Colas locomotive 37099 named ‘Merl Evans 1947 – 2016’

Andy Y

Fantastic looking loco, now sold out at Bachmann. Good tooling, new nose tooling for the correct headlight position and great livery application. As moaning as I am I can't really find anything to complain about with 099. 

Re sprung buffers, I think the problem is that this is the first class 37 that 'modern' up to date era modellers have received which has round buffers..Bachmann 37s with round buffers have never been sprung due to the design. So it's not old tooling, just the first time anything outside of BR blue or triple grey that hasn't had them. 

Easily swapped out if you wish anyway. 

Looking forward to the rest.. especially the railfreight general one!

Alex

• Like 1

Are the cab handrails separate?

I know the 'fixed' cab doors on recent refurbs still had wire handrails, but looking at retailer pics I'm begining to think the 37/0 has moulded handrails, which is a bit of a shame...

You are correct the handrails are moulded, but does not detract from the model imo. 

Edited by dave56
  • Like 1

You are correct the handrails are moulded, but does not detract from the model imo. 

Grrr.

Forget opening doors

Forget sprung buffers (these can be retrofitted, and at worse all that is needed is coat of satin black on the parts)

Moulded handrails ARE an issue, mainly because they can't be rectified without significant repainting. And I'm guessing colour matching of colas will be impossible!

This IS penny pinching if you ask me, but each to their own.

Especially as the refurbs have them, and for the same price (but same argument can be applied to sprung buffers I guess...)

Another reason why I have not yet got a 37/0...! ho hum.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting and informative comments,  this must be a first where a real loco has actually been altered etc to enable a "model" to be more accurate. Super-glue the buffer shanks !  lol 

It makes sens to have them unsprung to match the real thing. After all, I can't push them in either................

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I collected mine from my local model shop today. Ran it in as recommended by Bachmann, then changed the couplings for Kadee 19s, installed a chip and let it pull my Rule-1 version of coach set 904 round my layout a few times. It looks nice, in spite of all the things other people found wrong with it, and it works well. I am happy with it.

Edited by Budgie
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I collected mine from my local model shop today. Ran it in as recommended by Bachmann, then changed the couplings for Kadee 19s, installed a chip and let it pull my Rule-1 version of coach set 904 round my layout a few times. It looks nice, in spite of all the things other people found wrong with it, and it works well. I am happy with it.

That leads me on nicely to ask the question of what 37099 has been used for.NR trains of course which means,I think,either T&T with another 37 or a 97 ( ? ) DBSO.

For an almost complete ignoramus on the matter,advice would be appreciated,having just bought one from the 37 group,partly in tribute to Merl and partly because I have a few respray NR coaches and liked this model anyway.

• RMweb Premium

That leads me on nicely to ask the question of what 37099 has been used for.NR trains of course which means,I think,either T&T with another 37 or a 97 ( ? ) DBSO.

For an almost complete ignoramus on the matter,advice would be appreciated,having just bought one from the 37 group,partly in tribute to Merl and partly because I have a few respray NR coaches and liked this model anyway.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=37099%20colas for starters.

Then have a look at Big Jim's thread and search 37099

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Merl and 37116 top and tailing respectively, flashing past Kelvedon Church Street LC southbound on the GEML on 15/08/2018 with the Plain Line Pattern Recognition and Overhead Line inspection coaches

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Yes that correct, just received from our friends at Colas Rail

just to let you know that 37099 is on its way to Aberystwyth station and will be there until Monday morning. It's going to be working a number of ballast drops in top and tail format with 37418. 

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Shed said:

how would that work?

T3 possession of the line, it suspends all signalling and the PICOP is in charge of all movements at reduced speeds within the block. Limits are defined by Limit boards and detonators and the individual worksites also protected with different boards. 

I assume they put the signalling into an engineering mode so once the PICOP declares all machines and trains clear it resets. That’s how it works with axle counters but I’ve not actually got hands on with ERTMS. 

The rule book doesn’t give specifics on how it goes in and out of engineering mode as I suspect that can vary slightly depending on the panel make and layout. 

https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/rulebooks/GERT8000-T3 ERTMS Iss 4.pdf

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There are no marker boards or dets for an ERTMS T3 

you come to a stop at the relevant protecting movement authority board, speak to the signaller, fill out the paperwork and the possession is placed around you, isolate the ERTMS on the loco and go to work

to exit the possession once authorised you reinstate the ERTMS on the loco and the signaller will tell you to proceed to the next movement authority however as the system doesn’t know your exact location within a section it will only put you in ‘staff responsible’ mode where you are in ‘visual control’ of the train and cannot travel over 25kph, there is no computer intervention other than if you go above 25kph, once you pass over a belize in the track then the system will know your exact location and step you up to ‘on sight’ mode (normally in approach to a section marker) meaning you can pass one movement authority marker (effectively exiting the T3 section) and once over the axle counters beyond the marker it will then know you are complete and step you up to full supervision mode 

(I can assure you his will get edited later as it’s been 18 months since I did an ERTMS possession and I’ve deffo got bits wrong and I’ve asked a former colleague to “proof read” my post for me!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big jim said:

There are no marker boards or dets for an ERTMS T3 

you come to a stop at the relevant protecting movement authority board, speak to the signaller, fill out the paperwork and the possession is placed around you, isolate the ERTMS on the loco and go to work

to exit the possession once authorised you reinstate the ERTMS on the loco and the signaller will tell you to proceed to the next movement authority however as the system doesn’t know your exact location within a section it will only put you in ‘staff responsible’ mode where you are in ‘visual control’ of the train and cannot travel over 25kph, there is no computer intervention other than if you go above 25kph, once you pass over a belize in the track then the system will know your exact location and step you up to ‘on sight’ mode (normally in approach to a section marker) meaning you can pass one movement authority marker (effectively exiting the T3 section) and once over the axle counters beyond the marker it will then know you are complete and step you up to full supervision mode 

(I can assure you his will get edited later as it’s been 18 months since I did an ERTMS possession and I’ve deffo got bits wrong and I’ve asked a former colleague to “proof read” my post for me!)

I understood every word of that :no:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

T3 possession of the line, it suspends all signalling and the PICOP is in charge of all movements at reduced speeds within the block. Limits are defined by Limit boards and detonators and the individual worksites also protected with different boards. 

I assume they put the signalling into an engineering mode so once the PICOP declares all machines and trains clear it resets. That’s how it works with axle counters but I’ve not actually got hands on with ERTMS. 

The rule book doesn’t give specifics on how it goes in and out of engineering mode as I suspect that can vary slightly depending on the panel make and layout. 

https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/rulebooks/GERT8000-T3 ERTMS Iss 4.pdf

I known PICOW as Person in Charge of Work, is PICOP Person in Charge of Possession?

Thanks,

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, classy52 said:

I understood every word of that :no:

Ertms: it’s the future!

how do you think I feel, it’s such a weird system, there are a couple of interesting and ‘heated’ threads elsewhere on RMweb dealing with it if you fancy a read up and save cluttering this thread 

Edited by big jim
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...