London Festival of Railway Modelling, Alexandra Palace, 25/26 March 2017

Andy Y

Parking is free, at the bottom of the hill Ally Pally sits atop. There is a free shuttle bus that runs from the car parks to the top. The website probably has more detailed information, but there should also be signs up when you start getting near to the area.

I belive there's also a carpark at the top, I went a couple of years ago and parking was dead easy. The only problem was surrounding traffic! I'm thinking of getting the

train this time.

• RMweb Premium

Anyone got their e-tickets yet? I haven't. Ordered 16 Jan and told to expect 2 weeks before show; it's 1 week away now! I've e-mailed exhibit@warnersgroup.co.uk and hope for a reply soon!

Anyone got their e-tickets yet? I haven't. Ordered 16 Jan and told to expect 2 weeks before show; it's 1 week away now! I've e-mailed exhibit@warnersgroup.co.uk and hope for a reply soon!

Hi, not sure it will help but I got mine immediately after payment when I booked them a couple of weeks back. I chose the print at home option. Can you go into your account if you have one and see if you can print them out yourself ?

Good luck

Chris

I will try and chase up for folks on Monday morning.

Apparently there were delays in sending out some of the joining instructions as there were some late hotel changes. Everything should now have been sent out or will be within the next day.

Apparently there were delays in sending out some of the joining instructions as there were some late hotel changes. Everything should now have been sent out or will be within the next day.

Email with info pack arrived overnight, hotel in Enfield for 2017. Looks as though the floor plan has been updated very recently as our stand number has changed and the plans on the Warners website now show us in a different position to a couple of weeks back.

Looking forward to the show, a new loco to debut and hopefully some decentafter show entertainment too.

The MRC have just announced more demonstrations for the weekend, please see below the list from the website. Hope you will find something of interest during your visit.

Ceynix Railway Trees Tree Making Doubleo Scenics Scenery GC Weathering Painting figures Green Scene Scenery examples James Green Painting Kyteslights Regulated step down power adaptor

EM society demo

• Scratch building and kit building locomotives.
  • Making finer scale models from ready to run stock
  • Basic soldering techniques

The 2mm Scale Association

• loco re-wheeling
  • wagon building
  • demonstrating track building

The Scalefour Society

• building track work
  • a small demonstration test track

MRC club demonstrations

• Weathering wagons (Eric Sante)
  • Computer controlled cutting and CAD (Jean Francois)
  • Constructing layout building using card and leftover packaging such as cereal packets (Mike Tucker)
  • Building 4mm wagons (Chris Lyons)
  • Building 7mm wagons (Chris Boyce)
  • Building 4mm etched brass coaches (Ron Walker)
  • Building 7mm Coaches (Alan Blackburn)

• RMweb Gold

I much prefer this show to Warley. 35 layouts is plenty to see in one day and the general environment is just  so much more bright and cheerful than the NEC.

It is many years now since I did it as an exhibitor but the vehicle arrangements were also better than at Warley. Except of course, for the London traffic. Took about 3 hrs just to get to the start of the M3 on the Sunday evening.

Just a reminder to those coming by public transport?

The W3 bus, starting at Northumberland Park station and going via Tottenham Hale station, runs from outside Wood Green tube on the Piccadilly line, past Alexandra Palace on the GN route, to the door of the hall. It then continues down the hill to eventually reach Finsbury Park station (Clifton Terrace side).

This is in addition to any "specials" put on by the show organisers - I haven't checked if they are being run this year.

Stewart

• Like 1

Trying to book e-ticket with my subsciber discount just now.

Entered all combinations of my but still no luck.

I'll give up soon.

Dave

Hi Dave,

In order to receive your BRM discount, you need to enter your subscriber number prefixed with L17 in the promotion code box on the next page. This should be done in the format below.

Example: 0006789 becomes L176789.

If you're still having problems, private message us with your contact details and I'll ask Ticket Factory to call you.

Thanks

Philippa

• RMweb Gold

We are attending this year for the first time with the SLS stand. Should have around 4000 photo prints available for sale. Stand No 126. 

First time for me at the show either as a visitor or trader; looking forward to it.

Possibly a daft question - what twitter # are people using to plug it, doesn't seem much twitter activity and no clue on the Warners web page. (And yes we do need to start something about #YMRS on twitter too.

• RMweb Gold

This was new last year, and to the credit of the exhibitors, worked well.

I think it's a good idea - we have lots of occasional van drivers in a confined space with plenty of people wandering around. Making those people obvious can't be a bad. Arguably, it's probably less important for "proper" shows where there will be professional stand builders and people who drive vans all the time, and a lot less people wandering around.

It won't stop people doing stupid things such as diving through spaces between a moving vehicle and a stand, but we might just spot them.

Fully concur Phil. Even one accident avoided, and every minor injury prevented, is a success. The rules are common sense, and from putting up theatre sets regularly I can validate that safety boots might be prudent IF your layout has any heavy bits. A corner dropped on an unprotected toe is beeping painful! I now take and wear toe cap boots. Even something as basic as riggers gloves can save cuts and blisters. I can never understand why people whinge so much at H&S ideas when all that is being suggested is taking five minutes to weigh up the situation and apply the common sense you should be doing anyway,

Edited by john new

Possibly a daft question - what twitter # are people using to plug it, doesn't seem much twitter activity and no clue on the Warners web page. (And yes we do need to start something about #YMRS on twitter too.

We've posted pictures of a number of layouts on the MRC's Twitter (@modelrailclub), Facebook  and Instagram (both The Model Railway Club) accounts, and will do more over the weekend. Will happily retweet, like etc.

• Like 1

As with last year, railway engineering work will disrupt people attempting to use the train to get to Ally Pally from much of the south coast.

Affected routes include SWML into Waterloo and the BML (closed south of Three Bridges).

From the Bournemouth and Southampton direction, a detour via Reading and onwards to Paddington seems to be the best bet; however the GWML itself is reduced to 2 line running east of Twyford and many local services are disrupted or cancelled on that route too.

Still, better than last year, when both the Waterloo and Victoria routes were cut off on the same weekend.

• RMweb Gold

As with last year, railway engineering work will disrupt people attempting to use the train to get to Ally Pally from much of the south coast.

Affected routes include SWML into Waterloo and the BML (closed south of Three Bridges).

From the Bournemouth and Southampton direction, a detour via Reading and onwards to Paddington seems to be the best bet; however the GWML itself is reduced to 2 line running east of Twyford and many local services are disrupted or cancelled on that route too.

Still, better than last year, when both the Waterloo and Victoria routes were cut off on the same weekend.

GWML is a fairly standard weekend 2 track timetable this coming Saturday (2 track from 'Twyford' to 'Slough') so the fast services from Reading aren't too badly affected - just a matter of picking the right times to travel so no problems for folk coming off the South Western.

In typical two track timetable fashion on some of the clock face hours off our branch I can get to London quicker by first going west to Reading, and it's more convenient to come back that way in any case.  What is likely to be more interesting will be to see just how much work is actually taking place at, I presume, Maidenhead (and possibly Taplow?).   

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to ask another first time exhibitor question.

Tea/coffee - Is there an exhibitors crew room system as we run at York (so pack a coffee mug) or do we just have to buy from the standard concession outlets as per Warley/NEC?

• RMweb Premium

Tea/coffee - Is there an exhibitors crew room system as we run at York (so pack a coffee mug) or do we just have to buy from the standard concession outlets as per Warley/NEC?

I don't know but will be glad to see an answer.

Jamie

• Like 1

Yes - there is a tea room and urn for layouts and demonstrators. Cups would be very helpful...and trays...

• Like 1

GWML is a fairly standard weekend 2 track timetable this coming Saturday (2 track from 'Twyford' to 'Slough') so the fast services from Reading aren't too badly affected - just a matter of picking the right times to travel so no problems for folk coming off the South Western.

In typical two track timetable fashion on some of the clock face hours off our branch I can get to London quicker by first going west to Reading, and it's more convenient to come back that way in any case.  What is likely to be more interesting will be to see just how much work is actually taking place at, I presume, Maidenhead (and possibly Taplow?).   

I have read elsewhere that there will be a complete closure of the GW main line this coming Sunday morning between Hays & Harlington and Reading for switching on the power as far as Maidenhead.

Not sure if this link will work.

Edited by robertcwp