009 RTR British trains

Nile

• RMweb Premium

There's about a 5mm gap between the flywheel and roof, so plenty of room. The top of the flywheel is just below the windows, so it can't be seen when looking through the cab from front or rear.

With the recent release of the Minitrains Bagnal loco (probably the first mass produced 009 model of a British loco) there is now enough RTR stock available to run a British 009 model railway. With plenty of 009 track available from Peco it couldn't be easier now to model a narrow gauge railway in a small space.

Here are some examples from last night's test running at Willesden Junction.

My Bagnal with some Peco Glyn Valley coaches and brake van.

009_1.JPG

Another Bagnal with Peco L&B wagons and Glyn Valley brake van.

009_2.JPG

Just saw one in the shop it seems lacking in detail for a £120 locomotive

• RMweb Premium

You seem to not like the loco, maybe better buying something else.

There are lots of us who do like them.

People have been adding a few details to their individual taste.

• Like 1

Perhaps if it sold at the same levels as a mass produced OO scale RTR loco the price might be cheaper. But for a low production run by a small manufacturer the price is what would be expected.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

You seem to not like the loco, maybe better buying something else.

There are lots of us who do like them.

People have been adding a few details to their individual taste.

It's not that I don't like it, when you comper it to over RTR in the price range it's not that detailed

• RMweb Premium

That's the nature of the beast. The prototype was a fairly simple machine. I've only added a few details to mine (see my RTR workbench).

I suspect Minitrains have kept details to a minimum to keep costs (and financial risk) down . This is a bit of a punt for them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some more new RTR arrived today, two packs of Peco slate wagons.

post-6821-0-00637600-1485558406_thumb.jpg

A closer view of the two variants, with and without a brake.

post-6821-0-10947100-1485558405_thumb.jpg

The removable load is held in the wagon by some tiny clips that can just be seen along the bottom edge.

The wagons have NEM355 sockets and come fitted with short couplings for use within a fixed rake. Bemo type couplings are also supplied for use on the end wagons.

post-6821-0-13479400-1485558404_thumb.jpg

As usual with Peco the wheels are plastic. It's possible to fit metal Farish wheels, but the pin-points need to be shortened slightly for them to turn freely.

post-6821-0-15552400-1485558403_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

The coupling between them is a good idea, that Bemo style coupler looks a bit OTT... I think that brake handle looks ripe for cutting off and replacing with a separate item, it looks way to thick as it stands, rather like the old Triang plastic handrails!

Edited by Hobby

You  have  to  realise  that  the  pricing  for  models  is  based  on  amongst  other  factors, the  perceived   Volume potential  sales ( ie  how  many  may be  sold)  and the  complexity  of  assembly  (ie  how  fiddly  the  parts  are  to assemble)

Whilst it may seem to  some  readers  that a small narrow Gauge  loco  should ​ be  far less expensive  than  say  a 00 0-6-0T loco  it  is  simply  not  the  case.

A recent conversation  with  a  retailer regarding  numbers  he  sells in various  scales  was  quite interesting  particularly when  he  told  me  that  00 sales contribute to almost 90% of his  sales.

The new Peco slate waggons are a joy to behold. I was delighted to see that the removable loads are hollow. With each filled with Blu Tack, the weight increases considerably, and creates a very promising gravity train. Now to source some appropriate brakesmen...

Thanks  re  the  'Hollow'  I was  also  wondering  re  the  overall weight.  The  PECO  00-9 range does  tend  to  be  rather  on  the  light  side!

When  considering  your   gravity  train,  don't  forget to  include  the overtrack  'gantry' from  which  the  warning  ropes were  suspended  to  alert  the  brakesmen of  an  approaching, low  obstacle  ( Bridge, tunnel  etc!)

Edited by Stevelewis

Forgot  to  add  to  the  previous  re gravity  train,  you will need   a  Horse  Dandy  as  well  ( that's  not  the  horses  name, its  the  wagon in  which   the horses  which  had  hauled the  empties uphill, rode  back  down  again!)

There  was  a  layout  doing  the   exhibitions  in  the  90s  which  had  a  Gravity  train ,  although  in that  case  it  was  actually powered  by  a  motorised  wagon,  it  was good  though!

• Like 1

The horses were replaced in 1863!

What  surprised  me   yesterday,  when  I  had  a  look  at my Copies  of  the  History  of  the  Ffestiniog  ( JIC Boyd)  whose  pages  I had  not  turned  for  several  years!

That  Gravity  trains  were  continued to run  until  just  before  WW2 started!

What  surprised  me   yesterday,  when  I  had  a  look  at my Copies  of  the  History  of  the  Ffestiniog  ( JIC Boyd)  whose  pages  I had  not  turned  for  several  years!

That  Gravity  trains  were  continued to run  until  just  before  WW2 started!

Well - why wouldn't you?

Gravity is free - it was when they built the Festiniog, and it is today !!

It still seemed to work, too, when I last saw a demonstration gravity train a couple of years ago.

Regards,

John Isherwood

• RMweb Gold

Gravity slate trains on the FR continued until passenger trains were suspended in WW2.  

Up until that point the empties went back up on the rear of passenger trains and the loaded slates then worked back under gravity.   Once the passenger trains were suspended the empties had to be hauled up on their own so to avoid a wasted light engine run back down they were hauled both ways.

Martin

Any one  looking  for  retailers  that  have  stock  of  the Peco  slate  wagons?

Arcadiarail  Shaw  Nr  Oldham  has  good  stocks  I just  bought  some,   tel  for  speedy mail order   service  01706 882900  ( Tim is  the  man to speak to!) 

I  received a  couple of  packs  of  the Peco  Slate  wagons  today  from  Arcadia  Shaw  ( fast  delivery  excellent  price)

They  are  very  nice models spectacularly  tiny,   I feel  that perhaps  a  few  more  will be  needed  as  6  just  look  a  little  lost!  ( have  to  save  up  though)

I have  'weighed'  up  the  potential  of  increasing  their  weight,   One  wagon  empty  ( slate load  removed)  weighs  just  1  Gram, adding  the  slate  load  increases  the  weight  to just about  2  grams,  I tried stuffing  the  interior of the slate load  with Blu- Tak, which   increased the  weight  to  4 grams, I am unsure  if  this is  sufficient or  not, but  I will try a  little metal bashing  when  I can get  the  time and try to increase  weight  further  with  some  lead instead of  Blu Tak

I must  add  that  I have  not  tried  any  actual loco hauled  running  with  these  yet,  but  would  say that  when  I   tried  propelling the  6  along  the  track by  hand  they did seem to  run well

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Immediately after the introduction of steam locomotives even the passenger trains used gravity downhill, though not for long. The steam locos were able to pull more empties uphill than the horses, saving having to double track the line throughout.

Do you know if it was it the same horse pulling the train up the entire line, or did they change over part way to give the beast a rest?