Protection for card against sunlight

I am building a layout around my room currently and am looking to put a Metcalfe viaduct across the windowsill, the problem i think i am going to encounter is as with most printed surfaces in contact with the sun over a period they fade. Has anyone found or is there a way of protecting the printed surface against sunlight?  

Thanks Ash

I am building a layout around my room currently and am looking to put a Metcalfe viaduct across the windowsill, the problem i think i am going to encounter is as with most printed surfaces in contact with the sun over a period they fade. Has anyone found or is there a way of protecting the printed surface against sunlight?  

Thanks Ash

You will never find anything to protect from sunlight the best you can do is fit protective film to the window to help stop uv rays.

Dave

I keep the curtains drawn. One's collection is well worth a few pennies of electric light....

As here  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28222-dublo-layout/?hl=%2Bmy+%2Blayout    The window faced roughly north east too.

There is also the risk of direct sunlight causing plastic to warp.

Ghiant inkjet fixative spray is supposed to help but I cannot vouch for it long term as my layout is still young , it does however work in sealing printed paper or card so that weathering paints powders  or whatever do not run or bleed  .

The instructions for Smartmodels Heaton station kit state "If you are not using PaperMax matt coated Inkjet paper spray the paper printouts with matt vernish spray to seal them against moisture."

This would imply that if you are using PaperMax matt coated Inkjet paper  (Which Smart models can supply) then you don't need to spray.   I'm inclined to spray the finished model anyway.

I find the reference to moisture surprising as I understood it was UV that caused fading, Anyone got any views. I've only just started the model so no experience  as yet with this paper other than it gives a nice printout.

Dave

At my last company we used ink that was cured by UV exposure. The windows in the printshop had a self adhesive clear film that blocked UV rays. I was lucky enough to get hold of enough to treat the windows in my shed. Although they receive no direct sunlight, I dont want to take chances. This hobby ain't cheap.

Google UV blocking film, or anti-fading film.

Archived