Colas locomotive 37099 named ‘Merl Evans 1947 – 2016’

Andy Y

Going back many years, we had exciting times, with Mainline, Airfix and Lima entering the field to challenge Hornby. I didn’t know it then but Merl Evans was responsible for the design of the BR Standard 4 4-6-0. In contrast to what everyone else was doing, I felt that this locomotive was how they all should be done. It has left me with an abiding love of the Standard 4. A great life’s work. Thank you, Merl.

• RMweb Gold

Wonder if this will be a collectors club model or a general release. Fitting tribute to him

Being as i knew about this naming for a while I was hoping it would have been the latest collectors club model, hence why I joined just before warley 'just in case'!!

I would think it also requires new nose tooling, can`t remember any nose doors and headlight combo.

( Edit,37057 does have doors and a central headlight)

Superb work to all involved, looks stunning.

Edited by 47423

Guest spet0114

Is it me, or does the nameplate font look strikingly similar to that used on the old Mainline Railways logo? If so, then it's a nice touch.

When I first started working for BR at Harlow Town in 1978, 37099 was one of the regular locos on the Liverpool St/Cambridge/Kings Lynn service. Who would ever have thought it would still be in service today, and looking so good ? A wonderful tribute to Merl Evans, well done to all involved. 

• RMweb Gold

I would think it also requires new nose tooling, can`t remember any nose doors and headlight combo.

( Edit,37057 does have doors and a central headlight)

Superb work to all involved, looks stunning.

057s headlight is lower down than 099

• RMweb Gold

Well at least there's an accurate model of the driver available too :) nice pics and a super effort by Bachmann and Colas to name it which looks to have been appreciated by his wife.

Let's hope they can find a way to do the model even if the headlight is supplied as an add on part. I'm rather partial to 057 in red too.