Mk2F we had the 3D print of the gangway end at Warley 2015 but not a lot else since then . . .

As for any new tool announcements I would like still like to see a re-tool of the 4CEP to accommodate the revised location of the guards compartment in the refurbished variants and released in NSE and Jaffa Cake colours. This would certainly fit with MLVs already in said liveries as well as provide a good basis for future runs of the 4CEP in Connex and long shot perhaps some weathered versions as well.

A class 350 in transpennine colours would also be nice!

The 'Blue Brush' - D1733 as running in XP64 blue but without the red panels please? 

They can't produce any diesel without making retrograde steps on previous releases (late 47s with windscreen rivets, 37s with additional cantrail features and extra nose length) and you want them to do individual loco livery variations?

Cloud cuckoo-land awaits.

I wouldn't mind if Bachmann had a go at a Terrier on par with their E4, especially if they're going to make a habit of producing LBSC locos :) surely, eventually one of the companies has got to come up with newly tooled high detail Terrier...?

I would love to be proved wrong but I can see this being a project for one of the new 'commissioning' type companies rather than Bachmann or Hornby (unless Bachmann are commissioned). Hornby released a terrier (or 2?) in 2016 so its at least a couple of years before they would be in the frame. There are so many liveries and variations, the terrier would be suited more to a 10-or-so loco release to keep everyone happy - something that the 'big 2' don't do off their own back.

If we're talking LBSCR, I think that the K class could potentially follow the Atlantic when it finally hits the shops? I doubt it would be in this year's catalogue though!

• RMweb Premium

I know, but Heljan have never done the 33 right. The re-done 33/0 has errors, although it is better than the original & the 33/1 has errors (cab Windows).

We're at a bit of a crossroads for BR diesel and electric locos. Every loco type that lasted for any length of time, and many short-termers to boot, have already been done RTR, so it's all about which types are worth re-doing because the current versions are not up to modern standards and so a new version might sell. Whilst I think that applies to models done by Lima and Mainline, many of which have already been redone or announced, such as the 37, 40, 45, 47, 50, 73, 87, 90 and 92, I really cannot see the economics for Bachmann (or Dapol, DJM or Hornby for that matter) of going for more recent models such as the 26, 27, 31, 33, 50 or 86 that some people on here are asking for. Many others will have the current versions and will be happy enough with them to not be prepared to upgrade if a newer model was released, especially as they are by and large good runners.

Someone like SLW is a much better bet, because they will be going for that little bit extra in terms of accuracy and detail for sub-types and/or individual locos.

• RMweb Premium

I tend to agree with the post above.  There is no commercial gain in duplication or near-duplication (notwithstanding current developments by DJModels and Hornby among others) and the majors would need to be very careful what they chose for any new announcements.  Most classes in most liveries have already been offered in the "modern", or post-steam, era and there seems to be a discernible drift from steam to diesel and electric modelling among some sections of our community.

Class 33, and no doubt 26 and 27 which I don't own but have operated elsewhere, as offered by Heljan might not be fault-free but their smooth and powerful mechanism is still the best in my book even if it is a little power-hungry.  Once their thirst is understood it is easy to power up a little more than one might for other brands in order to get them started and to power off a moment early allowing them that last second to come smoothly to a stand at exactly the desired spot.  Bachmann hasn't achieved that yet.  Neither have they achieved the perfect body-moulding of any item.  All have faults.  If I were in the office at Barwell I would be leaving the types Heljan do well alone.  They are done and done well by our European friends and don't require anyone else stealing the market.

• RMweb Gold

I know, but Heljan have never done the 33 right. The re-done 33/0 has errors, although it is better than the original & the 33/1 has errors (cab Windows).

OK but they've sold loads of them so many buyers were willing to put up with the shortcomings.

The $64,000 question for anybody taking on a previously covered model is how many people are going to be motivated to buy a "better" one.

Given what has been happening to r-t-r prices generally, most of us will buy something we haven't already got rather than replacing something with flaws that we have been living with for a number of years.

The biggest reason Bachmann and Hornby continue to emphasize the steam era is that they still have hundreds of prototypes to pick from - main line diesel locos have pretty much all been done, several more than once. There is a vociferous lobby group for AC electrics that (to me) all look much the same and the trade in general don't seem too keen on "overhead".

It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that diesel and electric types which overlap the steam era have a much bigger potential market than those which don't.

The accepted wisdom is that Multiple Units of more than two cars are likely to be more expensive than the market will stand but they'll have to take on 3-car and 4-car sets soon, though, or they'll run out of subjects. For me, the obvious target is the Swindon (Class 120) Cross-Country unit, already announced for O gauge but as yet "unclaimed" in 4mm.

It's all well and good us promoting personal favourites that may or may not appeal to enough others but, if you were making the commercial decisions, what would you do?  

John

AC electrics cant be so unpopular if Hornby are working on an 87, DJ Models on a 92 and Bachmann on a 90. There was rumours of someone working on an 86 as well. In terms of modern locos, there aren't too many others to pick and choose from without looking at the AC electrics.

... and I'm sure they're equally different to lots of the steam locos which also all look the same to my eye

I would agree the Class 120 is an obvious target and I'd suggest the Class 104 / 110 would be ripe for a new model too

• RMweb Gold

I would really like to see Bachmann do the class 26/27 & 33, especially as we have the TC on the way (please).

This sort of post has got to stop.

I have three of the Heljan class 33s, and if anyone else brings one out I will not buy it and I suspect nor would a lot of other people. I would rather Bachmann spend their hard-earned cash on making something that does not already exist.

If you really want Bachmann to make these models, are you prepared to guarantee their sales? In other words, if necessary, will you purchase the whole production run yourself? If not, then please do not post comments like this, which imply that you want Bachmann to make something that will lose them money.

And, if you really want Bachmann to produce something to go with the 4TC, why not push (geddit?) for a 4REP?

Somehow I don't anticipate a lot new from Bachmann this time round, they still have a fair bit of catching up to do.

At Warley the EPs of the H2 and Birdcages were on view (nice!!) and these I have had on pre-order well over a year, but I gather it will still be Q3 soonest before I get my paws in them. 

With international trade likely to be somewhat more challenging over the next couple of years I am not raising my hopes too high. My most earnest wish is that Bachmann and Hornby weather whatever rough seas may be ahead in the future and continue to produce the goodies I wish to spend my kids inheritance on.

This sort of post has got to stop.

I'm sorry - what? You have got no right to tell anybody what they can and can't post if it falls within forum guidelines. That's what I would like to see Bachmann produce. I don't have any problem with healthy competition.

Dunsignalling above has hit the nail on the head. The cost of producing multiple units are increasing, so what's left for the manufacturers to produce? If Bachmann announce a 4 car Electrostar on Sunday and it takes 2 years to get to shop (optimistic in the current climate) - what's that going to cost? You may be able to afford one but who says everybody else will. Are YOU prepared to guarantee their sales?

Yes, Heljan have sold lots of the class 26/27/33 family of loco's but what competition is there?

Sorry if you don't like my point of view.

Kind regards

Somehow I don't anticipate a lot new from Bachmann this time round, they still have a fair bit of catching up to do.

At Warley the EPs of the H2 and Birdcages were on view (nice!!) and these I have had on pre-order well over a year, but I gather it will still be Q3 soonest before I get my paws in them. 

With international trade likely to be somewhat more challenging over the next couple of years I am not raising my hopes too high. My most earnest wish is that Bachmann and Hornby weather whatever rough seas may be ahead in the future and continue to produce the goodies I wish to spend my kids inheritance on.

I have to agree. I'm still amazed Hornby announced so many new toolings given their position right now. Bachmann were correctly reserved last year announcing only the 2-HAP (which can use a lot of existing EPB and DEMU parts only assembled in a different way), there are no rumours floating around so maybe there could be 1 or 2 new models but otherwise further runs of existing models in new numbers and colours.

Of course a I guess some BR 2MTs might be an easyish option using parts of the Ivatt versions. I doubt there will be a U class despite popularity in the poles. Class 86? maybe but maybe Oxford... duplicate 87, probably not.

Any chance of them doing a prototype like an 89 or Bullied diesels, I doubt it.

Some form of pregrouping steam engine which saw BR days? Possibly.

An SECR D class? I wish!

I got the impression that last year was a quiet year, with little in the way of new announcements. I would therefore expect something from Bachmann this year or at the very least some real progress on those things things people are still waiting for

Archived