Colas locomotive 37099 named ‘Merl Evans 1947 – 2016’

Andy Y

Arg - that was one thing that was (still is) making me hesitate about 099 - is the bulbous nose only an issue with the skirted noses or all 37/0s (even if cut away)?

Has anyone tried to shorten the bulbous nose ends? I imagine removing the nose end and rubbing gently on fine grade wet and dry paper would do the trick. Would need to be very careful to ensure even material removal all round. Problem could be the curve of the cutaway at the bottom.

John

Jeez calm down on the buffers .

It won’t be a mistake , it would cost more to make these “ gimmicks “ and that’s what they are - they don’t act like full size ones anyway .

Hornby binned rotating fans partly because cost , partly for performance . These changes happen a lot

I think you'll find that most Bach 37's with ROUND buffers are fixed non-sprung, unless of course somebody else knows different ? 

Edited to align with dave56's post............

I would support this statement - when Bach brought out the first re-tooled 37/0s they released the following at the same time:

Dutch 37 with oval sprung buffers

EWS 37114 with oval sprung buffers

Coal sector 37 with round unsprung buffers

No idea why but this was the case right back at first release (of that iteration - there was an earlier 37/0 that was different...).

Has anyone tried to shorten the bulbous nose ends? I imagine removing the nose end and rubbing gently on fine grade wet and dry paper would do the trick. Would need to be very careful to ensure even material removal all round. Problem could be the curve of the cutaway at the bottom.

John

I considered this, but firstly you'd loose the mounting pins, and it's also likely that the chassis may not fit afterwards unless it was altered length wise 

Arg - that was one thing that was (still is) making me hesitate about 099 - is the bulbous nose only an issue with the skirted noses or all 37/0s (even if cut away)?

It's all later Split- box (round buffered) 37/0's that have them .............AFAIK ? 

Edited by tractor_37260

I cut off the skirts from an old Bachmann 37038 in order to get a split box 37 with short nose ends. Had to build new buffer beams on the chassis and fit oval buffers.

I agree that trying to shorten the bulbous nose ends of a newer 37 could be a challenge.

John

post-18858-0-00997600-1534756717_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

I cut off the skirts from an old Bachmann 37038 in order to get a split box 37 with short nose ends. Had to build new buffer beams on the chassis and fit oval buffers.

I agree that trying to shorten the bulbous nose ends of a newer 37 could be a challenge.

John

Yep  - I've done the same on a early BR Green with cowlings version, and plated over the boxes with a few other mods -  it's now L/L 37 114 Dunrobin Castle. Note the working nose top head lights

post-2215-0-16362000-1535197471_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-73157600-1535197535_thumb.jpg

Edited by tractor_37260

Jeez calm down on the buffers .

It won’t be a mistake , it would cost more to make these “ gimmicks “ and that’s what they are - they don’t act like full size ones anyway .

Hornby binned rotating fans partly because cost , partly for performance . These changes happen a lot

Er no.

Some of us need them as we don't use tension lock couplings. If there wasn't a demand for "gimmicks" then Markits, Alan Gibson, Slaters, MJT and Lanarkshire (to name a few) wouldn't make sprung buffers.

DCC is a gimmick so should they bin that as well as most people don't use it and that adds a hell of a lot more to the final costs. Same goes for lights that don't get used, they don't act realistically either.

Jason

• Like 1

Its such a shame that this is the case. These locomotives now aren't cheap by any standard. For the extra price they should have done them all sprung. its the same as the opening cab doors. I have some earlier ones with them and most without. if Hornby can do it, im sure Bachmann shoud be able to do it. at the price of modern RTR locos the extra cost is acceptable in my opinion.

Lets not go backwards Bachmann !!!

Late to the party, but we're back off our hols and finally taken delivery of these lovelies ☺ Hope we haven't missed the rush?

They will be up on our site this evening, along with 37049 which has accompanied it. Keep an eye on our thread in the Model Shop Section for the finer details.

Cheers

Martin.

I'm pleased to see that 37099 doesn't have sprung buffers.

I bought a new Bachmann 37 which had buffers pointing upwards at 30 degrees!  When I posted here on RMweb it turned out to be a common problem with the sprung buffers on 37s.

I managed to sort out the problem but then one of the buffers kept falling out, again easy sort.

Regards Dcc sound it brings the model railway to life. It is a bit expensive but it is the way forward. Regards the colas 37 it is a fantastic model from Bachmann. I prefer no spring buffers on my locos save them popping out everywhere. I will putting legomanbiffo sound in my colas 37 next month and bring it too life. Definitely no gimmick

Regards Dcc sound it brings the model railway to life. It is a bit expensive but it is the way forward. Regards the colas 37 it is a fantastic model from Bachmann. I prefer no spring buffers on my locos save them popping out everywhere. I will putting legomanbiffo sound in my colas 37 next month and bring it too life. Definitely no gimmick

That's the very definition of a gimmick

Gimmick

.noun

an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal:

a hidden mechanical device by which a magician works a trick or a gambler controls a game of chance.

verb (used with object)

to equip or embellish with unnecessary features, especially in order to increase salability, acceptance, etc.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/gimmick

Sprung buffers are necessary. Therefore not a gimmick.

It's 2018, why do we have to start cutting up £150 models to fit proper buffers to them because people who use "toy train" couplings don't use them? It's only adding a few pence to the cost.

The Rapido Stirling Single even has them between locomotive and tender.

I'll probably get someone complaining about using the term "toy train couplings", but that's what they are. I've never seen one on a real train. Yet most of them have sprung buffers.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

That's the very definition of a gimmick

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/gimmick

Sprung buffers are necessary. Therefore not a gimmick.

It's 2018, why do we have to start cutting up £150 models to fit proper buffers to them because people who use "toy train" couplings don't use them? It's only adding a few pence to the cost.

The Rapido Stirling Single even has them between locomotive and tender.

I'll probably get someone complaining about using the term "toy train couplings", but that's what they are. I've never seen one on a real train. Yet most of them have sprung buffers.

Jason

Looking forward to a video of one of your trains taking a tight curve and compressing the buffers on the loco and all the wagons or alternatively some very heavy OO wagons compressing the buffers under slowing/braking. It would look very impressive.

Andy

I seem to have opened a can of worms here folks. At the risk of not sounding too condescending the issue of sprung buffers and opening doors for some (including myself) is a real issue. we pay a premium for these models and as such I consider it a backward step to start fitting these and the doors for that matter and then suddenly stopping them !. It OK to say lets move on but wait a minute, the cost of these models is circa £150 and I for one don't like the backward steps. 

Im certainly not going to take my bat and ball home as ive waited for this loco for some time now but at the end of the day its a backward step in my opinion and only serves to highlight that cost issues are now being factored into the equation. What an absolute shame that we are being deprived of even more detailed locomotives for the sake of a fiver or a tenner which if someones going to pay £150 for a loco..............wouldn't mind paying that bit more.

Its a personal choice at the end of the day and Bachmann continue to produce some excellent locos but im afraid that once the backward movements start then I fear we will see more of it in order to keep costs down.

There comes a point where cost versus quality will be the downfall and we see this everyday with companies on the high street.

Lets hope Bachmann don't start going down this route.

Edited by Krieghoff

I seem to have opened a can of worms here folks. At the risk of not sounding too condescending the issue of sprung buffers and opening doors for some (including myself) is a real issue. we pay a premium for these models and as such I consider it a backward step to start fitting these and the doors for that matter and then suddenly stopping them !. It OK to say lets move on but wait a minute, the cost of these models is circa £150 and I for one don't like the backward steps. 

Im certainly not going to take my bat and ball home as ive waited for this loco for some time now but at the end of the day its a backward step in my opinion and only serves to highlight that cost issues are now being factored into the equation. What an absolute shame that we are being deprived of even more detailed locomotives for the sake of a fiver or a tenner which if someones going to pay £150 for a loco..............wouldn't mind paying that bit more.

Its a personal choice at the end of the day and Bachmann continue to produce some excellent locos but im afraid that once the backward movements start then I fear we will see more of it in order to keep costs down.

There comes a point where cost versus quality will be the downfall and we see this everyday with companies on the high street.

Lets hope Bachmann don't start going down this route.

I loosened the lid for you  :jester:

Basically someone else will just come along and offer a much higher detailed Class 37 over Bachmann's like Hatton's did with the Class 66 and at a lower price point and there is already another thread discussing this with both Class 37 & 47 being touted as the ones that people want to be completely re-made or re-tooled thus if Bachmann are cost cutting then they are just shooting themselves in the foot.

Don't get me wrong the Bachmann Class 37 is a very good product and have a few of them but like with the Class 66 if you don't keep up you'll get left behind, you may argue that certain details don't matter but deep down they do...just my 2 pence worth.

Edited by classy52

“ toy train couplings “ . Ooh, coupling snob . You may not have noticed , but it is a toy train .

I can’t understand a NEED for spring buffers . Is this to adequately protect against rough shunting your 20g trucks ? ?

• Like 2

I loosened the lid for you  :jester:

Basically someone else will just come along and offer a much higher detailed Class 37 over Bachmann's like Hatton's did with the Class 66 and at a lower price point and there is already another thread discussing this with both Class 37 & 47 being touted as the ones that people want to be completely re-made or re-tooled thus if Bachmann are cost cutting then they are just shooting themselves in the foot.

Don't get me wrong the Bachmann Class 37 is a very good product and have a few of them but like with the Class 66 if you don't keep up you'll get left behind, you may argue that certain details don't matter but deep down they do...just my 2 pence worth.

Can you point me in the direction of the class 37 and 47 thread Classy ?

It

“ toy train couplings “ . Ooh, coupling snob . You may not have noticed , but it is a toy train .

I can’t understand a NEED for spring buffers . Is this to adequately protect against rough shunting your 20g trucks ?

its not a toy........................its a scale model representation of the real thing.

Edited by Krieghoff

• RMweb Premium

It

its not a toy........................its a scale model representation of the real thing.

Toy:

An object, especially a gadget or machine, regarded as providing amusement for an adult.

I must admit this "buffer envy" is providing great amusement to me (and others)