Problem with new athearn rtr gp35 DC

PhilM

I managed to get a real bargain, brand new, Athearn RTR GP35 from the States, which arrived with no extra charges! But when it arrived it didnt run. The motor made a humming noise but little or no movement. I managed to coax it to grind along a bit then oiled the axle bearings and eventually got it moving nicely. Unfortunately every time I leave it a few hours it is back to almost square 1 i.e. a motor hum but no movement, then some slow grinding and eventually moving freely. I have tried getting some oil onto the drive shaft bearings but they are a little difficult to get to.I am a bit surprised that the stalling doesn't trip my Gauge-master controller which is normally pretty sensitive. I dont want the hassle and probable expense of sending it back. Can anyone give me some ideas?

WHEN you remove the motor, do so slowly.  A common problem is that the bottom motor clip is not holding the two end bells in place properly.  When you lift the motor, the loose clip will fall off and the motor brush and its spring will come out and vanish.  Now, if it IS clipped together, and you find that it doesn't spin freely, you've a bind in one or both of the motor bearings.  That's often caused by the end bells being out of parallel - fixing that is a trial and error thing.

Archived