Painting 16 Ton Mineral Wagons

• RMweb Gold

Good evening All,

Having been a lurker for quite a while this is my first post!

Before getting anywhere near a layout I have been assembling some stock including 3 Parkside 16T Mineral Wagons with a view to modelling the green diesel or possibly late steam era. The kits have gone together quite well considering it's several decades since I last made one and I've now reached the painting stage. I've primed with Halfords grey aerosol and I was quite pleased with the body colour that gave me. However I pressed on and used a coat of Railmatch 309 "Later Freight Grey" as recommended on the Parkside website for green diesel era unfitted wagons.

They now look far too light a shade of grey!

a) Have I used the wrong paint? If so, any suggestions for the right colour please?

b) Is my memory at fault and Minerals really were that light a shade in the mid 60's under all the rust and dust? In which case I'll just have to get busy with the black and rust weathering!

Thanks in anticipation of your comments.

Barton Abbey

Good evening All,

Having been a lurker for quite a while this is my first post!

Before getting anywhere near a layout I have been assembling some stock including 3 Parkside 16T Mineral Wagons with a view to modelling the green diesel or possibly late steam era. The kits have gone together quite well considering it's several decades since I last made one and I've now reached the painting stage. I've primed with Halfords grey aerosol and I was quite pleased with the body colour that gave me. However I pressed on and used a coat of Railmatch 309 "Later Freight Grey" as recommended on the Parkside website for green diesel era unfitted wagons.

They now look far too light a shade of grey!

a) Have I used the wrong paint? If so, any suggestions for the right colour please?

B) Is my memory at fault and Minerals really were that light a shade in the mid 60's under all the rust and dust? In which case I'll just have to get busy with the black and rust weathering!

Thanks in anticipation of your comments.

Barton Abbey

They were a light grey; much lighter than GWR grey, for example. My recollection of the older BR grey was that it had a slightly 'bluer' tinge to it.

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p14663340.html is in the original BR grey, I think

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p14663341.html is the later, post 1964 shade

Have a look at some of the photos on this site for inspiration.

Guest stuartp

Humbrol 64 or Railmatch 309 here too, well weathered and rusted. The ones in my mid 60s reference photos have always seemed light to me, I don't remember them first hand.

It depends to some extent on the use of your wagon and the prototype lighting conditions that you want to portray. A grotty single wagon left in a siding for weeks under an overcast sky will appear much darker than a wagon in a main line coal train on a sunny day.

They were, when newly painted a very light shade.

Bernard

This is probably the best thread anywhere regarding weathering of 16t'ers etc

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13435&hilit=curate%27s

With the well known maestro of said techniques, Mr Pennine!

Ta :)

Although it does concentrate on later vehicles in Rail Grey, which is probably what the OP's Railmatch reference relates to.

Earlier greys did vary but generally, I've now settled on Revell 76 as the most versatile basis, finding most of the Humbrol greys slightly too dark. It's also a fair match for unpainted Airfix plastic, if running in the same train.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your input everyone. One things becomes very clear - there is not a "right answer" is there? Having looked at various sources I think I'm going to stick with the Railmatch "Later Freight Grey" and practice my weathering - got to start somewhere!

Thanks,

BartonAbbey

Archived