London Festival of Railway Modelling, Alexandra Palace, 25/26 March 2017

Andy Y

My question are Warners supplying the PPE? I know it is not expensive but suddenly with a week to go we have to pay out for equipment we may never need again.

We (The MRC) have a supply of hi viz for any of the layouts and demos who haven't or forget theirs. However it would be very helpful if those who have got them to bring them please as we won't have enough for everyone. As usual we are happy to deal with an questions or concerns directly.

We introduced risk assessments etc for several of our own activities a while ago - and like the idea or not it certainly got our members to think a bit more about themselves and others. Almost all of it is "common sense" but the act of seeing it printed out in black and white seems to be helpful for some.

Tom

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Weird, I thought I was going to see a thread about a model railway exhibition...

Swiftly returning to the real topic of this thread … that's right … Health & Safety …

I've been to a number of trade shows in my time - including some with sections devoted to H&S, at which some of the exhibitors have handed out cigarette lighters.

I know that some people might point out that I've always been strongly opposed to smoking (and had successfully nagged 2 older relatives to stop smoking, before I left primary school) - well, I'm not nagging anyone here, but I can't work out why exhibitors at H&S themed shows were handing out smoking equipment.

Meanwhile, at a motor trade show last summer, one exhibitor was using similar lighters to demonstrate the heat resistance of the insulation on some of their wire - and handing out "home demo packs", so show visitors could have a go for themselves.

Needless to say, as with the lighters from the H&S show, at least one of these things found it's way into the hands of a guy who won't be using it to light anything more dangerous than a "nightlight" candle - and even that only to facilitate the "ancient art" of "sprue stretching", when building plastic model kits.

Who said companies never give away anything useful at trade shows? I guess they might have a point … .

Huw.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Surely we all have brains and can look after ourselves. As stated in another thread What the hell happened to common sense ???

It was thought to be so common everybody expected everyone else to have it. It wasn't and they didn't.

• Like 4

http://www.charliemorecraft.com

I suggest anyone who doubts modern health and safety culture watches and reads the link above. There's a very pertinent moment in one of his speeches where one of his fellow patients is a modeller who has blinded himself when a power tool causes something to shatter and explode into his eyes when he wasn't wearing safety goggles. I'm sure that guy "knew what he was doing" and was "exercising common sense"

Of course, "health and safety" is common sense. It is also common sense to learn from mistakes and insist on full compliance with rules and regulations that have been designed to protect people. The consequences to you of someone else not following the rules could be terrible. You don't know. If there is a rule and you don't follow it because "you know better" And were following your "common sense" then I'm afraid you're not.

Personally I don't particularly care whether your own incompetence damages you, save for the extra taxes I pay to fund your healthcare, but I do care that your negligence could put me and my loved ones at risk.

In the context of all the dangers in the world, is it really too much to ask people to wear hi-vis gear when setting up? Is it too much of an indisposition? I don't think so. Probably has the added benefit of making it clear to marshals who should be there, and may know what they are doing, and who shouldn't...

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Surely we all have brains and can look after ourselves. As stated in another thread What the hell happened to common sense ???

Unfortunately, some h.o.m.o (to get round the naughty word filter) sapiens are lacking in common sense. The end result is hi-viz at model railway exhibitions...........

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If it makes anyone feel safer, I shall be walking through the doors on the Saturday wearing my company issue railway standard safety boots...   :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, some h.o.m.o (to get round the naughty word filter) sapiens are lacking in common sense. The end result is hi-viz at model railway exhibitions...........

An interesting choice of wording. After all isn't "h. sapiens" supposed to be Latin for "wise man"?

Unfortunately, a small number of "wise guys" wouldn't understand common sense if it whacked them on the head - and "hi-viz" (plus other PPE) is the result.

Saying that, it probably makes some people look slightly more prototypical … .

I've got my hi-viz outfit sorted....attachicon.gif[/url]

No - that just sticks out like a sore thumb … .

If it makes anyone feel safer, I shall be walking through the doors on the Saturday wearing my company issue railway standard safety boots... :jester

When I visit on the Sunday, I'll be wearing my steel toecapped "size 9s" - the same ones I wear most days. As they happen to be a decent fit (and can stand up to a lot of abuse), they'll make me feel very comfortable indeed - and a lot safer, to boot.

What about Hi Viz ruc sacs...do they count.....

No - but they'll come in very useful for carrying home any essential supplies purchased at the show.

Just like canary jackets, they might also make people slightly more visible if they have to do any walking or cycling late at night.

Anyway, I think it's time to get back to the trains.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1

Woodsville, stand number 6, is packed and ready to go. All forms signed and sent off, High Vis vests organised. Really looking forwards to an excellent weekend playing trains.

Please come and say hello to 5050 and me and the rest of the team.

GTi

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I must say i'm not impressed with the organisation .of the show,rather underwealmed by it last year but this year takes the biscuit.Andy

I'd say you need to be a bit more patient, We've not had any problems and have our pack, in fact they have been very accommodating with us.

I have been there as part of 2 clubs/societies and neither time was there issues.

We can, but what about when somebody who isnt watching where they are going walks into a pole, who is to blame for that, is it the person who put the pole there or the person who walked into it?

• RMweb Premium

In terms of being a visitor, I hope to get to the show on the Sunday. I'll be travelling by car this time though, and having never parked at AP before, can anyone point me to information on the parking arrangements?

In terms of being a visitor, I hope to get to the show on the Sunday. I'll be travelling by car this time though, and having never parked at AP before, can anyone point me to information on the parking arrangements?

Parking is free, at the bottom of the hill Ally Pally sits atop. There is a free shuttle bus that runs from the car parks to the top. The website probably has more detailed information, but there should also be signs up when you start getting near to the area.

Still waiting for paperwork/passes for layout which were supposed to be being sent soon(thursday)

Same here, chased BRMbut they passed the buck to the MRC.

Social secretary is poised ready to plan our evenings in LondonVillage but it all hangs on where the hotel is.

I must say i'm not impressed with the organisation .of the show,rather underwealmed by it last year but this year takes the biscuit.Andy

Same here.  No official paperwork/email about accommodation, passes, etc..

When I contacted Sam Porter at Warners earlier in the week about where we would be staying, all she said was, 'I believe it is The Premier Inn at Enfield, but he (Nick) will confirm this for you'.

Only 4 working days to go.

Peter

Edited by Crewlisle